North/North East Lincolnshire

Name
Michelle
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any different locations in North/North East Lincs.
I have done the usual - Humber Bridge, Humber Bank, Far Ings and the general scenery but can anyone suggest somewhere a little different?

Ta :D

I had a rushed visit to Scunthorpe one evening and wished I'd had time to try night/dusk shots of the steelworks and such.
If that's not too far from you, worth checking out.

Not too far, I work about 5 minutes from them. Might have to delay hometime a little now the nights are drawing in. They are quite interesting, the ones at Killingholme are fab on a night too...looks like wonderland at night!
I'm looking for somewhere to venture during the day as well as I take my sister out every other Saturday and am running out of locations!!

hi michelle try whisby nature park at lincoln they have bird feeding stations/hides and a good cafe too, you also have the castle and the cathedral too you could also try many of the bridges over the m180 for some light trail shots also go for a walk along the river hope it helps

Thanks Kev, I'd forgotten about Whisby. Was thinking about walking along one of the rivers, maybe from Brandy Wharf?

snitterby carr up from brandy wharf (towards lincoln) is good as it has a nice weir there also lock gates a little walk up form the weir can get a little muddy this time off year so recommend boots/wellies

You also have an abundance of old airfields over there which offer all sorts of opportunities for photography.

there is an old airfield in the village down the road but has been neglected and half of it pulled up. is there anywhere online that lists old airfields?

Why dont we organise a meet up?
Im from scunthorpe and looking for new ideas and to also meet people to better my technique. Theres copious amounts of redundant building works, architecture we could shoot.

im up for a meet up when and where :)

Im hosting a Ford Pub Meet at:

4.00PM
SUNDAY 28th OCTOBER 2012
Arties Mill Lodge
Wressle Road
Castlethorpe
Brigg
Lincolnshire
DN20 9LF​

Everyone is welcome to come, if your into Classic and modern day Fords. Bring your camera's along!

Failing that, if anyone wants to meet in other area's then post up some thoughts.

Waltham Windmill.

there is an old airfield in the village down the road but has been neglected and half of it pulled up. is there anywhere online that lists old airfields?

Don't know the url offhand but there is a website devoted to Lincolnshire airfields.

If you give me a centre point and radius you want to work within I could extract a list from my own database for you.

Hi Morfis the village I am in is Goxhill on the South bank of the Humber and would travel upto maybe 30 miles if there is anything around there that would make for some interesting shots.

Just to throw another one in, does anyone know where the best place to see Kingfishers is? I know we have the reserves in Barton but I'm a bit clueless on best places to see these beauties!

Hi Morfis the village I am in is Goxhill on the South bank of the Humber and would travel upto maybe 30 miles if there is anything around there that would make for some interesting shots.

Just to throw another one in, does anyone know where the best place to see Kingfishers is? I know we have the reserves in Barton but I'm a bit clueless on best places to see these beauties!

You'll have photographed all around RAF Goxhill and know it far better than me then! I was up there earlier this year to photograph the Battle Headquarters (which has a couple of unique modifications) and the two observation posts. Not to everyone's taste but the geometric patterns of the internal hangar structure can make an interesting subject. The hangars are for sale again at the moment I think. Quite a few buildings on the communal and technical sites.
Hibaldstow has a watch office that is now a house and the owners are OK about photos. Part of the airfield is active and hosts some of the major parachute jumping competitions.
Wickenby has a good condition watch office and is active with light aircraft.
Sturgate watch office is used for light aircraft and has a few buildings around the watch office (you can go in the watch office when the club are there).
There are a lot more.

The website I was thinking of (as there are some photos) was:
http://www.raf-lincolnshire.info/index.htm

There are also:
http://www.aviationheritagelincolnshire.com/ (partnership that promotes aviation heritage)
http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/regional/Lincolnshire.html (locations and links to GE aerial view)

Further away than your 30 miles but RAF East Kirkby Museum have a night-time taxi run for their Lancaster on the saturday before bonfire night. Crew and other people in 1940's clothing. It's always a good night...very relaxed and friendly with loads of photo opportunities

Possibly better to take this to PM or people will think I'm an anorak?

Thanks for that Morfis I will check those links out. The Lancaster taxi run/night sounds like it would be great fun!
And no one will judge you for being an 'anorak' as you say, all very helpful!

Ooo that looks like it would be worth a visit one weekend! Thanks

Hi Michelle,

I'm only down the road in Barrow. The sunrises we get can be quite spectacular and I've taken a few from East Halton skitter. I was also contemplating a visit to Wrawby mill as the sun sets behind it at this time of year, although I'm not sure of the access available.

Hi Michelle,

I'm only down the road in Barrow. The sunrises we get can be quite spectacular and I've taken a few from East Halton skitter. I was also contemplating a visit to Wrawby mill as the sun sets behind it at this time of year, although I'm not sure of the access available.

I've just moved from Barrow to Wootton (my Dad lives in Goxhill as per the previous comment re airfields) I hadn't thought about East Halton, we used to go fishing down there when I was younger! Not heard of Wrawby Mill, where is that? (except Wrawby haha!)

Oh yes I know where you mean, I have past that numerous times! Thank you

Just another thought, now that the pond in Wootton has been reinstated to its former glory, that can make an interesting subject in itself. The ducks are also easy to photograph as they are so tame.

Sorry if I'm suggesting something you may already have done.

No I have often thought about the pond but sometimes my creativity with an 'object' like that just goes for a wander and I tend to just get snaps! I missed all the young ducklings and birds this year but hopefully will get some next year!
With regards to the sunsets as you mentioned earlier since moving to Wootton I have noticed that at the end of the High Street (opp end to the pond) the sunsets beautifully over the fields at that end, only issue being that when ever I am in a position to head down there the sunset is really poor! Typical!

hi Michelle, i'm originally from Kirton-in-Lindsey and the windmill there is quite striking on top of the hillside and you may find some nice mature parkland trees at Scawby Park in their autumn glory at the moment!.....There's always Twigmoor Woods and Scotter Common as well!!
Regards Andy

Thanks Andy, I will have to have a trip over there once my car back on the road!

I am planning on going back to Donna Nook this year...any ideas when to go, I think I went first week of November last year.

Sand racing looks fun!!!

I am planning on going back to Donna Nook this year...any ideas when to go, I think I went first week of November last year.

Sand racing looks fun!!!

found a website that says October to December,we went at the end of November last year and there was plenty of activity going on.Unfortunately just after we went I heard there was an abnormally high tide that swept all the pups out to sea killing quite a few.

Yes there was a really high tide, very sad. I got some good shots on the 6th Nov last year (checked my dates!) so think we will be going soon!

found a website that says October to December,we went at the end of November last year and there was plenty of activity going on.Unfortunately just after we went I heard there was an abnormally high tide that swept all the pups out to sea killing quite a few.

Hi Chris

I went to Donna Nook this weekend and took plenty of photos. I will post some of them up once I get round to processing them!

I spoke to a few of the "Seal Warden's" who said that the end of November is when there are the most seals on the beach. Last year there were around 1400 pups born, and up to the weekend there had been around 400 born, so still a few more to go!

Michelle,

Other than the usual landmarks and local industries, did you find any interesting spots for night photography?

Best Regards
Danny

No I can't think of anywhere for night photography really. Are the docks at Grimsby now manned by security...think it has changed a great deal from when I was last there!

we went up to Whitby last weekend for the goth festival and i got a couple of resonable shots from up near the whalebone just off to the left,of the harbour.

Back