Noise on A200

HJS

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

First post, just wondering if anybody is having the same problem with their Sony A200.

I have been a confirmed Nikon man for the past 10 years owning D40/50/70 and a couple of Canon's (sshhh;))

I've recently gone back to digital after a spell of harking back to the good old days shooting 35mm.

To that end after much umming and scratching of head I decided on an A200, felt good in the hand and was impressed by the build quality as well as the features package.

However I have been snapping away for a week or so now and as it stands at the moment I'm pretty unimpressed, however competent the IQ maybe in all other area's the noise is terrible, really intrusive, even as low as ISO 100.

Is this a common problem and if so is there a remedy?

Thanks

HJS

Sounds like your camera's broken. There is no noise at all on my A300 at ISO 100.
Can you post some examples?

Sounds like your camera's broken. There is no noise at all on my A300 at ISO 100.
Can you post some examples?

I can when I get home this evening, I had come to the same conclusion that I may have got a duffer, It's as if the NR has gone mad, even when completely switched off and shooting raw, there are both noise and NR artifacts regardless of the ISO, If your able would it be possible to post a full resolution image from your A300 so I can compare.

Cheers

HJS

On my Flickr the 'Metal bodied test' group. I accidently left the ISO on 800 for all the tennis racket shots

On my Flickr the 'Metal bodied test' group. I accidently left the ISO on 800 for all the tennis racket shots

Thank's Leaky5,

I think looking at your shots confirms it, back to the shop I go.:shrug:

HJS...same here,in that there is absolutely no noise present on my A350 at ISO's 100 and 200.there is a little at 400 and 800,but it doesn't cause any major degradation to the images when run through noiseware community.i now also have the A700,which is far better at handling the noise at higher ISO's.....

these were shot at ISO 800...

DSC00180_filtered.jpg

blackbird2copy_filtered.jpg

Just to update the thread, I swapped the A200 over for another (same model).

I am now happy:), it would seem there was quite a serious problem someware with the 1st one as the IQ from that and the current one is chalk and cheese. Noise free upto ISO400, not really noticable until beyond 800.

It must have been punishment from the Gods of Nikon for defecting.:naughty:

I look forward to posting some Photographs and recieving the benifit of C&C once I get used to the Sony system.

Thanks for the advice all.

Good news HJS. At the risk of scaremongering I'd check for back focus problems now rather than later as well. If you have any problem you can swap the camera out again (or fix it yourself).

Good news HJS. At the risk of scaremongering I'd check for back focus problems now rather than later as well. If you have any problem you can swap the camera out again (or fix it yourself).

As it turns out I spoke too soon.:( Further testing revealed severe backfocusing problems further to which I was still unhappy with the general IQ.

However I have served my pennance for defecting to a rival manufacturer and have appeased the Gods of Nikon by replacing the A200 with a shiny new D60.:woot:

Initial impressions are very good, IQ is pure Nikon, having only ever had 6mp Nikon DSLR's before the 10.2mp resolution is immediately apparent.

Now all I need is the sun to come out.:)

Back