Nikon D90 Vs D300

take a pic, then view the exif.

you could check file number on the cam, but that could have been reset.

The exif wont lie.

Thanks Monkey, correct me if I'm wrong. To view the EXIF on the D300, you press "play" to view the photo on the LCD screen then press up or down on the cursor pad until it shows the EXIF?

Shak, thanks mate but I will need to be able to check it at the shop so won't have a PC with me to down the photos.

You could always ask for a sealed box... and have them open it in front of you if you want to check the contents is all there...

You could always ask for a sealed box... and have them open it in front of you if you want to check the contents is all there...

I've been told that Nikon don't seal their boxes. I really just want to check if the sales assistants have messed around with it before I get it. I don't want to pay full price for something that's been messed around with/ex demo etc.

I've been told that Nikon don't seal their boxes. I really just want to check if the sales assistants have messed around with it before I get it. I don't want to pay full price for something that's been messed around with/ex demo etc.

Realistically though, people do look at things in shops.

If you went into a shop and asked to look at a D300 and there wasnt one out, they would get one out for you,let you have a look, then put it back.

As long as it hasnt been used and returned, then i wouldnt worry.

Use the software I posted then if it shows any clicks then take it back. I'm pretty sure Nikon don't seal their boxes. None of mine ever have been.

Unless they charged batteries that's unlikely.
Ex Demo should be marked as such.

You only started this thread so you could show your mrs that every one said the d300 is better so for your mrs (THE D300 IS BETTER)

Well, thanks to this thread I have a D300 on the way! Didn't think I'd be saying that at the beginning of the week.......

Best of all, the Mrs knows and I'm still alive!!!!!

Get my grubbies on it tomorrow afternoon. :D

Cool! I am 100% certain you will love it, its a fantastic bit of kit!

Unless they charged batteries that's unlikely.
Ex Demo should be marked as such.

Yeah but because the D300 uses the same battery as other cameras e.g D80 then they could have one lying around already charged. I see what you're saying that its unlikely. But if they had one that had taken say 30 photos with a few greasy finger print marks and one which is unused, untouched etc then I would definitely prefer the latter.

You only started this thread so you could show your mrs that every one said the d300 is better so for your mrs (THE D300 IS BETTER)

(y) just showed her your message! :LOL:

Well, thanks to this thread I have a D300 on the way! Didn't think I'd be saying that at the beginning of the week.......

Best of all, the Mrs knows and I'm still alive!!!!!

Get my grubbies on it tomorrow afternoon. :D

Cool! I'm picking mine up tomorrow hopefully. Managed to get myself a 4gb Ex-III CF card for under £15 yesterday too :woot:

Cool! I'm picking mine up tomorrow hopefully. Managed to get myself a 4gb Ex-III CF card for under £15 yesterday too :woot:

Groovy, I opted for the 8Gb IV in the end as there were still doubts if III vs IV made a difference or not. It was £67 in the end which I didn't think was terrible.

Of course I also 'had to' get the Nikon 50mm 1.8D, 52mm Hoya PD-1 Filter, New Frotto plate, new dust blower, lens pen etc.. etc.. Didn't tell my Mrs about that lot though..... :bonk:

Be interesting to do some speed/buffer testing......

I use Extreme IV and RAW all the time for motorsport, and it's super lightning quick compared to using a standard SD card in my D80. :)

D300 owner here ... Have had it for a few months now ... Awesome camera if a bit daunting for those — including me — coming from a strictly consumer model ... It seems like there's always a way — meaning a setting — to screw up the photo or render it just not quite right ...

I'm a reporter who takes his own photos and wanted something high-performance after missing so many shots or getting blurry ones with my old Sony DSC-F707 (a terrific camera within certain parameters) ...

Luckily, I shoot nearly every day so the learning curve has been a little more compressed for me ... Otherwise, who knows how long it would have taken to get to this point ...

Still have much to grasp, particularly in getting manual settings correct in a minimum of time, which is critical when subjects are fleeting or don't necessarily want their picture taken ...

Here are a few recent shots ...

electribesetupaet6.jpg

morrieaxm8.jpg

halloween1aax4.jpg

The D300 is a brilliant camera, never ceases to amaze me.
But, looking at that last pic Diametro, isnt it a bit early for Halloween pumpkins?
Allan

hmmm diametro, fantom, 3 electribes and a MBP.. very nice! My other interest is music... for a while, my studio was: Virus TI 61-key, Nord Lead3, Proteus Keys, motif rack, Electribe ESX, MG mixer, MS2000R... now I just have a MotifXS and Mlan it to my MBP running stylus, FM8 and Omnisphere..

if all that sounds too cryptic to you all, imagine what we sound like to musicians, all f1.4/f8, DX/FX, Cmos/CCD, crop factor, IS/VR/OS/VC, macro etc...

To the side is this ... (and a V-Synth .. )

jupiter6sideaqe5.jpg

...and here's more shots of an earlier incarnation of my setup ... (but with the Sony ... )

junosetup1shc1.jpg

junosetup2syu8.jpg

(The Juno-106 is a lovely synth, but its showing symptoms of the dreaded voice-chip failure .... Fortunately, I have another waiting to be a donor ... But they will all end up goners sooner or later ... )

I should have been rehearsing for a show in 2 1/2 weeks ... of course, instead I spent five good hours getting into some lesser known features of the D300 ... (It's what I call high-level procrastination; an important or useful activity but not a priority at the moment ... )

Allanm ... Halloween is in less than two weeks ... !!! And Election Day is close behind ... !!!

Danbroad ... That was a nice hardware setup ... Surprised you got rid of the Virus ... As you can see, I'm big into the hardware ... Not a big fan of making music on computers ... But more power to you if you can come up with a softsetup that pleases you ...

Yeah ... the D300 is great ... But now I'm thinking D700 ... Am I crazy ??? Is it just gear lust? (You can see I already suffer to a degree ... Is that what these forums ultimately are about ... ??? I kid ... sort of ... But I'm sure there's a lot of great info here and lots of excellent photographers to glean info and inspiration from ...

OP, sorry to bring up this old thread! :(

But I'm in the same dilemma between the D90 and D300.

No doubt you're loving the D300?

Hi Vishal,

I have both a D90 and a D300 and they are both superb cameras. The D90 is significantly lighter (even with a grip) than the D300 and a little smaller.
The ability to shoot at higher ISO without introducing to much noise is excellent on the D90 but in a different league again on the D300. Even with a grip the D90 does not have the frame speed of a D300 so for sport/aviation etc the D300 wins.
But in every other way the D90 is just as good as the D300 at producing excellent images and whichever you choose I think you will be happy.

Hope this helps

Andy

Back