Nikon 'Err' message: Any Help?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, The internet as usual is a minefield of irrelevant information on this so I'm wondering if someone out there has had this happen to them.

Went to work yesterday with my trusty D810 and took the first pic and it returned the above message, best part of 24hrs later I have tried:

Different cards, both CF and SD
Leaving the battery out for 15 mins
Cleaning contacts
Charging battery
Different lenses

It makes the usual noise, I have observed the mirror lifting, I have locked up the mirror for cleaning and the shutter has also lifted. The LCD displays all the usual stuff, you press the release the "Err" appears, you press it again the normal read-out returns and then you press again and "Err" again.... and so on and so on.
When the "Err" msg is flashing the unit won't even switch off- I have to remove the battery. Live view can be activated, but it's black/plain... almost like the sensor isn't picking up anything. If you try to review what the shutter release has captured it says "Can not display this file" I've checked the cards on the computer too and no further files are shown.

The camera is well used but not abused (96k) it worked a dream last week......

Anyone with any ideas?

Only an observation based on your information.....

It seems there could be a sensor failure and/or related failure on the main electronics board that handles the sensor readout & internal processing?

What happens if you do a full reset in the menu?

If this is happening with all lenses it would seem possibly a fault with the contacts on the camera - a thorough (but careful)clean might produce results.

@Box Brownie Just gave that a try and its still the same. Logic dictates it does seem to be the sensor related as mechanically it's operating as it should.
@gramps Just given it another good clean but still nothing.

Really odd.

Any further advice anyone?.... I don't fancy paying for a repair as it's not my main camera and it's old!

Is there anything preventing the lens from twisting on to the click' stop, i.e. not making proper contact with the contacts on the body.
I've heard of screws coming loose and raised screw-heads causing issues.
Basically do all of the lenses come to the proper 'click' stop when fitting?

Is there anything preventing the lens from twisting on to the click' stop, i.e. not making proper contact with the contacts on the body.
I've heard of screws coming loose and raised screw-heads causing issues.
Basically do all of the lenses come to the proper 'click' stop when fitting?
Yes all lenses fit on normally- full clicks, none or stiffer or looser etc. The lens it was attached to yesterday when the error first came up has been attached to the camera probably for 12months+ too. The camera in the last week or so since it working fine hasn't been dropped or anything... and it's quite a robust camera anyway.

Put the camera in manual mode and check again.

I've had something like this when the aperture ring on the lens was moved off auto.

Sounds like the shutter is stuck. Try setting it to "lock mirror for cleaning" to see if both the mirror and shutter are functioning.
If the shutter is stuck, sometimes it can be realigned as a temporary fix... but it's usually very temporary at best.

You can also set it to enable taking pictures w/o a lens to ensure it is not a lens communication issue, which is the most common cause of an Err message.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for all the suggestions. For reference the shutter moves up, I've locked mirror up and done the blower thing- its been swapped through various modes on various lenses etc but to no avail. The shutter releases without the les but it still doesn't register an image and returns the error.
Even done a firmware update.

Sadly it seems its software/electronic and there's not much I can do as it stands.

Probably final thing to check, which is a bit of a long shot, try a different battery and / or clean the battery contacts. Power fluctuations, even small ones, can cause a multitude of problems.

Fully charged a second battery this afternoon just incase one of the cells had gone etc- it's really odd.... and a bit sad as I use Sony now but I had kept the Nikon just for a wide angle I had that I didn't want to have to buy for the Sony because there really was no justification.

Hi thanks for all the suggestions. For reference the shutter moves up, I've locked mirror up and done the blower thing- its been swapped through various modes on various lenses etc but to no avail. The shutter releases without the les but it still doesn't register an image and returns the error.
Even done a firmware update.

Sadly it seems its software/electronic and there's not much I can do as it stands.
I think you've done everything you can... and probably no point sending it for service IMO. Being 10 years old and at least 2 models back likely makes it "uneconomical to repair" (service center decision). But the D810 is still on the list of maintained/supported cameras, so getting an estimate is still worthwhile.

Agreed. Sadly the likely cost of repair will be similar if not more than the lens I need for the sony.

Last edited:
Back