"No worries for 2 minutes"

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been out and about in Liverpool, photographing some of the bits of street art. This is one of a collection of fake road signs installed by Finnish artist Otto Karvonen. Part of "Made Up", the Liverpool Biennial International 08 exhibition.

Day.

2907603656_0ce7ca1eb9_o.jpg

Night.

2926301843_a5b68ef28c_o.jpg

C & C welcome.

I like both of those. Although I think the clouds fit the intent of the sign better. (y)

#1 is my pick, the bright blue sky is more in keeping with the notion in the sign. My experience, as a native born Liverpudlian, is that 2 minutes is a long time not to worry in Liverpool. ;) The sign must be in one of the posh parts of the city.

The sign must be in one of the posh parts of the city.

lol, not really, it's just at the bottom end of Paliament steet, in good old Toxteth (and before anyone starts, I'm not having a go at 'Tockie', as I live there).

lol, not really, it's just at the bottom end of Paliament steet, in good old Toxteth (and before anyone starts, I'm not having a go at 'Tockie', as I live there).

Toxteth is getting posher as I perceive it. The affluent want to live nearer the city centre and they are pushing the Toxteth of twenty years ago further out. I noted that a number of the old Granby Street shops are popping up on Smithdown Road. I guess this means that the people have moved out, too. Have you got any others like this?

how long was the night exposure? Ive never taken photos of stars but if that was a "two minute" exposure I really like concept, however the first looks better in my opinion.

Guessing that was longer than two min bulb though?

Hawker, I've seen this and photographed it too. Did you not think that the context in which the sign was placed was important?

I'm of the view that this sign was placed where it was because a casual viewer would look at it and would have the Cathedral in sight too. That's why the words on the sign have a meaning. You may or may not be religious. It doesn't matter. But by removing the Cathedral from the shot you give the work no context.

Otto Karvonen's work in this biennial is about putting signs in places where they're not expected and sending messages that make people think about their surroundings. And, I think these shots miss the point altogether.

Technically fine.

Here's mine - technically rubbish - but I think it gets his point across

Last edited:
how long was the night exposure? Ive never taken photos of stars but if that was a "two minute" exposure I really like concept, however the first looks better in my opinion.

Guessing that was longer than two min bulb though?

Hi, it's a combined shot of about 80, 15 second exposures combined in 'Startrails'

Mobile - The whole question of context is an interesting one. I started off by taking photos with the cathedral in, then just walked up to the sign and took the cloud one without realy thinking about (don't know if I should admit that). Then when I got home and looked at it, I really liked the idea of looking up, staring at clouds and forgetting it all for 2 minutes. So in general I'm with you on context, but for me, I like the way this one works without context. The startrail one i did because I thought it would be a challenge and thought it would look cool (although to be fair i prefer the cloud one out ot the two, despite the effort it took for the startrail)

... I really liked the idea of looking up, staring at clouds and forgetting it all for 2 minutes. So in general I'm with you on context, but for me, I like the way this one works without context.

Fair point - I've re-read my post and maybe I came across a bit arsey (for which apologies).

Well I think I read it the way you meant it, as I didn't think it was arsey at all :)

Back