Nikon Z* mirrorless

For those of you that own the Z series 50mm F1.8 and the 35mm F1.8, which one do you prefer ? I have the 50mm F1.8 for my Z6, but have been pondering for some weeks if the 35mm F1.8 would better suit me as a walk about fast lens ? I know this is entirely subjective, and varies from person to person and shot to shot, but just as an open comment, which one do you prefer to use ?

Prices on them seem to have dropped from the rather insane £850 ish some weeks ago, to a more palatable (although still a little expensive) £625 ish.

Just wondering if it's a touch of GAS or a really useful addition to the Z series cameras ?
I just got a 35mm for just over £555 which is a bit more than I wanted to pay but objectively reasonable for the quality. This was from Amazon Warehouse which basically means new (even if it says used) with perhaps a little graze on the box. Their prices seem to change every week on Sunday evening, going up and down alternately. The best was I saw £542 about three weeks ago but I dithered and missed it. Just now it's up to £578. I doubt the grey market sellers will usually do better as they have no access to EU cashbacks and the very few 2nd hand copies I've seen are probably at least as much as Amazon. I'm expecting to use the APS-C crop at times as in indoor events or lowlight street for instance, the reduced res. often won't matter too much - of course those with a Z7 are at an advantage in this area.

I have placed my order via Panamoz... Ordered Camera + 24 - 70 + FTZ and 32GB card. I got a small discount from public price.. Thanks for the tip

If my sigma 70 - 200 does not work ill go for the 70 - 300 as and when they appear .. £350 ish looks the going rate.. Ill get more than that for my sigma... ill also get a prime for gigs

Are these camera standard profile Stephen?
No, I went mad and applied Vivid. I would normally use Standard or Landscape, but I wanted a bit of punch. I lazily left exposure adjustments to Auto in LR. They were taken about 30 minutes ago, so fortunately I didn't have much time to ruin them completely! :)

No, I went mad and applied Vivid. I would normally use Standard or Landscape, but I wanted a bit of punch. I lazily left exposure adjustments to Auto in LR. They were taken about 30 minutes ago, so fortunately I didn't have much time to ruin them completely! :)
Autoexposure in LR does a substantial vibrance punch (plus the effects of more white etc) which can work but if you insist on adding insult to injury....... :mad:
To be fair, it does just about work for the church, though. Glad you're enjoying your latest toy.

Autoexposure in LR does a substantial vibrance punch (plus the effects of more white etc) which can work but if you insist on adding insult to injury....... :mad:
To be fair, it does just about work for the church, though. Glad you're enjoying your latest toy.
Err ... yes.

Well, let's be honest, it was always going to happen. The 35mm F1.8 arrived yesterday.

Looks bigger than I expected. Is it bigger than the 50mm f1.8 or is it just the the angle of the shot?

I was just about to say that it does look bigger than expected - more 1.4 size. Maybe its the angle.

The 50mm is 1mm longer (87mm) and 3mm wider (76mm) according to DP review side by side comparison.

I've had my 35mm a week but haven't taken a lot of shots with it yet. It does seem large somehow, especially with the hood, but is noticeably lighter than the zoom. Doing a wee course on street photography shortly and I'm sure I'll use it then and can compare notes with some of my fellow purchasers!

At the moment, I've been spending more time testing out an unexpected purchase yesterday. The cheapo 100mm E-Series, I bought a couple of months ago for occasional portraits and the like, turned out to have a dead aperture ring. I guess I only actually really tested it wide open but I thought I might try a landscape or two and then it was obvious that I was stuck on f2.8. Back to the shop which just happened to have the 105mm f2.8D micro. Interest in macro is very irregular but I thought it might serve double purpose for when I want something faster than the 70-300. I'm rather liking it so far! Like all D lenses only MF on the Z of course and you need to be pretty precise with the focus ring but it seems a bargain these days.

DSC_1820.jpg

DSC_1847.jpg

Laowa have now released their 15mm f/2 and 10-18mm in native Z mount versions.

The 15mm is blooming expensive (£899 so admittedly not as bad as the 14-30) but I might get one as my UWA as it would do both astro and 100mm filters (72mm filter ring).

Last edited:
Laowa have now released their 15mm f/2 and 10-18mm in native Z mount versions.

The 15mm is blooming expensive (£899 so admittedly not as bad as the 14-30) but I might get one as my UWA as it would do both astro and 100mm filters (72mm filter ring).
very interesting but at that price, it's a disgrace not to include electronic communication with the camera when Irix and Samyang (at least in Nikon mount) can do so at well under half the price. Just wonder whether there might be too much compromise in IQ (judging primarily from Dustin Abbot's review) making something this wide a zoom? I await the Z version reviews with eager anticipation.

very interesting but at that price, it's a disgrace not to include electronic communication with the camera when Irix and Samyang (at least in Nikon mount) can do so at well under half the price. Just wonder whether there might be too much compromise in IQ (judging primarily from Dustin Abbot's review) making something this wide a zoom? I await the Z version reviews with eager anticipation.
I currently have one on Sony is it's awesome. Really worth every penny and only thing missing is the electronic communications like you mentioned.
A review of the lens on Sony - https://phillipreeve.net/blog/rolling-review-laowa-15mm-2-0-zero-d/

I'm not bothered by the lack of contacts, but I am bothered by the price for one prime so it'll take some thinking about!

Almost all reviews of this lens has been pretty positive tho.

I was really talking about the zoom, rather than the 15mm f2 as I seem to have misread your post. Apologies for the confusion! The 15mm has gained plaudits for its exceptional lack of distortion and most also like the IQ though there seem to be some poor copies around. Have you considered the Irix f2.4 as an alternative? Half the battle seems to be getting a reasonable copy with these UWA's. The Laowa of course has somewhat lighter weight/bulk and faster speed though it's not a huge difference in my book.

I'm not bothered by the lack of contacts, but I am bothered by the price for one prime so it'll take some thinking about!

Almost all reviews of this lens has been pretty positive tho.

Last edited:
I was really talking about the zoom, rather than the 15mm f2 as I seem to have misread your post. Apologies for the confusion! The 15mm has gained plaudits for its exceptional lack of distortion and most also like the IQ though there seem to be some poor copies around. Have you considered the Irix f2.4 as an alternative? Half the battle seems to be getting a reasonable copy with these UWA's. The Laowa of course has somewhat lighter weight/bulk and faster speed though it's not a huge difference in my book.

Well the bulk increases especially when you factor in the adapter. Also laowa takes 72mm filter vs. 95mm filter.
Half stop isn't that big a deal in my books but does help a little when shooting in lower light or astrophotography for example
As I always say and said above few times UWA is one area where mirrorless really adds benefits over DSLRs.

Well the bulk increases especially when you factor in the adapter. Also laowa takes 72mm filter vs. 95mm filter.
Half stop isn't that big a deal in my books but does help a little when shooting in lower light or astrophotography for example
As I always say and said above few times UWA is one area where mirrorless really adds benefits over DSLRs.
I look forward to native Z versions of the various UWA alternatives in due course. As you say, at least mirrorless seems to be able to reduce the girth, at any rate.

Gosh. How lazy am I ?

I’ve had the Z since the start of the year, just realised how handy it would be to make use of U1, U2 and U3
Also discovered I can add filter effects to Mono picture styles. (One of the things I loved about Fuji)

And yes, I know it’s probably in the manual....

Gosh. How lazy am I ?

I’ve had the Z since the start of the year, just realised how handy it would be to make use of U1, U2 and U3
Also discovered I can add filter effects to Mono picture styles. (One of the things I loved about Fuji)

I feebly tried a U setting, but I couldn’t get any configuration to stick in it. When I turned back to aperture priority the back to the U, it had kept the aforementioned A P setting. Might be useful occasionally.

I feebly tried a U setting, but I couldn’t get any configuration to stick in it. When I turned back to aperture priority the back to the U, it had kept the aforementioned A P setting. Might be useful occasionally.

I’ve used it to have quick access to a Mono picture style.

“Excellent” set of shots, liking all of these very much.

George.
Cheers George. I didn’t realise you still lurked on the Nikon threads, are you still all out Fuji?

Gosh. How lazy am I ?

I think it would take me longer to remember what settings I had in which mode than to change them manually :confused:. Certainly if I get into the situation where I take a wider range of type of shots in quick succession, then I might have to dig out the old manual

Cheers George. I didn’t realise you still lurked on the Nikon threads, are you still all out Fuji?

I’m still 100% Fuji, though still take more than an interest in what’s going on with Nikon.

But I have bought a Sony RX100M6 & a Sony RX10M4 of which I love both of them. I bought these purely because I’m still out of action with regards to carrying a heavy kit about after quite a bit of surgery back in March this year.

Needless to say I’m taking a year off from F1 work and just letting staff do the work. Still back working on my other business though which you know about and I had my pilots licence fully reinstated a couple of weeks back.

George.

Last edited:
I’m still 100% Fuji, though still take more than an interest in what’s going on with Nikon.

But I have bought a Sony RX100M6 & a Sony RX10M4 of which I love both of them. I bought these purely because I’m still out of action with regards to carrying a heavy kit about after quite a bit of surgery back in March this year.

Needless to say I’m taking a year off from F1 work and just letting staff do the work. Still back working on my other business though which you know about and I had my pilots licence fully reinstated a couple of weeks back.

George.
The Sony's are great cameras. Sorry to hear about the surgeries I was not aware (or have completely forgotten) about them, but sounds like you're making a good recovery which is great to hear (y).

I was lucky enough to get a kind of glimpse into the kind of work you do (albeit at BTCC not F1 so much less grandeur) a few weeks back and I have to say I really enjoyed it and would love to do more, although TBH that's highly unlikely :LOL:

.... and I had my pilots licence fully reinstated a couple of weeks back.

George.

Congratulations on retrieving your pilot's licence. I know how frustrating it is to have a licence revoked for medical reasons, and how much of a relief it is when you beat bureaucracy and get it back, even if mine was only a driving licence.

Congratulations on retrieving your pilot's licence. I know how frustrating it is to have a licence revoked for medical reasons, and how much of a relief it is when you beat bureaucracy and get it back, even if mine was only a driving licence.

Thank you kindly my friend, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

The Sony's are great cameras. Sorry to hear about the surgeries I was not aware (or have completely forgotten) about them, but sounds like you're making a good recovery which is great to hear (y).

I was lucky enough to get a kind of glimpse into the kind of work you do (albeit at BTCC not F1 so much less grandeur) a few weeks back and I have to say I really enjoyed it and would love to do more, although TBH that's highly unlikely :LOL:

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

"You must get to come and see us some time, If I'm around I'd be happy to show you just what we do and take you up for a flight"

George.

Back