Nikon F2 AS

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone - Last week I found an old Nikon that had been given to me about 25 years ago - I put it in a box and forgot about it… I found it and realised thanks to the film community on Twitter that it was a F2 AS – Many many people made comments of such a wonderful camera that I thought I would clean it up and see if it still works

It cleaned up beautifully – there’s hardly any battle scars apart from a dink on the edge of the lens (typical) where I guess it was once dropped

I was just going to put a roll of firm through it and see what happens

I was hoping there are a few experts on here that can help me with two things

Firstly – has anyone replaced the foam seal that the mirror ‘lands’ on?

It also has a weird lever on the back of the camera which I guess allows double exposure – I’ve not seen anything like this before and while searching the internet over the last week I’ve not seen another one like it – if I’m honest I think it’s a pain as it’s quite intrusive when looking through the view finder so I may see if I can find a ‘normal’ back

I'll post some photo’s if anyone is interested but would love to hear your thoughts and comments

Thanks
Andy

What a find! Widely considered to be the best F2 version (although I am partial to the plain unmetered versions).

I’ve replaced the foam seals on all of my F2 cameras, including the ones in the mirror box. The main one is easy enough to replace, you can get a kit from eBay that’s pre-cut. Just use some isopropyl alcohol to clean off the residue from the old seals/adhesive and take your time. The F2 is slightly different in that there are side bits of foam at the top of the mirror box, they’re a bit tricky to replace but patience and steady hands help.

As for the lever, any photos? The only ones I can think of are the film advance and the blind for the eyepiece.

I can't help with the "weird lever on the back", but some more info on this particular model here: http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/nikonf2as/index.htm

Thanks - everyone was saying the same - I can see it's a much loved camera by the feedback - that's why I thought it's a good idea to clean it up and get it used - It was filthy and I didn't really know what it was and it ended up being boxed and forgotten about - That's really good to know about the seals - I may pick your brains a bit more if that's okay when I'm ready to do it - I'll upload some photos - especially of this thing of the back

Not the best photo - but you can see this extra lever on the back door

Attachments

• IMG_4285.JPG
    IMG_4285.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 62
World expert on this camera

https://soverf2repair.webs.com/

Might be worth asking him about the lever thing. He’s very approachable.
Email him with questions and photos. Mention the serial number as well.

I sent my F2 of to Sover Wong, really nice guy. Even sent me a CD back with all the pictures of the overhaul.

World expert on this camera

https://soverf2repair.webs.com/

Might be worth asking him about the lever thing. He’s very approachable.
Email him with questions and photos. Mention the serial number as well.

Thanks Trevor – I’ve heard his name a lot over the last few weeks of researching this camera – I heard he had a 14 month waiting list !! I’ll email him a better photo of this back and hopefully he can help – I would really prefer a back with no extra goodies on it as it makes it feel quite cumbersome – but really I need to see a roll of film before I start spending money

Looks like a version of this:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/variants/f2slidemagic/index.htm

Used for animation before computer graphics became good enough.

Looks like a version of this:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/variants/f2slidemagic/index.htm

Used for animation before computer graphics became good enough.

Ahhh - well done
I've been searching for a standard back door and they don't seem too pricey - Think I'm going to do the seals first and then run a roll of film through before I go too mad - Also just a battery coming tomorrow so fingers crossed the meter still works or it's Sunny 16 all the way !!

+1 for the Lightmeter app. I generally find I've always got it with me :)

Oh - and results of images in this thread plz :)

I did download a light meter app for my iPhone but I thought that might be cheating ????

If you are new to film..other than tricky light shots, you would have to make a complete cock-up of exposure not to get something on neg film as it can take about 5 stops over and 2 under because of its latitude

If you are new to film..other than tricky light shots, you would have to make a complete cock-up of exposure not to get something on neg film as it can take about 5 stops over and 2 under because of its latitude

I used to develop B&W film all though the 90's and i'm looking forward to picking it up again - Neopan 1600 was my favorite

Welcome. I wish I could find an F2AS lying around in my house! Neopan 1600 was a truly stunning film, one of the few film stocks I miss using - fast, gritty, and with a truly characteristic look.

Enjoy shooting and we look forward to seeing your results in due course.

Welcome. I wish I could find an F2AS lying around in my house! Neopan 1600 was a truly stunning film, one of the few film stocks I miss using - fast, gritty, and with a truly characteristic look.

Yes it was pretty damn lucky - Just to add to my luck, while I found that I found about 16 rolls of old expired Neopan !! Boom
My luck may run out when I do the seals hahaha -

Lots of guides and diagrams on replacing seals on almost every camera online - and for the ones where there isn't much information on the web, just take a picture of the existing seal locations, then remove and replace.

It seems a bit fiddly but with isopropyl alcohol and toothpicks its an easy job.

Lots of guides and diagrams on replacing seals on almost every camera online - and for the ones where there isn't much information on the web, just take a picture of the existing seal locations, then remove and replace.

It seems a bit fiddly but with isopropyl alcohol and toothpicks its an easy job.

Thanks freecom2 – I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos on how to do it to a variety of cameras – I’ve not seen one for the F2 tho – I’m guessing down the sides of the mirror will be tricky – but I’ll just do it when there’s no kids or interruptions and take my time – I just hope that after all this, the camera actually works okay !!

Can I offer one piece of advice when it comes to old foam removal.

Once you have soaked the old foam in IPA or lighter fuel and have dislodged them, if any of the gooey residue gets stuck to any camera surface, just leave it until the solvent evaporates. It then makes life a lot easier removing any odd bits of old foam.

Also with an F2 you fortunate that you can remove the focus screen, so no issues getting old dissolved foam on that surface..

Good Luck.

BR

Antony

Can I offer one piece of advice when it comes to old foam removal.

Once you have soaked the old foam in IPA or lighter fuel and have dislodged them, if any of the gooey residue gets stuck to any camera surface, just leave it until the solvent evaporates. It then makes life a lot easier removing any odd bits of old foam.

Also with an F2 you fortunate that you can remove the focus screen, so no issues getting old dissolved foam on that surface..

Good Luck.

BR

Antony

Thanks Antony - appreciate the advice
I'm sure getting it up to scratch is worth it - everyone seems to love these cameras

Cheers
Andy

Back