Beginner Nikon Z6II or Canon R6II - Video

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm looking for advice please.
I'm all but sold on the Nikon Z6 II over the Canon R6 II mainly because of the cheaper price point, but the only thing I'm worried about is the crop on the video. (It looks like you can shoot video full frame at 30fps but not at 60fps).

I'm planning to mainly shoot people, or people moving within landscapes. Photography is my primary but I'm interested in video too. Thanks

Last edited:
Both are good, however both might be like learning to drive in a sports car.

If you want video and photos then both would be good, I personally would go with the Z6ii but you might want to consider what type of photos and videos you want to take.

One option might be one device for video and another for stils rather than one for both.

If you are learning photography then an older dSLR might be an option and a few great lenses rather than a brand new mirrorless body and a kit lens. Something like a d610 from Nikon or 5Dmk2 from Canon along with a good lens like the 24-120 f4 from Nikon or the 24-105 f4 L from Nikon. Along with a 50mm prime on both.

KEH or MPB are good places for top quality kit that people buy new and lose a big chunk of cash on, don't use and then sell.

Maybe a DJI Osmo pocket 3 for video.

I think this is mostly dependent on your experience and use case.

As someone who primarily shoots photos of people my primary concern would be related to that, and I’d be looking at a total price for camera and lenses. But much more importantly I know the eye focus on the Canon is superior, and that would be critical to me.

As far as ‘crop’ for video is concerned, it’s something to be aware of and plan for rather than to avoid.

Both are good, however both might be like learning to drive in a sports car.

If you want video and photos then both would be good, I personally would go with the Z6ii but you might want to consider what type of photos and videos you want to take.

One option might be one device for video and another for stils rather than one for both.

If you are learning photography then an older dSLR might be an option and a few great lenses rather than a brand new mirrorless body and a kit lens. Something like a d610 from Nikon or 5Dmk2 from Canon along with a good lens like the 24-120 f4 from Nikon or the 24-105 f4 L from Nikon. Along with a 50mm prime on both.

KEH or MPB are good places for top quality kit that people buy new and lose a big chunk of cash on, don't use and then sell.

Maybe a DJI Osmo pocket 3 for video.
My wife has an entry level Fuji X-T100, and it is much, much harder to use than my more advanced X-T4. It has so many missing controls, buttons, dials that I find it incredibly frustarating to use. But, I can stick my X-T4 in full auto mode and turn it into a glorified point and shoot. A common misconception is that a more expensive, enthusiast level camera is harder to use and it's not true at all.

I've never used either Canon or Nikon mirrorless cameras, but one thing that would sway me towards Nikon is their support for third party lenses. Canon have completely closed off the RF mount so your choice of lenses is both more limited and potentially more expensive.

Last edited:
I've never used either Canon or Nikon mirrorless cameras, but one thing that would sway me towards Nikon is their support for third party lenses. Canon have completely closed off the RF mount so your choice of lenses is both more limited and potentially more expensive.
That’s not the real life problem that some suggest.

Firstly there are tons of lenses to use with canon mirrorless via the adaptor. And they work perfectly. It’s perfectly possible to use the entire range of Sigma or Tamron EF mount lenses

There’s also a rumour that Sigma have reached a deal with Canon for the RF mount, but it might not be wholly good news if that rumour is true.

Just thought I'd also suggest looking at some Sony bodies like A7IV or A7riii.
Sony also has more native lens options by far and a healthy used market so you can get things cheaper.

But if I were to choose between the two you mentioned it would be R6ii on the body alone. It's more capable overall.
But Nikon has better lenses options in my opinion but canon may also be just fine for your purposes.

Both are likely to be good, the differences are going to be lenses available and ergonomics. I’m not sure if Nikon do “test drives” but you can borrow and R6 from Canon for a weekend for free.

That’s not the real life problem that some suggest.

Firstly there are tons of lenses to use with canon mirrorless via the adaptor. And they work perfectly. It’s perfectly possible to use the entire range of Sigma or Tamron EF mount lenses

There’s also a rumour that Sigma have reached a deal with Canon for the RF mount, but it might not be wholly good news if that rumour is true.
Very true, I'd forgotten about the EF-RF adapter and how good it is.

Very true, I'd forgotten about the EF-RF adapter and how good it is.
I’d be happier if Canon hadn’t played hardball re the RF mount; but it’s not like there aren’t millions of lenses out there that work perfectly.

I have 2 RF mount lenses, and 5 EF lenses, the only disadvantage of the adaptor is that it adds to the size.

But then all the lenses I ‘like’ are bigger than I’d like them to be anyway.

I’d love a small bodied FF mirrorless with some small fast lenses as a travel kit, but they’re more likely to come from Canon than a 3rd party.

There’s more profit in building cut price 1.4 primes than small f2 ones.

Back