Nikon SB800 or Sigma 500 DG Super ???which one???

Edit My Images
Yes
as the title really

i have been allowed to get a new flash for my D70 :clap: :clap: , i currently have a fantastic but older Nikon SB25 which works on the camera in manual , but not in auto mode ( iTTL ),

so need a newer flash to be compatable,

however i am torn between branding and price to be honest:banghead:

i would like feedback ( preferably from Nikon users ) on either or both of these flash units and to how they feel and work on the camera,

when new, the SB25 was the top of the tree, and felt like it in quality and operation,
i however 'held' a Nikon SB600 today and it felt ' cheaper ' somehow, possibly cuz it didnt have any batteris in ??

let me know ur thoughts, and also where i might find the cheapest versions of either, jessops have the Nikon @ £289 and the Sigma @ 199 ,

the net does the Nikon @ £200 while the sigma is dearer in a way at £150

MyPix

ps, anyone wana buy a mint SB25 ? lol

Well I have used and owned a Sigma 500 Super DG and when used with a Canon (my weapon of choice) the results were excellent. That’s as much personal experience as I can offer you but reading many articles and forum posts with regards to flash on Canon and Nikon, the general opinion once you cut through all the one-upmanship rubbish, is that recent Nikon cameras seem to have a better and more consistent flash performance when used with Nikon flash guns. Now I don't really know how that would reflect on the Sigma flash, is the camera doing all the work or the Sigma? However looking at the prices you have shown I would cut my loses, go for the middle ground price wise and buy the best possible match of the Nikon flash online at £200. That way you get something that was exclusively designed to match the camera and in theory should give you the best possible results.

Something else you need to consider with the Sigma is, there are a couple of versions knocking about.
Some aren't compatible on Nikon digital cameras, or certain models.

Some retailers are still selling the older models.

Try before you buy.

Thanks for the reply Steve,
i think i'm erring down that route myself, i have found a good comparison page between the SB800 and SB600 , the lesser unit in Nikons range,
and as i mentioned, i think i will stay brand loyal for peace of mind, and resale value to ( when it comes )
i dont doubt there is much that the Sigma wont do for me , but the Nikon is way more dedicated to my particular D70

if anyone else has some thought, they are most welcome, i aint signed the cheque just yet, lol

MyPix

ps , the Nikon SB600 and SB800 comparison http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600vs800.htm

Joe T said:
I'd get the Nikon. Im sure it will communicate better with the camera than the Sigma (just my opinion tho ;)). If you have to get an SB600 due to wallet restraints, so be it. Its what I ended up with. I have barely used mine though.

this is another problem, its catch 22 at the moment,
i have a top marque flash that DOES work perfectly, however i cant use it in TTL mode onthe D70, but as manual its perfect,
another thing is the 'zoom' function of the flash doesnt comunicate with the lens , so i have to push the flash button to zoom it in or out,

as to use, it will deffo be used when taking pics at the RTS Support group meetings i take the pix for ( the charities magazine ) , of which my son suffers the condition, and i think it will be used more if i have it,

i dont think i will get the SB600 as it not as fully specified as the SB800 and i would regret buying the lesser specified flash in the end

again, thanx for all your input

MyPix

I have the SB600 and use it regularly...great bit of kit.

The SB800 offers nothing over the SB600 that I would use, hance my choice.

I thnk whichever way you go (SB600 or SB800) you will be happy. Definitely get a Nikon though ;)

Now..where to get it. I paid £100 for my SB600 in Hong Kong..I would strongly suggest you consider buying from HK via Ebay (UR Galaxy and Digital Rev are two suppliers I would recommend).

Regards
Chez

Chez,
i have bought from HK B4 , and have had no probs either, however i feel that the average PO cost of £40 is a bit steep, and there is also the posability of being stung 6% import tax and 17% VAT on the lot ,

i have found that the US market has a lot of ' underpriced ' SB800's floating around , mostly used but ' perfect condition' ones, and a postal cost of about $25 ( dollars ), and as used items they dont incure the import duty or VAT ,

i have seen them go for around the $180 mark which is around £120 ish

so i might get one from over the pond instead

MyPix

SB600 model for £139 incl P&P from onestop & they guarentee to pay any VAT if caught out.

I use the SB800 and it's very good, especially the 5th battery holder. I hated the cables and tethers for Quantum units that we used to use with the old Metz guns.
I use two and can synch them together for 'proper' off-camera use (you get a little stand and a set of coloured gels, too).

DJW said:
SB600 model for £139 incl P&P from onestop & they guarentee to pay any VAT if caught out.

ive just got one of these, but im not allowed to open it until tomorrow :banghead:

onestop were very fast, it only took 3 days! and they marked it as a gift and a repaired flash with a value of approx 32 euros! the little scamps

Thats great service for you. I would imagine that OneStop has begun to get hit a little buy customs so by stating both gift/repair and a very low value, even if customs caught it, it would not be worth chasing.

It looks like you are going to be having a great Christmas :)

noah said:
ive just got one of these, but im not allowed to open it until tomorrow :banghead:

Surely you have to get used to it tonight, to take those all important indoor shots tomorrow morning when people open pressies ;)

Back