Critique Not Another Flying Scotsman Pic

Edit My Images
Yes
The Flying Scotsman done 3 tours over to Fife on Sunday. I was busy all day but managed to nip down to the line at Turnhouse where i knew i could get quite close at track level on the down line.

The fading light made exposure tricky... especially as I needed a reasonably fast shutter speed to freeze her, aperture at f8 to get DOF so went for Manual everything.... except auto ISO. I took a few test shots and was ready. I then focussed about 20m ahead on a lineside box. I felt autofocusing even on Al Servo whilst on a tripod in this situation might lead to a faff or mistake. So id take the shot as she passed the post. The low light made everything a compromise!

When she passed i got 4 shots away. The 4th would have made the best composition but there was too much motion blur at 1/320

IMG_0143.jpg

it would appear to be out of focus

I think there is a bit of that at the front end and a bit motion blur going on too.

If doing it again in similar light id shoot at 1/640 and focus closer to the camera. When i do motor sport photography i find focus easier as I use centre point and Al Servo but in this case you cant really do that when on a tripod.

How would you have gone about achieving the focus better in that situation?

Using a tripod to photograph a moving subject when you can't get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze it is always going to fail. In this case I'd have gone for shallower depth of field & risked servo or single shot (so that it would take the photo the moment it hit focus) for a faster shutter speed, and panned as the train went past. If the loco was moving fairly briskly then you've have needed faster than 1/640th to freeze it. Since you've done motorsport then treat the train like any other vehicle, but in front of a different kind of background.

Using a tripod to photograph a moving subject when you can't get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze it is always going to fail. In this case I'd have gone for shallower depth of field & risked servo or single shot (so that it would take the photo the moment it hit focus) for a faster shutter speed, and panned as the train went past. If the loco was moving fairly briskly then you've have needed faster than 1/640th to freeze it. Since you've done motorsport then treat the train like any other vehicle, but in front of a different kind of background.

Yes... ill defo try that next time! I guess for this shot i wasn’t really after the blurred background you get when panning as my shot below shows... i guess however there is sometimes “you cant always get what you want!” The light was just too poor! I must admit also I found being up at ISO5000 lead to a lot of grain!

IMG_0102.jpg

I think there is a bit of that at the front end and a bit motion blur going on too.

If doing it again in similar light id shoot at 1/640 and focus closer to the camera. When i do motor sport photography i find focus easier as I use centre point and Al Servo but in this case you cant really do that when on a tripod.

How would you have gone about achieving the focus better in that situation?
without being there, im not 100% sure.... probably focus on the front of the train as thats the initial point of interest

Yes... ill defo try that next time! I guess for this shot i wasn’t really after the blurred background you get when panning as my shot below shows... i guess however there is sometimes “you cant always get what you want!” The light was just too poor! I must admit also I found being up at ISO5000 lead to a lot of grain!

View attachment 127054

The shutter speed on your Caterham image is still to slow IMO - the car has to be 'tack sharp' when panning unless a special effect is being sought:

_DSC1643 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
The shutter speed on your Caterham image is still to slow IMO - the car has to be 'tack sharp' when panning unless a special effect is being sought:

_DSC1643 by Fraser White, on Flickr

It was pretty much my first go at panning properly when i was at knockhill a few weeks back. I went for a 1/125 shutter speed. I found if i went faster like u suggest i got a sharper car but much too little background blur. I just prob need to work on technique

It was pretty much my first go at panning properly when i was at knockhill a few weeks back. I went for a 1/125 shutter speed. I found if i went faster like u suggest i got a sharper car but much too little background blur. I just prob need to work on technique

Out of interest though what was the shutter speed u used on your image there... Because it seems a good mix of blur and sharp! If its 1/125 which i read is a good starting point then i defo need to practice my technique! I did shoot some sharper ones that day which ill post later in the correct thread.

Out of interest though what was the shutter speed u used on your image there... Because it seems a good mix of blur and sharp! If its 1/125 which i read is a good starting point then i defo need to practice my technique! I did shoot some sharper ones that day which ill post later in the correct thread.

We would have been at Knockhill with you; my company run a team of Mazda MX5's :)

There is no hard & fast rules regarding shutter speed for panning but I always pick a high speed to ensure the car is sharp.

Finding the right location on the circuit (usually the inside of a bend) allows you to move the camera quickly to blur the background. I haven't got steady hands and don't practice enough to be good at panning.

We would have been at Knockhill with you; my company run a team of Mazda MX5's :)

There is no hard & fast rules regarding shutter speed for panning but I always pick a high speed to ensure the car is sharp.

Finding the right location on the circuit (usually the inside of a bend) allows you to move the camera quickly to blur the background. I haven't got steady hands and don't practice enough to be good at panning.

PTA_118 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

PTA_120 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

Any of these your company!?

Last edited:
They were the two metallic blue cars with orange stripes that had BLiNK Optimized written on the sides of them. Great pics though :)
Thanks! I seen those... sort never got a pic of them! I only caught them racing once and wasn't at the best place on the circuit. They were doing reverse circuit that weekend and to be honest I found it harder to find good vantage points.

If you had opened the aperture up a couple of stops to f4 you could then have used a shutter speed of 1/640 and also lowered the ISO by a stop. Then if you had used AI servo and panned with the focus point on the front of the engine you would have got a sharp in-focus image with a reasonably sharp background.
Hey Thanks for your feedback. This prob would have been my thoughts if I was going for a handheld shot anyway... the prob was I got it in my head I'd use a tripod as the light conditions where poor. But you are right a more traditional panini shot would have been better!

Back