Nikon Flash Commander

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Just need some info from Nikon users, in particular those with D200 cameras.

I currently use a canon 30D with a 550Ex speedlight that I can use with another speedlight to do wireless flash pics. I've read somewhere that the D200 can wirelessly trigger and off-camera SB600/SB800 just through thje pop-up flash - is this true?

Also, does the pop-up flash have to fire to set off the off-camera flashgun like a slave unit in a studio triggers off a master using the light sensetive diode thingymijig?

I do snowboard photos and want to place flashes away from the shotting position but don't nesseccarily want to buy another SB600 or SB800, or buy a wireless trigger unit to fire them.

Yes the D80/200/300 can all fire an SB800 remotely using commands from the on-baord flash - you don't need any other kit. You can have up to 4 flash units on each of 3 channels - each one can have the power output set differently. One proviso - if you're only using the on-board flash to fire the slaves you need them to line up so the flash unit sensor can "see" the camera to respond (i.e. can't be behind a wall or snow-drift!). You can use a remote commander unit (SU-4) on the camera to get over that requirement.

You could always use one of the cheapo ebay wireless triggers with the D200 which will let you control any flash. You'll have to set the flash up manually though as it's just a 'fire' function so no TTL stuff. I use some with a D200, SB600 and old Jessops 400AFN.

Back