Nikon z's and SU800

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Does any know or can confirm through use if all Nikon Z's are compatible with the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander? being hotshoe connected I would have though Nikon would have ensured the comms between the mirrorless and it should still be the same as the DSLRs.

I've seen conflicting claims of compatible and non-compatible

Yes, it works with the Nikon Z's.

It does not allow the Z's built in flash controls to function; remote radio control only works with a compatible radio remote installed (WR-R10/R11b). It also does not enable the built in flash control mode menu/settings; that requires an SB300/400/500/5000. The SB5000 settings can be controlled either by the camera or directly, the others are only controlled through the camera.

Yes, it works with the Nikon Z's.

It does not allow the Z's built in flash controls to function; remote radio control only works with a compatible radio remote installed (WR-R10/R11b). It also does not enable the built in flash control mode menu/settings; that requires an SB300/400/500/5000. The SB5000 settings can be controlled either by the camera or directly, the others are only controlled through the camera.
thanks, I knew the SB5000 and WR-A / T / R were compatible but that anything pre SB5000 ie SB910 and earlier needed something like the SU-800 on DSLRs using CLS that needed the flash heads to be in slave, just wasn't sure about the Zs

Thank you for to affirmation.

Last edited:
Back