Nikon flash

Name
Deborah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice. I am relatively new to photography (bought my nikon d3100 in September). I was wondering whats the difference between Nikon flash and which would you recommend. I mainly take portrait shots (due to having a gorgeous 2 year old girl). I'm a little confused with flash lol any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Depends on budget - a used sb600 is around £125 while a new sb910 is £340. I started on a sb400, then a sb600 which was much better, now use an sb900 which is big but brilliant. Generally I would say the more you spend the more powerful it is. It is great for bouncing off ceilings.

The 700 may be the one to go for at £200 new.

If you are looking for cheaper alternative I can recommend the Yongnuo 560 III flash gun, it's around £60 on ebay, it's full manual, but if you want an i-TTL version, Yongnuo do a 568EX for Nikon model that is i-TTL for about £120, really good value for money.

The newer nikon flashes (SB700/900) are actually a little weaker than the older models (SB600/800) but have nice user interface.

IMO, the real question is how do you plan to use it and with what camera. I would suggest a simple manual flash, stand, umbrella, trigger....or CLS if indoors/short distances and your camera body supports it.

Manual flash is probably the easiest to learn/understand, just like manual mode on the camera is the easiest to learn/understand, when it comes to really being in control of what's happening.

The newer nikon flashes (SB700/900) are actually a little weaker than the older models (SB600/800) but have nice user interface.

IMO, the real question is how do you plan to use it and with what camera. I would suggest a simple manual flash, stand, umbrella, trigger....or CLS if indoors/short distances and your camera body supports it.

Manual flash is probably the easiest to learn/understand, just like manual mode on the camera is the easiest to learn/understand, when it comes to really being in control of what's happening.

Really? The op is new to photography and will be taking pics of a 2yo, I would say that ttl is far better and easier than manual.

I use manual most of the time but it takes time to understand and making assumptions based on info above would not recommend a manual flash.

Really? The op is new to photography and will be taking pics of a 2yo, I would say that ttl is far better and easier than manual.

I use manual most of the time but it takes time to understand and making assumptions based on info above would not recommend a manual flash.

I agree TTL may be easier to "use," but not to really "understand/control."

With TTL there are different factors that can change it's behavior. Camera mode, metering mode/point, etc. And there are peculiarities that need to be understood such as EC/FEC interactions, flash metering vs camera metering, etc. And then there are TTL specific modes such as FP/BL... If you don't understand all of this TTL can actually be quite confusing because it's just "doing what it wants." Granted, TTL works quite well a lot of the time, but so does the P mode on your camera.

And a lot of the rules and advice one will find about flash are "wrong" when it comes to TTL.

FWIW, I'm normally in TTL/CLS and I only use manual flash as my "fall back" when if I'm not getting the results I'm expecting/wanting.

Back