Nikon Z* mirrorless

on iPhone 10, I can change aperture. It's quick, it's convenient to use phones and for most of the general public that will do. for anyone else who appreciates quality a proper camera is needed.
I know you can change aperture but it doesn'tmake any difference to the depth of field. It’s either maximum dof or maximum dof.

I know you can change aperture but it doesn'tmake any difference to the depth of field. It’s either maximum dof or maximum dof.
You can get shallow (ish) DOF if you try ;)

Has anyone heard of any new Z lenses coming out any time soon? I fancy a cheapish UWA, preferably f/2.8 (to dabble in Astro). Samyang made the AF version of the 14mm for the RF mount, but no word of the Z yet?

The 14-30 is tempting, but realistically will always be at 14, so might as well look for a prime and take the extra stop!

Has anyone heard of any new Z lenses coming out any time soon? I fancy a cheapish UWA, preferably f/2.8 (to dabble in Astro). Samyang made the AF version of the 14mm for the RF mount, but no word of the Z yet?

The 14-30 is tempting, but realistically will always be at 14, so might as well look for a prime and take the extra stop!
Not that I'm aware of, but there's a few f-mount lenses out there that you can adapt (y)

just got the 14-30 delivered on Wednesday looking forward to getting out and about with it but weather rubbish

how do you guys find the low light auto focus with the z7 is it as bad as im reading about ?
how do you find the face recognition any good or does it focus on someone in the background ?

how do you guys find the low light auto focus with the z7 is it as bad as im reading about ?
how do you find the face recognition any good or does it focus on someone in the background ?

It wasn’t that good with the z6 I had it hunt a few times.

Not used face recognition but eye af works well. It's not great in low light using the small focus area, but using the wider one is OK.

the Z version of the Samyang 14mm is out but it weighs an extraordinary 810g which is far more than the FTZ and F mount lens together. It also seems to have the disadvantage of not being chipped so you get no exif info. If this info is correct then it's a complete waste of time as the optical formula appears to be unchanged and the price is higher than the original. Samyang do have a more Pro f2.4 version at a much higher price. Another solution --the one I went for -- is the Irix 15mm f2.4 which is a little unwieldy due to its girth but a decent performer (unless you get a bad copy which is always possible although Samyang is reputedly and from my experience worse in the QC department) and fairly inexpensive.

Another possibility is the really fast Venus Laowa 15mm f2.0 which has recently come out in Z mount. This lens is known for low distortion and is relatively light and compact. It's on the pricey side but still less than the 14-30. Of course the Nikon zoom is the only AF lens among them.

David

Last edited:
the Z version of the Samyang 14mm is out but it weighs an extraordinary 810g which is far more than the FTZ and F mount lens together. It also seems to have the disadvantage of not being chipped so you get no exif info. If this info is correct then it's a complete waste of time as the optical formula appears to be unchanged and the price is higher than the original. Samyang do have a more Pro f2.4 version at a much higher price. Another solution --the one I went for -- is the Irix 15mm f2.4 which is a little unwieldy due to its girth but a decent performer (unless you get a bad copy which is always possible although Samyang is reputedly and from my experience worse in the QC department) and fairly inexpensive.

Another possibility is the really fast Venus Laowa 15mm f2.0 which has recently come out in Z mount. This lens is known for low distortion and is relatively light and compact. It's on the pricey side but still less than the 14-30. Of course the Nikon zoom is the only AF lens among them.

David

Is that not the MF version you’re talking about? The AF version for F/RF/FE is a different design?

Will look into the other lenses you mentioned, but I think I’m after something with AF for the convenience!

Is that not the MF version you’re talking about? The AF version for F/RF/FE is a different design?

Will look into the other lenses you mentioned, but I think I’m after something with AF for the convenience!
I’m not convinced that AF on ultra-wides is value for money. MF is so easy on the Z and I for one don’t need split-second focus speed for subjects which warrant such a wide field of view.

I’m not convinced that AF on ultra-wides is value for money. MF is so easy on the Z and I for one don’t need split-second focus speed for subjects which warrant such a wide field of view.
The thing I struggle with using focus aids such as peaking is that pretty much everything is in focus using wide angles so it’s hard (imo) to see where the critical focus point/hyper focal distance is, although I guess if peaking is showing up on the entire image it means everything’s in focus so it doesn’t really matter.
I still wish they’d put distance scales back on lenses though.

The thing I struggle with using focus aids such as peaking is that pretty much everything is in focus using wide angles so it’s hard (imo) to see where the critical focus point/hyper focal distance is, although I guess if peaking is showing up on the entire image it means everything’s in focus so it doesn’t really matter.
The old ways are often the best.

Let hope it a nice AF update for you all

David

The Z version is MF. The AF version is F mount. Samyang have made so many variants it makes my head spin and I may not be completely up to date.

The trouble with many Samyang lenses in my experience is that infinity often isn’t at the infinity mark.
the calibration of Samyang lenses is a joke. You can only really start to test them once you've worked out where to set infinity in the first place. If, after this you manage to get one where it's possible to get something resembling equal sharpness on both sides, you may well have landed yourself a bargain.

Shot of a friends spaniel. It's a shame he had a funky hairstyle at this point!

DSC_0272-L.jpg

Taken with Tamron G2 70-200

I think we need to remember that DoF works at image sizes + viewing distances and a picture which may look ok as a full image viewed normally may not look so good once you look closely as you'll see where the point of focus is and it may not be where you wanted it.

I think MF is great if I have time to MF accurately enough but even with wide angle lenses AF is very handy unless you're only shooting static scenes and have the best part of a minute to take the picture.

im seriously considering giving the z6 a go and nearly ordered this morning but unfortunately the price on amazon has just crept up since the weekend.

does anyone have much experience with adapting glass - specifically some of the older 3rd party lenses like sigma/tamron 70-200 and sigma ex 85mm f1.4? lots of contrasting view on youtube.

TIA

im seriously considering giving the z6 a go and nearly ordered this morning but unfortunately the price on amazon has just crept up since the weekend.

does anyone have much experience with adapting glass - specifically some of the older 3rd party lenses like sigma/tamron 70-200 and sigma ex 85mm f1.4? lots of contrasting view on youtube.

TIA

I've been using the 50 1.4 and the Tamron G2 70-200 adapted on my Z6 and very pleased with the results. No need for any AF fine tuning so far that I've seen! Shot at CrossFit competition yesterday and did 200 shots across different lenses. Didn't see any warnings or issues. Both the body and lenses (where applicable) are running the latest firmware.

TIA
Some of the Tamrons need their firmware updated. Not sure about Sigma.

Back