Nikon D90 or Nikon D200

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Which of these is the best? Are they basically the same in IQ? I'm not interested in the Video Function!
D200 feels better as it feels like a camera - but am I loosing out on IQ compared to the D90?
Can't get on with the differences so one must go, but which one?

Help me obi1 - :thinking:

D90 is the better of the two. Muchio better ISO handling, better IQ (I Think) and much better battery life.

It's new vs old. New will always win (normally)

The responses will vary....really it comes down to two things.

1. Camera body - the age old D80/D90 vs. D200/D300 debate
2. Sensor - the older D80/D200 vs. the newer D90/D300

For IQ from the two you state I'd go for the D90 every time. I chose the D90 over a D300....then eventually moved on to my D700.

If money wasn't an object, I'd get a D90. Better high iso, and 4x better screen...but that's about it.

For value for money though - excellent condition D200 - £400 delivered (if you're lucky), or £620 for new warrantied D90.

I chose the D200. The screen is more than sufficient to review sharpness at 100%, and the only thing I'm missing is 1 stop of high iso performance, which I can live with for £220. And the build quality of the D200 is to die for...magnesium body feels so much better than my D70 body!

Which of these is the best? Are they basically the same in IQ? I'm not interested in the Video Function!
D200 feels better as it feels like a camera - but am I loosing out on IQ compared to the D90?
Can't get on with the differences so one must go, but which one?

Help me obi1 - :thinking:

Can we take it from that that you own both? If so you really ought to be able to make your own mind up...;)

D200 has more noise about ISO 400

when comparing the D200/D300 below ISO400 its hard to pick see a difference, ISO about 400 and the D300 (or the D90) wins everytime

What do you shoot up to on your D200 then? The D90 is good for ISO 1200, 1600 at a push and 3200 for some serious PP work.

I would shoot ISO 800 no problem...yes the ISO is far superior on the newer models, but it wasn't worth £220 for me!

Although before I found this site's classified forum, and when D200s regularly go for £470-£500 on ebay, I would have picked the D90 hands down! Would have paid £150 for video, iso, and 2 years warranty, but I managed to get my sub 4k actuation example for £400 (so £220 difference) delivered so took that opportunity without thinking twice!

I'm having a few 'issues' at the moment with my D200.
It really is pretty terrible at high ISO's. Although 400 isn't that high if you ask me.....

But at 400 it is very bad. And very ugly. Of course, you could always download the FREE Noiseware program which removes it very nicely, but it's all a bit time consuming.

I'd like a D90, and I put a for trade ad in the classifieds section.
Oddly, I haven't had any interest :D :wacky:

Back