Nikon D800......

I don't get it - the thread is in 'talk equipment', where you might hope to find something out - and I find endless postings of images that could've been sensibly taken with any number of cameras. I don't like to be negative, but it's not really enlightening ...

Hi, this is a thread dealing with a camera that was introduced in 2012. So, posts from the early days such as should I buy it ? or how does it compare ? you will not find today.

You will find pics by happy owners.

To offer some enlightenment :

You can be happy with old equipment

You do not always need the latest and greatest

(My personal experience: A NIKON D800 can complement Leica and SONY equipment.) :)

Hi, a young sparrow ... (Sigma 150-600 C ; crop) :

D80_5558-s150c.jpg

(Taken at FL 600mm. My Leica Tele-Elmar has 135mm, my SONY zoom goes to 200mm, so the D800 with the Sigma was my best combination for this pic.)

Hi, time to say good-bye. - I have used my D800 since May 2018. It never let me down! The new D850 will give me the same service as the D800, I hope.

Pics taken with my dear D800:

D80_6355-n70c.jpg

D80_6605-n70c.jpg

D80_6761-s150c.jpg

I did not want it to fall into wrong hands. So I gave it to my wife ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, time to say good-bye. - I have used my D800 since May 2018. It never let me down! The new D850 will give me the same service as the D800, I hope.

Pics taken with my dear D800:

View attachment 337276

View attachment 337277

View attachment 337278

I did not want it to fall into wrong hands. So I gave it to my wife ... ---

I felt quite sentimental sending mine off to @nandbytes - it really did make me what I am today that camera.

The D850 is ace though - I have one to compliment the 645z. The AF is more accurate and the dynamic range is actually a bit better than the already omnipresent D800.

The D800 will always be a revolutionary break through camera. At a time when the medium format's largest res was 40 or 50mp to get within touching distance of that - at a price of 1/3rd of a 645d of the time gave the well healed masses quality beyond their wildest dreams.

I felt quite sentimental sending mine off to @nandbytes - it really did make me what I am today that camera.

The D850 is ace though - I have one to compliment the 645z. The AF is more accurate and the dynamic range is actually a bit better than the already omnipresent D800.

The D800 will always be a revolutionary break through camera. At a time when the medium format's largest res was 40 or 50mp to get within touching distance of that - at a price of 1/3rd of a 645d of the time gave the well healed masses quality beyond their wildest dreams.
certainly a wonderful camera. Its still being used by my brother.

I have used it myself a few times especially with my AF-D 60mm macro lens (which I adapt on to my Sony). Still prefer the EVF though ;)

certainly a wonderful camera. Its still being used by my brother.

I have used it myself a few times especially with my AF-D 60mm macro lens (which I adapt on to my Sony). Still prefer the EVF though ;)

And that's very fair - some prefer driving automatic cars, some manual. The result is the same, the experience and usability quite different though.

D800 files are very adjustable and clean - but the D850 with the backlit sensor really is as clean as the CMOS on the 645z...

Back