Northern Lights in Summer?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondered if the Northern Lights are visible in the far north of UK during the summer - or are they just a winter phenomenon? We are going to the Shetland Isles next June and I wondered if I may be able to get some photos of them during the short nights.

I would think so, it's just the dark time available is so short.
They seem to come and go in a matter of seconds and a lot of luck is involved at best of times.

In summer the sun is only just below the horizon during the night when you're as far north as Shetland.

You're basically in twilight rather than proper darkness

Aurora are linked to Coronal Mass Ejections (CME) which are more common during the maximum of the sunspot cycle. The last maximum was, I think, late 2013, but the cycle is 11 years long so during the cycle there will be periods when there are lots of sunspots during the summer and therefore more chance of a CME, and potentially aurora.

However, 4wd is correct the nights in Shetland in summer are so short that the chances of seeing them must be slim, though I would be happy to be corrected.

Dave

BTW Shetland is spectacular - geology in spades and lots of wildlife.

i live in orkney it never gets properly dark here at that time and shetland is a bit farther north

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like we are unlikely to see any aurora. Looking forward to the wildlife and geology and a chance to give my new 70D an extended outing.

Back