Nikon Z* mirrorless

Which is why I originally discounted getting one after holding it, then I realised that Nikon were giving the excellent smallrig grip free, transforms it and regardless of whether or not people like the styling it massively outperforms the Z6II & Z7II when it comes to AF performance, it even has subject detect in manual focus, not even the Z8 has that. Compared to the Sony A7IV I had it's different class, Sony should be ashamed to sell that with the crappy EVF, screen and slow burst rate.
Don't misunderstand, the design just isn't really for me. I agree, with a grip it will be excellent. Great image quality and focus, then there's the rear screen, much preferred over the z8's abortion.

Don't misunderstand, the design just isn't really for me. I agree, with a grip it will be excellent. Great image quality and focus, then there's the rear screen, much preferred over the z8's abortion.
Interesting how views can differ, you see I would love the Z8 screen on the ZF rather than a flip out accident waiting to happen screen :ROFLMAO:

Interesting how views can differ, you see I would love the Z8 screen on the ZF rather than a flip out accident waiting to happen screen :ROFLMAO:
True. I don't think it's one thing or the other. It grated when you move it, the angles seem inconsistent and I much prefer my D500 screen build any day.

In the olden days all cameras were like that ;) ;)

Last edited:
here's one from the same sequence so seconds apart.
I inadvertently had the exposure set to plus 1.0 stop on this sequence.

Attachments

• Unprocessed image.jpg
    Unprocessed image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
Just for interest, these two were shot using the B&W switch on the Zf, jpegs straight out of camera, no post-processing. At first I thought this feature was a gimmick, now I think it's a really useful tool.

Moored up by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Under the bridge by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I think the ability to quickly visualise a shot in B&W without endless tinkering around in menus is potentially very useful and is one of the main attractions of the Zf. I'd still almost certainly shoot RAW, though, to ensure maximum dynamic range etc.

I think the ability to quickly visualise a shot in B&W without endless tinkering around in menus is potentially very useful and is one of the main attractions of the Zf. I'd still almost certainly shoot RAW, though, to ensure maximum dynamic range etc.
I shoot RAW to the SD card and Jpeg to the Micro SD. But even applying the Camera Monochrome (as set for the Jpeg) profile in LR gives a slightly “poorer” result than the dedicated Jpeg. No doubt it could subsequently be tweaked, but …And of course the RAW file retains all colours.

Does anybody use Sigma glass on Nikon mirrorless? Did anybody find they had to update firmware via the sigma dock in order for them to work?

Does anybody use Sigma glass on Nikon mirrorless? Did anybody find they had to update firmware via the sigma dock in order for them to work?
I use the sigma 35 1:4 art and 135 1:8 art with no problems i have the 150-to 600 can’t remember if i have tried it out on my z6 / z9 but i have the dock anyway

Hi, anyone recommend an LCD replacement cover/hood for the Z8?
Having a small problem with the sun shining in from the side, have to keep glasses on all the time.
Thank you,
Russ.

My Zf just had its first family trip.
I was really surprised how good the battery was, compared to what I was expecting.
I took almost 700 photos in 4 days and battery went down to 14%. I was expecting maybe 400 photos on one charge, but came back home after 4 days in Rome and didn't have to charge it at all. Nice :)

My Zf just had its first family trip.
I was really surprised how good the battery was, compared to what I was expecting.
I took almost 700 photos in 4 days and battery went down to 14%. I was expecting maybe 400 photos on one charge, but came back home after 4 days in Rome and didn't have to charge it at all. Nice :)
Yes the Zf battery is really good. If there was a Zfs (45MP) then I would get rid of my Z9 and Z7. I would then start to consider if I needed to keep my Fujifilm X cameras but the GFX cameras are keepers.

Yeah. But it’s beautiful innit….

I love the specs on the ZF. Am currently still enjoying my ZFC. How is the feel of the ZF compared to the ZFC? Is it heavier and more solid feeling, like the old FM2Ns? Much as I love the ZFC, I wish it was built slightly more robustly.

Last edited:
If the Zf had more modern controls, a touch smaller, with a nice deep hand grip an AF joystick, Twin card slots with CF Express and SD etc, then I'd be all over it............wait a minute, isn't that the fabled Z6 III ?? :ROFLMAO:

I love the specs on the ZF. Am currently still enjoying my ZFC. How is the feel of the ZF compared to the ZFC? Is it heavier and more solid feeling, like the old FM2Ns? Much as I love the ZFC, I wish it was built slightly more robustly.
I’ve never seen or held the ZFC. The Zf is surprisingly hefty. Reassuringly so. Super build quality. You’ll love the Zf.

If the Zf had more modern controls, a touch smaller, with a nice deep hand grip an AF joystick, Twin card slots with CF Express and SD etc, then I'd be all over it............wait a minute, isn't that the fabled Z6 III ?? :ROFLMAO:
Yeah. Fabled is the word…

Yep, Zf feels heavy and VERY sturdy, built like a tank. That comes from Sony a7c user, who always had small and light cameras. SOny a7c felt like a toy compared to this one. Zf is like a camera/self-defence tool :)

I just came back from a trip where I used it heavily for a first time and it was pretty heavy for me - I used 24-70/4 zoom with it - this combo is too heavy for me, I wish there was smaller and lighter version. First time using zoom too. I hope Nikon will com eup with more compact SE primes, like their 40/2 for example.

Yep, Zf feels heavy and VERY sturdy, built like a tank. That comes from Sony a7c user, who always had small and light cameras. SOny a7c felt like a toy compared to this one. Zf is like a camera/self-defence tool :)

I just came back from a trip where I used it heavily for a first time and it was pretty heavy for me - I used 24-70/4 zoom with it - this combo is too heavy for me, I wish there was smaller and lighter version. First time using zoom too. I hope Nikon will com eup with more compact SE primes, like their 40/2 for example.
Unless you need split-second focus, and haven't cut your teeth on rally photography in the 70s, manual primes are your friend. Especially below around 105mm.

Unless you need split-second focus, and haven't cut your teeth on rally photography in the 70s, manual primes are your friend. Especially below around 105mm.

Agreed. And some of the now “vintage” MF primes are superb. With the ZFC I primarily use a Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f2.8, a Jupiter 12 50mm f1.5 and Pentax Asahi Takumar SMC 85mm f1.8. I can fit those plus the ZFC in a very small Domke bag and carry them all day.

Last edited:
OK, you've convinced me. Just ordered one. :)
I am well known for my dislike of heavy camera systems. However, having lived with the Zf for a while, I find it reassuringly sturdy rather than weighty. In fact, apart from the Fuji X-Pro2, it’s the first digital camera I’ve felt at-one with.

Back