Northamptonshire

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I've lived in Northamptonshire for over 40 years but become very stale and uninspired of late taking photos unless I going somewhere different

I'm also getting off my backside and cycling more now so thought I could combine this with my photography. Does anybody know of any 'hidden treasures' in Northamptonshire, interesting scenery, buildings etc? I promise not to tell anyone :)

Well these are not exactly "Hidden Treasures" but in north east Northamptonshire you could check out Geddington, with the Eleanor Cross and also Boughton House on the edge of the village. Also Kirby Hall and Deene Park are close together and Rockingham Castle and Lyveden New Bield are all well worth a visit, some great architecture and grounds to boot!
You may have entrance fees to pay and check on opening times too....Regards Andy

Well these are not exactly "Hidden Treasures" but in north east Northamptonshire you could check out Geddington, with the Eleanor Cross and also Boughton House on the edge of the village. Also Kirby Hall and Deene Park are close together and Rockingham Castle and Lyveden New Bield are all well worth a visit, some great architecture and grounds to boot!
You may have entrance fees to pay and check on opening times too....Regards Andy

Thanks Andy - these look good areas as they're on the eastern side of the county so not places I've visited regularly

What about the Brampton Valley Way between N'pton and Mkt Harboro? A traffic free 14-16 miles (depending on who's info you read) and almost totally flat. Streams, wildlife, scenery, and the two wonderful old train tunnels near Maidwell with the shafts delivering light to the ground from a hundred feet above.

What about the Brampton Valley Way between N'pton and Mkt Harboro? A traffic free 14-16 miles (depending on who's info you read) and almost totally flat. Streams, wildlife, scenery, and the two wonderful old train tunnels near Maidwell with the shafts delivering light to the ground from a hundred feet above.

Thanks for that - the added benefit being on a bike is no hills! I rode Brampton Valley to Market Harborough many years so thing a revisit is due

If you are across Kettering area then you also have Triangular Lodge in Rushton

Andrew

Thanks - I used to visit a customer over there and never took a look around. Will take a look - when the wind and rain dies down!

+1 for these locations, some crackers here!

If on your bike there is also Pitsford Reservior and if you cycle round Pitsford Reservior way you can head out to villages like Old, Lamport and Scaldwell etc plenty of countyside and village scenes depending on what you like?

I usually do a 30+ mile cycle from Wellingborough through to Pitsford and up to Old, Scaldwell, Lamport and back across to Broughton and up the A43 up to Sywell and back to Welly, some lovely views but never carry the DSLR with me :bonk:

If going to Pitsford you also have the Nature Reserve on the other side of the road so has less foot traffic and apparently some great bird hides etc, think I am gonna join for a year and see what it is like....

This sounds ace i need head that way and see!!:)

If going to Pitsford you also have the Nature Reserve on the other side of the road so has less foot traffic and apparently some great bird hides etc, think I am gonna join for a year and see what it is like....

You can get a day pass for a fiver. take a packed lunch it takes a few hours to walk round if you keep stopping and snapping!

I would also suggest the footpath (ouse vally way?) that follows the balancing lakes from Northampton to Wellingborough and beyond.

I am also a cyclist btw!

Brian_of_Bozeat said:
You can get a day pass for a fiver. take a packed lunch it takes a few hours to walk round if you keep stopping and snapping!

I would also suggest the footpath (ouse vally way?) that follows the balancing lakes from Northampton to Wellingborough and beyond.

I am also a cyclist btw!

Day pass sounds cool, I'm not far from here so this is a must

Day pass sounds cool, I'm not far from here so this is a must

Just call in the fishing lodge at the end of the causeway, they sell them in there, they also have leaflets and such like, Oh - and its a good place to start your walk as there's a gate in the corner of their car park. Don't leave your car there if you will be late back though, they lock the gate! (Leave it on the causeway if you can)

Brian_of_Bozeat said:
Just call in the fishing lodge at the end of the causeway, they sell them in there, they also have leaflets and such like, Oh - and its a good place to start your walk as there's a gate in the corner of their car park. Don't leave your car there if you will be late back though, they lock the gate! (Leave it on the causeway if you can)

Ah yes I know the bit you mean, I popped down there months back parked up because I wanted a couple of shots of the boats, I thought I was trespassing so ran quick! Lol

Back