Nikon Z* mirrorless

My replacement Z6 for the one that arrived faulty is sitting in a TNT depot 20 miles from me having arrived there at 7am this morning. And Monday is a bank holiday here in Northern Ireland so I don't get it until Tuesday :(. I'm very impatient!

Do liked "Beached" - a nice moody shot. Any general observations on the IQ yet?
I’ve not yet used it often enough to make a firm opinion, but first results are very promising. I’ve seen a bit of purple fringing at the very corners in strong light, but I really had to pixel-peep at 200% to find it. I’m very pleased with the “bokeh” and lack of hunting.

@AZ6 & @lunar22 - think I'm going to go for the Nikon 20mm f/1.8g. Hopefully AF will work well on the Z6 with FTZ, failing that I can always use it on my D750 . Now just to find one at a bargain price!! They seem to be going for high 4 hundred to low 5 hundreds. Then I want the 85mm z which will be my only z lens until I can afford some more!!

Last edited:
My replacement Z6 for the one that arrived faulty is sitting in a TNT depot 20 miles from me having arrived there at 7am this morning. And Monday is a bank holiday here in Northern Ireland so I don't get it until Tuesday :(. I'm very impatient!
I understand where you're coming from Phil. I ordered mine online on a Friday evening and had to wait until the Monday for delivery. So over the weekend me and a mate went to various camera outlets just to get our hands on one and that was where I was told by the salesman that the 'Z6 had IBS' LOL and I replied with 'My mum had that' which brought a quizzical look from the salesman, until he realised what he said LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
@AZ6 & @lunar22 - think I'm going to go for the Nikon 20mm f/1.8g. Hopefully AF will work well on the Z6 with FTZ, failing that I can always use it on my D750 . Now just to find one at a bargain price!! They seem to be going for high 4 hundred to low 5 hundreds. Then I want the 85mm z which will be my only z lens until I can afford some more!!
No fair enough. The new Z 20mm is near enough double that, isn't it? I have enough kit atm tbh, but I think were I to be buying any new stuffs, then I'd be struggling to look past the Z lenses, because right now, I think it's more prudent of me to add to the newer system. My next cam will most likely be a Z cam rather than a F mount DSLR. If the Z lenses are going to be consistently better than their F mont counterparts, as we've already seen with just a few offerings so far, then that's the direction I'll be going in.

No fair enough. The new Z 20mm is near enough double that, isn't it? I have enough kit atm tbh, but I think were I to be buying any new stuffs, then I'd be struggling to look past the Z lenses, because right now, I think it's more prudent of me to add to the newer system. My next cam will most likely be a Z cam rather than a F mount DSLR. If the Z lenses are going to be consistently better than their F mont counterparts, as we've already seen with just a few offerings so far, then that's the direction I'll be going in.

Just looking to cover my bases for upcoming Weddings which I'll be predominantly using my D750 until I'm used to the button layout on the z6. Still got muscle memory and some of the buttons are in different places etc. As you say, as time passes I'm sure I'll buy more of the z lenses and buy more into the new system. My next purchase, probably next month will be the 85mm s

One thing I'm missing is the metering mode on the control display at the top of the camera. I find this information more valuable than the fps mode. Is there a way to change what's displayed on the screen? Otherwise I'll have to get used to changing on the main display or with the camera up at my eye

One thing I'm missing is the metering mode on the control display at the top of the camera. I find this information more valuable than the fps mode. Is there a way to change what's displayed on the screen? Otherwise I'll have to get used to changing on the main display or with the camera up at my eye
The top display is very limited in what it shows. As far as I know, and I am open to correction, there is little if anything you can customise. Unfortunately.

The top display is very limited in what it shows. As far as I know, and I am open to correction, there is little if anything you can customise. Unfortunately.
Thanks Stephen, I think I was spoilt for choice when I had the X-H1

I too came from an X-H1. A good move, I think. Though had the X-T4 been available at the time, it might have been a different story ...
Loved the X-H1, but I just found it impossible to get reliable results filling the frame in portrait mode with the restrictions of the AF area. I'd be interested to try the X-T4 but that being said, it's probably a camera for good light. I found my D750 beat my X-H1 hands down when it came to low light performance, albeit the capability to shoot extremely low shutter speeds did help but not for moving subjects.

But there's an indicator in the rear screen, and in the viewfinder? I don't really understand the issue here?

But there's an indicator in the rear screen, and in the viewfinder? I don't really understand the issue here?
It's just muscle memory, I just need to spend some time and get used to where things are on the Z6 :)
Normally I would adjust settings while viewing the top screen you see - I need to be looking at the rear screen / through the viewfinder while changing the settings which will take a little getting used to

It's just muscle memory, I just need to spend some time and get used to where things are on the Z6 :)
Normally I would adjust settings while viewing the top screen you see - I need to be looking at the rear screen / through the viewfinder while changing the settings which will take a little getting used to
I have that with the ISO button, when going back to my D600. It's in a much better place, imo, on the Z6. As for changing fups; I couldn't even work out how to do it, when I peeked at the Z6 just now. :LOL: I don't use continuous modes very often...

I have that with the ISO button, when going back to my D600. It's in a much better place, imo, on the Z6. As for changing fups; I couldn't even work out how to do it, when I peeked at the Z6 just now. :LOL: I don't use continuous modes very often...
I've mapped metering to the exact same button!! I have to get used to the metering too as I'm finding things like highlight protection / weighted metering is bringing the output a lot closer to the right than on the D750. Perhaps they have tweaked how it's calculated. I too very rarely change my fps, although I do have it in Continous permanently, just on the off chance. I seem to be able to get just one exposure ok even in continuous

I've mapped metering to the exact same button!! I have to get used to the metering too as I'm finding things like highlight protection / weighted metering is bringing the output a lot closer to the right than on the D750. Perhaps they have tweaked how it's calculated. I too very rarely change my fps, although I do have it in Continous permanently, just on the off chance. I seem to be able to get just one exposure ok even in continuous
Huh! I often find it difficult getting just a single exposure on S! It seems to be a very delicate button - unless I twitch even more than I thought!

No actually I'm with you now. You have to press the i button to bring up the menu to change metering mode. That is a bit faffy. I'd much prefer to use the exposure compensation button to change metering modes, as I never use EC anyway.

No actually I'm with you now. You have to press the i button to bring up the menu to change metering mode. That is a bit faffy. I'd much prefer to use the exposure compensation button to change metering modes, as I never use EC anyway.
I actually got confused too, I've mapped my metering to the video record button which I never use as I shoot stills. Yeah, trying to change the metering via the back screen needs too much concentration!!

Huh! I often find it difficult getting just a single exposure on S! It seems to be a very delicate button - unless I twitch even more than I thought!
I just press it down and release quickly and it take just one photo :). I used to be a piano player so that might be why I don't find it difficult. I have it set to H, and not H+

Do you guys remove the XQD card every time you want to import photos? I'm not sure if removing the XQD will result in more wear and tear compared to connecting it directly using a USB-C. That little rubber door might not close and stay closed over time?

Do you guys remove the XQD card every time you want to import photos? I'm not sure if removing the XQD will result in more wear and tear compared to connecting it directly using a USB-C. That little rubber door might not close and stay closed over time?
I do cos currently, I can't import other than using the little USB card reader thingy. None of my computers work with the USB 3 cable. But tbh; I've always removed the SD cards from my D600 every time I want to import and that's suffered no ill effects. Given that the XQD system is a lot tougher, I wouldn't imagine there would be any major issues; it's designed to be swapped in and out, in demanding conditions. That's why it's on the D5/D6, pro level cams etc.

I’ve always removed the memory card in every digital camera I’ve owned, with no ill effects.

I always remove the card and connect the card to the computer. I'd have thought the rubber flap for the USB port on the camera is much more likely to wear/fail than the card slot 'door'.

My Nikon 20mm f/1.8g arrived from LCE Newcastle today. Best used price I could find, and in fantastic condition. Just loving how eye AF is helping with getting these shots

ZSC_0380 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
My Nikon 20mm f/1.8g arrived from LCE Newcastle today. Best used price I could find, and in fantastic condition. Just loving how eye AF is helping with getting these shots

by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Our new neighbours have the maddest looking cat; like a real-life, but much scarier, Garfield. It has the most incredible orange eyes. I've been given the green light to take some pics, so will be interested to see how the Animal AF function works.

Our new neighbours have the maddest looking cat; like a real-life, but much scarier, Garfield. It has the most incredible orange eyes. I've been given the green light to take some pics, so will be interested to see how the Animal AF function works.

It does help a lot!! It's not infalable though but it's far better than trying to get the focus spot on the cats eye. For moving subjects its a god send

What have you moved to? Why do you miss it? :)

Riz, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm a Full Frame snob. (maybe)
I've been through 2xA7iii, X-Pro3 and Currently X-T4 since start of the year,
gotta get myself under control..

Darn, that's some GAS right there..... I have my little X100V to keep me going for now.... I made the wise move of selling all my Sony gear and sticking it all into Tesla stocks! So I am skint now.... no more money for camera gear which I don't really need.

Time to own up

I'm missing my Z6

Maybe it's just a lack of love for Fuji rather than it being a full frame thing?

How about the new Canon R5? :naughty:

I’ve always removed the memory card in every digital camera I’ve owned, with no ill effects.

Still using SD cards here as I haven't yet joined the mirrorless revolution!

I've always taken mine out too, but in the last few months I've had the plastic break between the contacts on the front edge of two cards. I don't know whether it's because of repeated removal and reinsertion or because of faulty cards or ham-fistedness.
In both cases the camera has refused to recognise the card - in fact it won't seat in the slot, it bounces back when I push it in rather than stay fully in. I still haven't retrieved a small piece that must still be in the card slot, and as a result, the camera isn't accepting a card in slot 1 either. Good job the D7200 has got an extra slot.

Not trying to start that debate up again! I must stress I haven't lost any shots because of the issue.

Are XQD cards more robust, physically, than SDs?

Still using SD cards here as I haven't yet joined the mirrorless revolution!

Not that it really matters but Nikon DSLRs have come with XQD cards since 2012: D4, D4s, D5, D6, D500, D850. I can't give any definitive reference, but XQD and now CFexpress are meant to be considerably more robust and reliable than SD cards. I just like the fact they are bigger and easier to handle :)

Sorry to hear about your disintegrating card.

Back