Workshop Nikon School - London

Edit My Images
No
Heading down to the Nikon School in London for a days course tomorrow - looking forward to it :)

Anyone had experience of the courses there? - my partner bought me the "Introduction to the D810" course as a birthday present.... if it's good I've a few more of their day courses I may take a look at in future.

I thought this site is the best course available. Free, anyway. Please let us know how did you got on.

Apologies all - been meaning to post a reply just haven't gotten around to it as yet.

To be honest I really enjoyed the day - you can spend a lot of time reading magazines and books and indeed forums and websites but it's surprising how spending as little as a day being shown "hands-on" can help bring it all together. We covered 'digital imaging basics', camera file formats, auto-focus basics, playback functions, live view etc and there were a good number of "tips and tricks" relating to the camera that I found useful.

I've booked myself on the next course - "Getting creative with your D800/D800e/D810" which all being well is this coming Thursday - looking forward to it.

I've often considered workshops and training etc but other than a local college night-school course back in 2005 never actually done any until now. I'd like to ultimately build up to a "Landscapes with the Pro's" style course but want to re-visit the basics first!

Hopefully be heading back to the Nikon School in London next week for the "Low Light in London" course - hope the weather holds!

you can spend a lot of time reading magazines and books and indeed forums and websites but it's surprising how spending as little as a day being shown "hands-on" can help bring it all together.

That's why I enroled on a 10 week (once a week for 2 hours) evening course at a college. It's a small group making it nice and friendly, picking up tips and idea's off the others.

Last edited:
That's why I enroled on a 10 week (once a week for 2 hours) evening course at a college. It's a small group making it nice and friendly, picking up tips and idea's off the others.

I did the same in 2005 when I was getting started - I found it enjoyable I must admit... was a nice mix of skills and characters.

Low Light in London was thoroughly enjoyable last night, we were lucky with the weather until the very end of the course when the rain started to come down. Got just short of 100 shots that I'll select the best ones from and upload to my Flickr.

Amusing when you have a row of photographers and tripods outside the BBC - the number of people asking us who we were waiting for - thought we'd start to draw a crowd at one point....!

Thanks for the feedback on the Nikon courses David, I had been considering a couple of their London based courses with a voucher that I can apply for through work - unfortunately they were unwilling to partner with Nikon for this, so I have signed up to a couple of the Calumet courses. If I enjoy some more hands on tutoring over internet/videos/reading then I will certainly be signing up to some of these.

Thanks for the feedback on the Nikon courses David, I had been considering a couple of their London based courses with a voucher that I can apply for through work - unfortunately they were unwilling to partner with Nikon for this, so I have signed up to a couple of the Calumet courses. If I enjoy some more hands on tutoring over internet/videos/reading then I will certainly be signing up to some of these.

Not a problem Andy - I thought if I shared my experiences others could benefit. They might not be for everyone but I certainly enjoyed them - the level of experience across the participants was well matched and I don't think anyone struggled on any of the courses I've done. I've done three this year - the first was a gift from my wife... "Introduction to the D810" - I enjoyed it so much I booked the next one several weeks later which was "Getting creative with the D810". I had a few months break until the dark nights came in then signed up for the "Low Light in London" course. I must admit - those doing this later in the year will get the Christmas lights which will make for some good shots.

I'll take a look around for some other courses next year I think - I prefer the hands on and practical courses more than watching videos. Some of the "Image Seen" workshops that you can get via Wex look like fun - never done one where you have to stay away a few days but perhaps next year II'll take the plunge.

Back