Nikon D810 manual focus setting

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have hardly ever used my D810 on manual focus but now I'm starting to do some video stuff and I don't want it auto focussing so here is a question that I thought I ought to know but don't. On the camera there is a switch on the left hand side (as seen from behind the camera), it is marked AF and M (there is also a button in the middle which needn't concern us here). Also on my 24-70mm lens I have a switch marked MA and M. When I use the camera on manual mode do I have to change both, either, one or the other, or none of the switches (the none comes from the fact that I can manually focus without moving anything but if I touch the shutter button it will autofocus)?

You only need to use one of the switches.

Or if you disable the focus function on the shutter release and rely on back-button for focusing you don't need to use any switch! Although there is a chance of accidental autofocus that way.

I use the switch on the camera body most times.

You only need to use one of the switches.

Or if you disable the focus function on the shutter release and rely on back-button for focusing you don't need to use any switch! Although there is a chance of accidental autofocus that way.

I use the switch on the camera body most times.

Thanks for that. Yes, I do use back-button focussing so I guess I can just turn the focus ring and don't touch anything that will auto-focus once I've done it. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back