weekly Nog's 52 Week 16 Empty

The subject is right up my alley. Unlike Bob, I would have tried to limit the bright green and made it more about the sky. I love the colors and texture in the stones playing with the color in the sky. Awesome.

Not too badly robbed out considering it's likely been abandoned since Henry VIII.
I do like a bit of medieval architecture :)
Thanks Tim. Surprisingly Henry didn’t knock it about too badly apparently as it was used, amongst other uses, as a brewery and a wool store before a fire a hundred or so years ago.
The subject is right up my alley. Unlike Bob, I would have tried to limit the bright green and made it more about the sky. I love the colors and texture in the stones playing with the color in the sky. Awesome.
Thanks Bob, yes the green is a bit fluorescent, my excuse is sooc.
Not just up my alley, I was born about 200 yards away at the Infirmary; never ventured into the field to photograph it myself...
Yep pretty close to the infirmary and we were born in the same place
Great subject. I agree that the grass is a but too dominant though.
Thanks Alan, cant argue with that, sooc and holding phone above the security fence is my excuse this week.

Great take on the theme Keith ;)

The lone figure makes it!

Wonderful composition and take on the theme. I might have thought about cloning the couple out. But either way great image

Reactions: nog
Nice. Went there a couple of years ago when we were on holiday.

Wow... that's impresssive. Good to have a person in there to give the sense of scale.

Wonderful composition and take on the theme. I might have thought about cloning the couple out. But either way great image
Thanks Lewis, yes I should look at editing more. It is one my New Year resolutions buy yet to start really :)
A great image and interesting take on the theme.
Thanks Paul
Sterling shot, bang on composition-wise for me, and an interesting take theme-wise. The figure enables you to realise how huge it is
Thanks Bob, I was pleased to see someone there
Nice. Went there a couple of years ago when we were on holiday.
Thanks Simon, we were last there about 7 years ago, quite surprised how many people there were for a weekday in January

Wow... that's impresssive. Good to have a person in there to give the sense of scale.
Thanks Helen, 120ft and apparently more impressive when it freezes over but not seen that yet

Week 1 is great./ I love that huge slash of green across the bottom of the frame.

Week 2 doesn't scream "hard" at me although your highlighting the words helps :)

Week 1 is great./ I love that huge slash of green across the bottom of the frame.

Week 2 doesn't scream "hard" at me although your highlighting the words helps :)
Thanks Ian
Seems the green across the bottom is a bit marmite- like or hate it
Could not resist it after reading the info board, bit more interesting than a hard boiled egg(hopes no one has posted a hard boiled egg)

Landscape photography is not my bag, but I do like the way you've shown the perspective/size by including the chap sitting on the boulder.
The contrast between teh volcanic and sedimentary rock is also quite stark and well defined in teh shot.

Not just up my alley, I was born about 200 yards away at the Infirmary; never ventured into the field to photograph it myself...
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/welshwizard645/53127180769/in/dateposted-public/
and just a little closer to the Infirmary (1968 - I learnt last weekend I was supposed to be born at HM Stanley in St Asaph...parents lived in Trewen (Erw Salusbury) at the time so my Mum ended up just a little bit further up the old Ruthin Road. Heaven forbid! I could've ended up as a Flintshire baby...

Landscape photography is not my bag, but I do like the way you've shown the perspective/size by including the chap sitting on the boulder.
The contrast between teh volcanic and sedimentary rock is also quite stark and well defined in teh shot.
Thanks Tim, quite handy the man being there, yes the different rocks are quite noticeable
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/welshwizard645/53127180769/in/dateposted-public/
and just a little closer to the Infirmary (1968 - I learnt last weekend I was supposed to be born at HM Stanley in St Asaph...parents lived in Trewen (Erw Salusbury) at the time so my Mum ended up just a little bit further up the old Ruthin Road. Heaven forbid! I could've ended up as a Flintshire baby...
The infirmary is still there but H M Stanley is now a housing estate

That works really well. Good lighting.

I think I might have been tempted to crop about 10% off the bottom, but as it is I like it.

It’s a nice one :)

The lighting really makes this image pop. Looks quite stunning against the dark bg.
Thanks Bob, put on the windowsill at night and put a diy/camping light on the floor pointed up. Worked ok for a simple setup though.
Well done
Thanks Lewis
That works rather well, Keith. The lighting really emphasises the soft part.
Thanks Pete
That works really well. Good lighting.

I think I might have been tempted to crop about 10% off the bottom, but as it is I like it.
Thanks Paul, will have a look at a crop. I know I should to spend more time editing
It’s a nice one :)
Cheers Dave
Nice use of lighting, works well
Thanks Alan

Especially like the lighting of that.

Thanks Bob, put on the windowsill at night and put a diy/camping light on the floor pointed up. Worked ok for a simple setup though.

Simple is good if it works and the many comments on the lighting show that it did work well. Very effective.

Back