Nikon F90X Lens

Snapper73

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a Nikon F90x film camera for crimbo but none of my new lens will work on it as they have no aperture rings so they all stay at f22, i'm use to shooting with a D3 and not looking to try and match it but want to pick up a cheap lens to go on it, i've got a studio so would like to try it in there so what lens would you recommend. Would a 50mm f1.8 be a good buy ?

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I thought G lenses ought to work, so I fished about and Ken says...

"G lenses work perfectly in Program and shutter-priority.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]in Manual and Aperture-priority modes, [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]since they have no aperture ring, they work, but only at their minimum aperture.."

G lenses suck monkey bab, there are millions of non G that work just fine on an F90...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I thought G lenses ought to work, so I fished about and Ken says...

"G lenses work perfectly in Program and shutter-priority.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]in Manual and Aperture-priority modes, [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]since they have no aperture ring, they work, but only at their minimum aperture.."

G lenses suck monkey bab, there are millions of non G that work just fine on an F90...
[/FONT]

But in Program and shutter-priority you can't choose the aperture :thumbsdown: so its pointless.

That's true, but you're not stuck at f/22...;)

Anyway, the 50 1.8 will work great...

I know you got it for a Christmas present but you might be better of swapping it for and F75, F80, F100, F5 etc. Which won’t cost you a lot to swap to (F5 being the exception)and all the lenses for the D3 and the v.cheep G lenses will then work .

I know you got it for a Christmas present but you might be better of swapping it for and F75, F80, F100, F5 etc. Which won’t cost you a lot to swap to (F5 being the exception)and all the lenses for the D3 and the v.cheep G lenses will then work .

So my Nikon glass below will work on them bodys :thinking:

14-24m 2.8
24-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8

:)

I haven’t tried all the bodies but the f5 I have will do everything on all the lenses even VR. The compatibility charts I have looked at say the F75, F80, F100 will do the same.
Chop the F90 in for an F5 then the controls are all in the same places as the D3. It all works the same except when you try and look at the screen on the back and it’s not there.

You also need to think of the class of body. Very roughly...

The F75 and F80 would be D90 class
F90 and F100, D300 class
and F5, D3 class

The more recent bodies like the F80 will work with G lenses. The F80 is a nice body but in terms of build it could be seen as a downgrade from an F90.

If you wanted to keep the F90, look at any of the AF(D) lenses -- you could obviously use them on your D3 as well. Just pick a focal length you like -- 24, 35, 50, 180 are nice and aren't too expensive

I'm confused - you say your F90x will not adjust the aperture on your lenses? It won;t in A mode but will in P, S and M?

I read it as the camera is able to change the aperture but there's no way of manually changing it -- aperture priority. Seen this elsewhere but don't have an F90 to check.

True, aperture priority is not going to work unless you can physically change the aperture, and you can't. All the other modes are fine though.

Arthur

PS - sorry, I tell a lie. M mode is stuck in small aperture too.

Just had a play and a read of the manual. Aperture mode for lenses with no ring is fixed to lens minimum aperture and camera will try to set shutter speed for that aperture. Shutter priority mode will alter aperture for speed chosen. Programme mode will alter the shutter/aperture together to suit the subject - from fast/open to slower/closed. Manual will set aperture to minimum and alter speed only.

So, use P or S modes if you want an active aperture.

Arthur

I read it as the camera is able to change the aperture but there's no way of manually changing it -- aperture priority. Seen this elsewhere but don't have an F90 to check.

Yes this correct, I seem to use my D3 in manual & aperture mode all the time and also I need to manual to meter in the studio. ;)

Back