Nikon F100 / Nikon F5 / Leica R3

Name
Rooban
Edit My Images
No
Thinking of grabbing one of these for getting into the world of film.

Kindly view that I'm an enthusiast and not a professional.

What I'm interested is good AF and all of these are available at £150 to
£200 range. The only advantage is I have already a set of basic Nikon Lenses ( since I own a D300) but still that red dot in Leica attracts me(though it is MF).

Your suggestions please. Thank you for your time.

Rooban

Last edited:
The F100 is a very good camera especially if you have Nikon DSLR and lenses, the Leica is manual focus so good AF may not be possible :)
The F5 is a pro level Nikon like the D3x if you can get one at £150 that would be a bargain, although they are a little bulky for my taste.
mark

Nikon F90x is also a good camera and I think should be available in your price range.

Andy

Go for an F3: I dumped my F5 in favour of the older camera - solid, robust...just quality...
The F90 and F90x always seemed a bit plasticky - no quality issues, just personal preference...

I'd have thought an F5 for that money will be rather well used. I've got an F100 and it's ace, feels very much like my D700, so will definitely feel similar to the D300. Bear in mind that if you're using DX lenses on the D300, they won't be much use on the F100 / F5 unless you're fond of heavy vignettes

Never used the Leica, so can't comment on that. I imagine the lenses wil be expensive?

The F100 is a very good camera especially if you have Nikon DSLR and lenses, the Leica is manual focus so good AF may not be possible :)
The F5 is a pro level Nikon like the D3x if you can get one at £150 that would be a bargain, although they are a little bulky for my taste.
mark

Cheers Mark. F5 is available for £180 in my local shop here.

Nikon F90x is also a good camera and I think should be available in your price range.

Andy

Cheers Andy, I too thought about F90 which I liked it very much except the motor noise.

Go for an F3: I dumped my F5 in favour of the older camera - solid, robust...just quality...
The F90 and F90x always seemed a bit plasticky - no quality issues, just personal preference...

Thanks Arkady. Hope you are doing well in Germany.
Just getting too lazy to use MF and I completely agree with your F3 comments. One of my friends has this and he is looking after the kit more than his kids.:D

I'd have thought an F5 for that money will be rather well used. I've got an F100 and it's ace, feels very much like my D700, so will definitely feel similar to the D300. Bear in mind that if you're using DX lenses on the D300, they won't be much use on the F100 / F5 unless you're fond of heavy vignettes

Never used the Leica, so can't comment on that. I imagine the lenses wil be expensive?

Cheers mate, I too have some olden days FX lenses,( still holding it , hoping that one day I will get into FX wagon). Leica is expensive :puke:, rather very expensive, that's the main obstacle. Yesterday I saw one Leica holdall ( to carry a rangefinder) in evilbay which is costing more than a used Nikor 18-200mm. :wacky:

Nikon F100 is a great piece of kit think it was the one below the F5 so solid.

F5 I would not go for simple because it is a big piece of heft kit, however again solid pro camera that can take a fair bashing and I think also compatible with the newer 'G' series lens.

I have an Leica R5 and love it. It is just so different on feel and use (yes I know it was heavily influenced by Minolta). Lens for the R Series are not as cheap as their Nikon counter parts and some of there lens are slower. But on the up side they are no where near as expensive as the range finder M series.

I have an F5 the pros are

Probably the fastest AF you can get with any AF lens, probably outperforms any modern DLSR.
Its built like a tank, I have read that nikon have serviced examples that have shot over a million frames.
One of the biggest bargains available at the moment. I don't know how much a F100 retailed for but the retail on an F5 was about £1500.
It is such a cool piece of industrial quality kit and probably represents the peak of SLR design.

Cons.
The set up menus are all numerical so you need to carry the book with you all the time or have a good memory.
Its built like a tank.

I would probably go for an F100 or F75 because I guess you don't need the bulk, durability and functionality of the F5. But if you have the cash get an F5 even if you don't use it will give you a warm glow whenever you handle it and fire of the shutter at 8 FPS.

F100 are ridiculously priced at the moment I think. they used to be a lot cheaper. I've seen them go for 180+pp , yesterday one ended at 127+pp although the BIN price was 110 :LOL: :wacky:

I have an F5 the pros are

Probably the fastest AF you can get with any AF lens, probably outperforms any modern DLSR.
Its built like a tank, I have read that nikon have serviced examples that have shot over a million frames.
One of the biggest bargains available at the moment. I don't know how much a F100 retailed for but the retail on an F5 was about £1500.
It is such a cool piece of industrial quality kit and probably represents the peak of SLR design.

Cons.
The set up menus are all numerical so you need to carry the book with you all the time or have a good memory.
Its built like a tank.

I would probably go for an F100 or F75 because I guess you don't need the bulk, durability and functionality of the F5. But if you have the cash get an F5 even if you don't use it will give you a warm glow whenever you handle it and fire of the shutter at 8 FPS.

(y) Cheers Andy

F100 are ridiculously priced at the moment I think. they used to be a lot cheaper. I've seen them go for 180+pp , yesterday one ended at 127+pp although the BIN price was 110 :LOL: :wacky:

That's true.
I do wonder what these ebays guys are upto.:shrug:
Recently I've seen one broken Nikor 18-55mm gone for a price some where closer to a new one. :D

Go for a FM2n Nikon,no batteries to power it other than the meter,small,1/250 sync speed ,1 to 1/4000 shuter ,bright viewfinder.Starting to rise in price though.A feature of it is if you use the self timer the mirror flips up and apature closes down as soon as you hit the shutter button so all that moves on exposure is the shutter,nice.
You can use your AF lenses so long as they have a apature ring on them but the focus ring feel too sloppy for my liking
I have a Nikon F70 up for sale,bit complicated to use but a nice bit of kit,cant use lenses without a apature ring though,any offers

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I'm away from Leeds now..!:crying:

Wish you good luck with the weather.

My grand dad told me once about W cube formula..Hope you know this before.

W - Work
W - Weather
W - Woman

Three things you shouldn't completely trust. :D

I'm tempted to stick mine up there and see what I can get for it!

Sorry mate, I'm away from Leeds now..!:crying:

Wish you good luck with the weather.

My grand dad told me once about W cube formula..Hope you know this before.

W - Work
W - Weather
W - Woman

Three things you shouldn't completely trust. :D

W - yeah - it can get messy :LOL:

I'm tempted to stick mine up there and see what I can get for it!

u should get a lot if it's minty. stick a link here afterwards, so we can laugh at that silly buyer ! :LOL:

Rooban - you can get lucky with the F80 , not that bad of a machine either. ok - there isn't that pro finish of f100, but - how often will u use it anyway ?

let Andrew win the lottery with the f100 on ebay ! :LOL:

It's a tough call, do I sell or not?
I love the F100 but if selling it means I can keep my D200 then it might have to happen.
Plus I have got 4 other 35mm slrs, a Zorki 4k, a Paxina and 4 russian omos that rarely/never get used.
Maybe getting rid of the F100 would force me to make more use of my FS1 and Hexinar 40mm combo...

Last edited:
If it's working and in good nick , let me know before you drop in evil bay...:)

Just getting too lazy to use MF and I completely agree with your F3 comments.

well should you consider MF...

here's a bargain F3 in mint- condition.........."link"

I love the F100 but if selling it means I can keep my D200 then it might have to happen.
Plus I have got 4 other 35mm slrs, a Zorki 4k, a Paxina and 4 russian omos that rarely/never get used.
Maybe getting rid of the F100 would force me to make more use of my FS1 and Hexinar 40mm combo...

Hexinar ? or hexanon 40mm ? I just finished a roll with 40mm hexanon, just to check how the camera is working. stupidly enough I have some finger photos :(
somewhat have failed photography by doing that :LOL:

:thinking: Hmmmmm
You've more than my local Camera shop has in it's display

Hexinar ? or hexanon 40mm ? I just finished a roll with 40mm hexanon, just to check how the camera is working. stupidly enough I have some finger photos :(
somewhat have failed photography by doing that :LOL:

:D Digital shooting habits die hard....! Keeping the fingers in non ergonomic positions.

Back