!! No Models !!

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
not been very good here . non of the kids or wife will sit still for me " dam them "

so i have had to resort to :thumbsdown: self portraiture :puke:

so i know the model wont mind any c+c on this one its his 1 st time but be honest as the chap holding the shutter release cable would really like to learn...
2 lights used 1 soft box eye level ish
1 light 6' high facing onto the background "trying to blow it.

more info

1/250
f22
iso 200
about 38mm i think..

me-me-me-0087-01.jpg

md:coat:

You've overcooked the lights a tad. Its burnt out in places.

Wear a different colour T-Shirt to the background next time

(and dont scuff your shoes, your Mam would tweak your ear if she found out)

nice photo, keep your hands away from your eyes next time as you seem to be pulling them down. As paul said, the lights have blown out the T shirt in places but apart from that, i like it, would like to see more from you.

Doesnt everyone say to use about F8 for the subject? I thought I had it sussed today.. now Im lost again!! :thinking:

It looks like you 6 foot high light is coming down onto you.. as there is quite a harsh shadow directly below your left eye.

It is a very good start though.. I like this look.

You got a cold sore Dave or are you stuffing a pie? :D

Seriously... strange choice of pose, the light spread isn't wide enough to blow out the background on the right, and the skin tones are looking very red for my taste, and there's a reddish cast overall?

The shadow on the right is a 20 second job with the colour replacer, and the colour balance just needs putting right - I set it to 6500K (Daylight) and lowered the saturation a bit to kill the red cast.

The white sleeves on your top are blown and could have been avoided by wearing something else.

Minor problems really mate - I don't think there's a lot wrong at all with your basic set up. :)

me-me-me-0087-01-2.jpg

(y)thanks for that ct
:puke: im not happy with being that side of the camera to be honest which is why i decided to try and cover most my face .
i know i should have had a shave gelled my hair put a nice shirt and trousers on but i was just trying to get used to the lights i had off moomike..
just thought id post it to get a good idea how my lights were...
ive had a drink so ill leave it for now but it might be removed in the morning

thanks for the c+c people really is helpfull

md(y)

Most photographers squirm on that side of the camera mate - I'm the world's worst so mad props for having a go. (y)

All been said already so Ill just add ... gets some lotion rubbed into those elbows ... they look well dry from here!!! :LOL: ;)

Seriously though, very brave of you to post, Im yet to try a self portrait, and not too sure it would find its way here if i did.
Still, a self portrait is probably the only way I'll improve as my family run a mile when ever I mention setting up the lights.:(

(y) cheers glo

the wife is often coming at me with creams and moisturisers being a welder i get burnt alot..
but being a mans man " so to speak" i always run a mile saying the blokes will laugh at me if they find out.....

:shrug: sorry but thats me...

md(y)

The shadows look surprisingly harsh for softboxes, suggesting they are either small or perhaps too far away

Have you got a big box mate?:D

1 soft box dave is about 300mm/ or 400mm not sure.. it the falconeyes home studio kit if this helps ..
i would have loved the kit you sold mm but hey ho ..

im in the learning curve at the mo.. i always read your threads as i am trying to learn...
thanks for taking the time

md(y)

I don't mind sitting for photo's?! :shrug: :D :D :D

Joe has not taken many of me lately :( more cars!!!! :p

I don't mind sitting for photo's?! :shrug: :D :D :D

Joe has not taken many of me lately :( more cars!!!! :p

:LOL: to be fair you would make about a 95% better subject to shoot than myself im sure a few would say 100% but i feel i have a little something:naughty:

but do you like the shot LB:shrug:
not the subject..

md (y)

Even 40cm is a small softbox MD, try to get it in closer (but just out of shot), and shooting at a lower f-stop (f8-f11) will help too as there's more of a gradient of in/out of exposure

If your subject isn't moving much at all - like an older model rather than a toddler - then having the softbox so close it is in shot is still okay as you can remove it later

HTH

Even 40cm is a small softbox MD, try to get it in closer (but just out of shot), and shooting at a lower f-stop (f8-f11) will help too as there's more of a gradient of in/out of exposure

If your subject isn't moving much at all - like an older model rather than a toddler - then having the softbox so close it is in shot is still okay as you can remove it later

HTH

noted mate ...
to be fair im still finding it hard what setting to put the lights at as they are variable and this seems to change my f/stop
im in the process of investing in a light meter. if this helps...

Almost all studio lights will have variable power settings MD, that's part of the point with them, and this will change your f-stop too - think of it as being out in the sun at f22, then a small cloud comes over reducing the light by half = now f16; bigger cloud halves that light again = f11; bigger still = f8. Each time the light falling on the subject halves, the f-stop goes down 1

So in the studio full power may be f22, half power f16, quarter power f11, eighth power f8

f8-f11 is most desirable for most subjects as your lens will be at its sharpest around that point and the DoF is fine; also, the area having the same exposure is wider - meaning your subject can move a bit and be neither under/over-exposed compared to the tighter oval of f22

One big bonus of shooting at 1/4 power or so is that your lights will recharge faster, so you'll have less chance of shooting too quickly when they are not ready and under-exposing an otherwise fantastic shot

My Top Tip for studio flash - once set-up, turn off all modelling lights but the key-light; and if you can, turn the modelling light on that one well down, but so you can still see the catch-light in the subject's eyes. This stops the room heating up so much and hugely lengthens bulb longevity. A nice aside is that it also makes it impossible for a child's mum to realise how fantastic the images will be! Blows their minds later that one :D and makes them :crying:

:LOL: to be fair you would make about a 95% better subject to shoot than myself im sure a few would say 100% but i feel i have a little something:naughty:

but do you like the shot LB:shrug:
not the subject..

md (y)

Yes, I do like the shot! very nicely done IMO! (y)

Why you hiding your face though? would like to see a little melancholic smile! ;)

Back