Nikon Z* mirrorless

I've found all mine to be a bit of pain to put on and remove. Especially when reversing them on the lens.

I may complain and send it back. Just tried there, and I can barely get it on and I'm not sure if a new hood will solve it. Seems like a hassle though!! What would you do?

I've just faffed about with them and took it as "that's the way they are". Certainly not as smooth as the F-mount.
I've experienced it before with lenses where I think due to manufacturing +/- you can get a lens and a hood which just don't fit nicely. The hood seems to fit more smoothly reversed - and actually squeaks with friction when you try putting it on. It can get so tight when on, that the hood can actually flex as you try to get it off again!! Initially thought it was just because it was new, but it hasn't gotten any better, if anything worse. Actually got it from John Lewis in September, wonder what their returns policy is like on Camera equipment.

Last edited:
Has anybody noticed issues with the hoods on any of their z lenses? My 85mm z bought new has a very 'dry' hood which doesn't lock and unlock nicely. I have to hold the edge of the hood in-between my palm and fingers to get it to 'unlock and lock' it - unlike my 50mm which is super nice and easy. Is it defective?
checked all my z lenses no problems

I've experienced it before with lenses where I think due to manufacturing +/- you can get a lens and a hood which just don't fit nicely. The hood seems to fit more smoothly reversed - and actually squeaks with friction when you try putting it on. It can get so tight when on, that the hood can actually flex as you try to get it off again!! Initially thought it was just because it was new, but it hasn't gotten any better, if anything worse. Actually got it from John Lewis in September, wonder what their returns policy is like on Camera equipment.
If the lens is ok (sharp) on your Z, go back to JL and ask to try another hood instead of replacing the lens or ask at a camera shop if they have this same problem with the Z lens or ask if they have any non Nikon hoods to try out.

Sorry to take over the thread over hoods!! Here's a demonstration of me in my house coat with my 85mm and it's extremely stiff hood. Don't forget to put your sound on so you can hear how dry it is

My 24-70f4 cant be a pain some days, but the 35 is perfect.

I’m tempted to get the 14-30. :) Anyone here have one? 14mm sounds fun, especially as it takes ‘ordinary’ filters so I can play around with the 10 stopper.
yes got one with recommendations from this forum I normally take it out with the z6 and 850 with a sigma 150-600 i have lots of fun with the 14-30

looking for advice for settings on my z6 for video going to see my granddaughter at xmass all video indoors don't know anything about video

looking for advice for settings on my z6 for video going to see my granddaughter at xmass all video indoors don't know anything about video
Have you tested it in your house/place indoors, always worth a try.

I had one when with Nikon
14mm is really fun.

DSC_1864-Edit.jpg by -justTrev-
yes got one with recommendations from this forum I normally take it out with the z6 and 850 with a sigma 150-600 i have lots of fun with the 14-30
I haven't been able to get out enough with it, but it's small, light and sharp enough for me.
View attachment 300384View attachment 300394

Nice pics. :)

Thanks for feedback. I’ll think it over for a few more days but I doubt it’ll be too long before I crack and pull the trigger.

Sorry to take over the thread over hoods!! Here's a demonstration of me in my house coat with my 85mm and it's extremely stiff hood. Don't forget to put your sound on so you can hear how dry it is

Try rubbing a pencil lead around the contact point of the lend hood, I did this with my 500PF as it was stiff to fit and remove, it goes on lovely now !

Try rubbing a pencil lead around the contact point of the lend hood, I did this with my 500PF as it was stiff to fit and remove, it goes on lovely now !
Will give that a go and report back!! Thanks

Did you try it Gil ?
There's a pencil that lives at work, and I'm not back until tomorrow but will let you know how it goes :).

Haha not so easy to come by now
I can't believe it @AdamSi, it's stopped my hood from jamming on!! Just a bit of pencil on the little nib of plastic is all it took. I may put a bit of pencil along the 'railings' to see if it smooths the action a little so that it's easier to go on and off and eradicate that horrible squeaking grinding. Many thanks for the amazing tip!!

I can't believe it @AdamSi, it's stopped my hood from jamming on!! Just a bit of pencil on the little nib of plastic is all it took. I may put a bit of pencil along the 'railings' to see if it smooths the action a little so that it's easier to go on and off and eradicate that horrible squeaking grinding. Many thanks for the amazing tip!!
I'm gonna have to raid the little fellas pencil case to try that out now.

So pleased it worked and to be fair I had same issue for months with my 500PF it was driving me insane, suddenly remembered doing it on zips years ago and had a go and it worked a treat :)

I'm going to have to try this!

Interesting - first 3rd party AF lens for the Z system is out soon, courtesy of Viltrox:

I'm not particularly excited about the lens itself (currently more than happy with my adapted 85mm f/1.8 G) but if one manufacturer has cracked it, it can't be too long before the other follow. Apparently the one above is based on their Sony version, so if there's a relatively small tweak and all third parties could make their Sony fit-lenses compatible, we'd see a flood of Z-fit stuff suddenly coming out! Might just be wishful thinking, but you never know :)

Good news on the Viltrox lens(es). Seems they’ve reviewed pretty well for other systems. I nearly got one for my Fuji. Will be great if Sigma and Tamron come onboard. Surely only a matter of time.

Seems the Z system has an irritating ‘feature’ that my Fuji stuff also had in that the self timer resets when the camera goes to sleep. Bleeding annoying and no way around it it seems.

Good news on the Viltrox lens(es). Seems they’ve reviewed pretty well for other systems. I nearly got one for my Fuji. Will be great if Sigma and Tamron come onboard. Surely only a matter of time.

Seems the Z system has an irritating ‘feature’ that my Fuji stuff also had in that the self timer resets when the camera goes to sleep. Bleeding annoying and no way around it it seems.

Similarly when using U1 & U2, if your camera goes to sleep it won’t remember the previous adjustments but will reload the original saved settings which is a PITA

Quick question about XQD and CFExpress - with my Z6 having the latest firmware, will I ever need a XQD card again if I switch to CFExpress? Do the new Z6II work with them straight out of the box? Also anything to watch out about buying CFExpress - ie different types to avoid / won't work?

Similarly when using U1 & U2, if your camera goes to sleep it won’t remember the previous adjustments but will reload the original saved settings which is a PITA

I think I’ll just have to turn off the sleep mode. I don’t often go out shooting all day, just an hour or two in the morning usually, so as long as the battery is charged fully at the start of the shoot then I guess it won’t matter too much. I’ve other things need buying before I think about a spare battery. I guess it won’t damage the screen leaving it on all the time? The sleep mode is simply for battery saving?

I think I’ll just have to turn off the sleep mode. I don’t often go out shooting all day, just an hour or two in the morning usually, so as long as the battery is charged fully at the start of the shoot then I guess it won’t matter too much. I’ve other things need buying before I think about a spare battery. I guess it won’t damage the screen leaving it on all the time? The sleep mode is simply for battery saving?

I have 3 spare batteries so will probably do the same - it takes too long to warm up too for when you just need to take that spontaneous shot, so sleep mode will probably be turned off for me too.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but my Adobe creative cloud told me there was an update available today - Camera Raw 13.1 - looks from the Adobe website it supports raw files from the Z6 II (although at present doesn't support camera colour profiles)

So the Viltrox 85mm z is now out, so I’ve been looking through their Sony lenses to see what else could be coming the way of the Z mount...

This month for Sony full-frame they’re launching:

24mm f/1.8 FE
35mm f/1.8 FE
50mm f/1.8 FE

Which could give some nice alternatives to the Z mounts from Nikon at around half the price! And in 2021 they’re launching:

13mm f/1.4 APS-C
28mm f/1.8 FE
16mm f/1.8 FE

Again, it’s total speculation if they have any plans to move the Sony versions over to Nikon like the recent 85mm, but a native z mount 16mm f/1.8 at Viltrox prices would be right up my street!

Again, it’s total speculation if they have any plans to move the Sony versions over to Nikon like the recent 85mm, but a native z mount 16mm f/1.8 at Viltrox prices would be right up my street!

+1.

I‘ve been thinking about the 14-30 for a while now but my sensible head (which I don’t usually pay much attention to) is saying that I very rarely shoot wider then 24mm and so it would be a lot of money for little use. A cheapish, wide prime would be a good alternative.

Back