Norwegian Cloud fest

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Over half our holiday was spent under clouds and often in rain, so here are a few of the cloudy days

1 - A stretch of peaceful river in the Telemark region - the D200's magnesium body was worth the cost here, I slipped on wet rocks and it took a bashing, but survived totally intact - PHEW!!

river_3.jpg

2 - the mountains, north of the Sognefjord somwhere in the Jotunheimen National Park

mountainsgalore.jpg

3 - as mentioned in original posting, a HDR version of this low cloud at Solvorn car ferry, near Sogndal on south edge of Lustrafjord, an arm of the Sognefjord. Still quite dark, but didnt want it too light/bright with cloud cover, thought it might look weird. I love how you can see the raindrops on the water.

invading_cloud.jpg

4 - Aagin, somewhere in the Jutunheimen NP, and VERY overcast, but the water really is that green, even on such a dull day and I was constantly amazed by how in a single scene, you could see several 'seasons' - late summer, autumn and winter.

fjordsgalore1.jpg

I am sorry I posted my shots of Norway now. I seemed to get all the sun! Its a shame you did not get the sunshine for at least a wee while. If you had those colours would have been even better. Ah well you will just have to go back next year.

Lovely! A shame you never saw the sun but it looks you made the best of what you had. All good shots but #3 is a belter! (y)

I slipped on wet rocks and it took a bashing, but survived totally intact - PHEW!!

Something similar was in my mind as I stumbled down steep banks and balanced on various wet rocks. Fortunately I didn't have to test the 5D that way!

You have done very well regardless of conditions. The HDR one jumped out at me but I don't mind this one - much more subtle without bright colours glowing at you.

I visit the Lake District quite frequently, and I am often frustrated by the weather. But this set of shots has demonstrated to me that I shouldn't be: it's clearly still possible to take interesting landscape shots in the rain. You've done a great job here.

#1 and #3 for me - head and shoulders above the other 2
loads of detail - just amazing
and HDR (if any) not at all "in yer face"

I am sorry I posted my shots of Norway now. I seemed to get all the sun! Its a shame you did not get the sunshine for at least a wee while. If you had those colours would have been even better. Ah well you will just have to go back next year.

Lovely! A shame you never saw the sun but it looks you made the best of what you had. All good shots but #3 is a belter! (y)

Thanks guys, but it didn't rain all the time. we had two days when it didnt rain at all, whilst at Eidfjord, it was so sunny we had a picnic on the banks of the fjord and the young Swedish waitress at the hotel said they were the best 2 days they had seen all summer :LOL: Most days it did rain, some days very heavily, sometime only showers with quite long cloudy but dry spells in between. So it wasn't all bad, and the clouds wrapped around mountains make for atmospheric shots. The hardest part was capturing the how striking the autumnal colours were when there was so much misty cloud around, whihc is why I have again to thank Gary for his contrast masking tutorial, which has really helped to bring the pictures to life and show how we actually saw it, rather what the camera was able to cope with. :D

Thanks for the comments everyone, it also made me realise that you can get some good stuff even when the weather is apparently against you ;)

Who needs sun with shots like these. They are all superb but No 1 is the pick of the bunch for me (y)

#3 for me, lovely

Really nice seeing these pictures. Brings back good memories. I used to live in Norway (Between the ages of 2 and 12), and lived in South Telemark. I have spent many a holiday up in the Jotunheimen and hardangervidda area. Would love to return sometime. :)

no. 1, 2 + 3 are all great shots, i think no.2 could be improved with more ps work though (has it had HDR treatment?) either way, 1+3 are very dramatic :)

Thanks again for the comments. Only #3 has been HDR'd, the rest have had a basic contrast mask to pull out the range of colours, as the mistiness dulled them in camera. I think the main objective of this little set is to show what can be done even in lousy weather, and as photostar has picked up on, to show what a great country it is. :D

Sunny pictures will be posted soon! :LOL:

Back