Nikon D90 and Sigma 10-20mm

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anybody out there have this camera and this lens? If so, have you had any problems getting them to work together?

The reason I ask is that one of our customers is having problems. He reports:
* the metering doesn't seem to work when the focusing goes beyond 1m;
* the aperture shows that it's going up to f/1;
* the autofocus doesn't respond when the shutter if half-pressed

There's nothing obviously wrong with the lens - or at least there was nothing wrong wth it when we tested it on a D70 - and there's nothing obviously wrong with his camera. (His 18-200VR works fine, for example.)

Some sort of Sigma firmware issue? Just "one of those things"? Any ideas?

We don't have a D90 but ours works fine with d70, D200 and D300, I'm fairly sure the D90 is similar-ish to the D300 as far as many of the working parts go. It does sound like a compatability issue, and Sigma do have their share of these, our Sigma 24-70 2.8 just stopped working on a D3 after 2 months, worked fine on everything else though, had to go back for fixing. Wayne

I have a Sigma 10-20 and a D90 and not experienced anything strange as you report.

Works just as any lens would. :)

As above my D90 + Sigma 10 - 20 works perfectly, as with the other lenses

How old is your lens, Stewart? It could be, as you suggest, that a firmware upgrade is required, given that the same sort of compatibility issues with Nikon are faced by 3rd party battery manufacturers.

How old is your lens, Stewart? It could be, as you suggest, that a firmware upgrade is required, given that the same sort of compatibility issues with Nikon are faced by 3rd party battery manufacturers.
Less than a year old.

Sigma are generally quite good at posting information when their lenses require firmware updates. There's been no official mention of any D90 compatibility issues, which means that either:
(a) there aren't any systematic D90 compatibility issues; or
(b) there aren't any systematic D90 compatibility issues that they they know of; or
(c) there are systematic D90 compatibility issues but they don't yet have a solution.

I know somebody with a D90 & 10-20, no issues reported. Unless this is a first, I would have expected the likes of Google to bring up a few results if there are general problems, as it must be a fairly common combination.

Back