Nikon F-301 body

In a matter as subjective as this (and I do think it is a case of wildly varying opinions depending on your preferences, size of your hands, your strength), the best bet is to go to a good camera store that stocks a lot of used film cameras to get a feel for them yourself.

I don't think there is much to choose between any of the old school manual focus Nikon body's, they are all about the same size really, nothing gets significantly bigger till you start with pro body's and motorwinders.
I'm gonna guess that an F90 is the start of things getting bigger and thats way into auto focus plastic land.

Does it have to be manual focus?

And as your mentioning the F301 do you want some thing that multiple modes like Program, Manual, Shutter/Aperture Priority, manual or auto advance?

Small and light you could go
Nikon EM aperture priority only I think
Nikon FG20
Nikon F301
Nikon F601M

AF
Nikon 401 think about the same size as a D300 (been 20 years since I sold a F401 :D )
Nikon F601AF
Nikon F65
Nikon F80 both very small and light

The Nikon FM and FE series are fairly small if you don't mind going back to their era.

Nearly all the 35mm SLRs had very good viewfinders, and some had interchangeable focus screens too. These are getting harder to find now. I read somewhere that the manual cameras had brighter VFs, because the AF systems sapped light, but I don't know if that's correct.

I use my F2 and FM occasionally does to remind myself what a real VF is like!

The Nikon FM and FE series are fairly small if you don't mind going back to their era.

Nearly all the 35mm SLRs had very good viewfinders, and some had interchangeable focus screens too. These are getting harder to find now. I read somewhere that the manual cameras had brighter VFs, because the AF systems sapped light, but I don't know if that's correct.

I use my F2 and FM occasionally does to remind myself what a real VF is like!

I,m with martyn on the this the f301 was a chunky beast mainly due to the built in power wind,if you want light then the FM and FE are the way to go

An FE2?

Good choice.

Have thought about getting another one of those, but it is to close in functionality to my F3. :)

Argh, the student in me is CALLING

found an F301 for £30.

the smaller FM, FE, FG all start at £125 +

Might be a cheapo for my first dip into the film world and get a F301...see whether i like it and then upgrade as neccessary...

If that comes with a lens that's a reasonable price but for body only it's about double what it should be unless it's a minter.

Hi guys. Looks a deal. Spent 45mins in the shop deliberating over a F301 and FM.

The f301 has next to no signs of use; whereas the FM looked 'vintage'. I think as I am used to the d300 the f301 feels nicer in my hand. I reckon due to it having the projection on one side like dslrs to grip whereas the FM is relatively flat. The size difference imo was negligible - I was expecting the Fm,FE to be alot smaller than they were- next to eachother, the F301 is a cm or two taller.

They both have the GORGEOUS K2 nikon viewfinder with the split prism. I can MF so much easier!

The guy in the shop said the F301 was more forgiving for a first time film shooter. I plan to spend the first month or so using this and if the bug does bite in a big way - I can upgrade!

Got the F301 + 2 sets of battery + strap + 3 rolls of FUJI 100 colour film for £40

The FM was 129.99

Think I've made the right choice; I love the sound of the shutter! I also like the way *** working in camera shops treat me slightly mire attentively when u walk in with a film body on ** neck lol

Going to use my first roll of film up 2moro and post results! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Well done Mel. It does make a fantastic sound does that shutter, looking forward to seeing your first attempts.

Andy

Hi guys. Looks a deal. Spent 45mins in the shop deliberating over a F301 and FM.

The f301 has next to no signs of use; whereas the FM looked 'vintage'. I think as I am used to the d300 the f301 feels nicer in my hand. I reckon due to it having the projection on one side like dslrs to grip whereas the FM is relatively flat. The size difference imo was negligible - I was expecting the Fm,FE to be alot smaller than they were- next to eachother, the F301 is a cm or two taller.

They both have the GORGEOUS K2 nikon viewfinder with the split prism. I can MF so much easier!

The guy in the shop said the F301 was more forgiving for a first time film shooter. I plan to spend the first month or so using this and if the bug does bite in a big way - I can upgrade!

Got the F301 + 2 sets of battery + strap + 3 rolls of FUJI 100 colour film for £40

The FM was 129.99

Think I've made the right choice; I love the sound of the shutter! I also like the way *** working in camera shops treat me slightly mire attentively when u walk in with a film body on ** neck lol

Going to use my first roll of film up 2moro and post results! Thanks for the help!

Good choice.

I had an F301 way back when they first came out. Lovely camera and loads of great shots until it got stolen from a car in Grenoble in the late 80's.

Enjoy.

Ken

Back