Nikon Zoom lens 0ver 300mm - £500 budget

Just wanted to update this thread and say thanks again for everyone that gave me advice. I came to the conclusion in the end that the best option for upgrading my walkabout zooing lens is the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII with TC and that there is not much point spending money on a compromise. So I'm going to save up for that combo myself and for my birthday gift I picked something a bit left field given everything I have said before: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 contemporary.

I figured it would actually add something a bit different to my collection and I do have a monopod to help with the weight issue. I've just been out on my first little outing with it and I have to say - I am well pleased with it :)

Few of my first efforts below - all handheld. I actually think I will use this lens for zooing at some collections - Yorkshire WLP and Whipsnade spring to mind. It is heavy but I managed ok without using the monopod! Just need a better strap set up - the included shoulder strap is not much cop.
ANYWAY - thanks again, I appreciate the help :ty:

@ 300mm
Macro_20190817_113115 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

@ 370mm
Macro_20190817_113225 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

@ 600mm
Macro_20190817_112949 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those pics or your lens choice . I did buy a used 300mm f4 this week but it was faulty and returned it next day ..
As to straps on my sigma 150-600 c I use a op.tech over the shoulder sling strap ,so the lens is hanging by my left side as I go walkabout , just attach to the tripod foot takes all the weight away .have to be carefull with weight 73 yrs old and now got a dodgy heart to .

Nothing wrong with those pics or your lens choice . I did buy a used 300mm f4 this week but it was faulty and returned it next day ..
As to straps on my sigma 150-600 c I use a op.tech over the shoulder sling strap ,so the lens is hanging by my left side as I go walkabout , just attach to the tripod foot takes all the weight away .have to be carefull with weight 73 yrs old and now got a dodgy heart to .

thanks Jeff - I've picked out the Op Tech Utility Strap - not sure if that is the same one you've got but it looked like a good option. Seems to have two connectors so I planned to attach one to the tripod foot of the Sigma and the other one to my camera body.

Yep that’s the one ,does the job

Back