Nikon Z5? Any users here?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone!

Im a keen but amateur photographer, I like to shoot landscapes, portraits, and pretty much anything.

Ive shot DSLRs in the past but most recently used a Fujifilm X-T2.

I had to sell up some months ago but I’m happily now in a position to re-invest in a camera again.

I’ve been looking at the X-T3 ( or 4) but I also notice that the Nikon Z5 is around the same price and certainly is appealing especially with its FF sensor. I don’t want to spend a fortune but I’d like to get a good camera.

Does anyone here use the Z5?

Two questions I have are... how’s the AF? And how does it perform with adapted lenses?

Id really appreciate any thoughts or input :)

Welcome. There is some discussion about the Z5 on the Z6 and Z7 thread here:-

Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless | Talk Photography

It's a big thread, but start with the last 5-6 pages or so. I've bought a Z5, as a retirement present for myself. I've come from an entry level DSLR and it is a steep learning curve. The problem is it is sharper than anything I've had before, which means the out-of-focus areas are more obvious. I don't do action shots very much, mostly landscape and night stuff - floodlit buildings and things. It is pretty good for that. I need to up my game quite a bit to justify it. I think I also need to try focus stacking. AF is better than anything I've used before, by some margin, but that may not be saying very much.

I didn't buy an adapter, all my lenses were apsc ones, so I decided to start again. I bought the kit with the 24-50 lens, tried it for a few shots until my 24-70 f4 lens arrived. I intend selling it 'as new' but haven't had any interest on Gumtree. The 24-50 is surprisingly small, a good walkabout lens I'd say, with the 24-70 being bigger, longer and heavier.

I used an XT3 for a while, basically trying to get weight of gear down, (I previously used a full frame Nikon DSLR which was giving me back trouble.) I moved back to Nikon when the Z5 was released. Lens-wise I use the Z24-70f4 - great lens, sharp, light and inexpensive and a Nikon 70-300 via the adaptor. The adapted lens works well, focuses quickly. I’d say the AF of the Z5 is pretty much the same as the XT3. Truth be told, I kind of miss the Fuji as it was fun to use but I much, much prefer the output from the Nikon and I find the files a lot easier to process. This is obviously just my personal preference though.

Back