Not even the 600mm could get close enough!

• Thread starter Deleted member 34935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34935

Was down on my usual spot on the river that I've been frequenting for a number of years, on a side note it looks like our resident Kingfishers have died over the winter as they aren't anywhere to be seen (or heard).

Its not all bad news though as we now have a Dipper, I haven't seen a Dipper in about 2 years and I've never seen one on this part of the river. This particular one was flying up and down the river every 30 minutes or so, hopefully he'll establish a territory and find a mate and maybe we'll have baby Dippers!

This photo is a massive crop, even with a 1.4 TC and a 600mm it just wasn't close enough, waiting for the D400 so I can get the "extra focal length" (narrower FOV) with a crop body.

Will be ordering a hide this evening, decided that if I'm going to be spending time on the river I'm going to need one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingfishers will have moved to the estuarys when the rivers froze up earlier in the year. Ours bugger off every winter, it is always a joy seeing them return.

Nevertheless, still looks to be a sharp shot James.
Shame about the Kingfishers but you never know they may turn up as did my resident Goldcrest who I thought had succumbed to the harsh weather but it looks well and is now sporting some very handsome gold headgear ! (y)
John

Getting as close as you can is my motto, just because the len is a big one you still need to get as close and not have to do huge crops to get the best results, as much fieldcraft as you can is the way to go and like you said if you get an hide it should be even better to get a good shot

Getting as close as you can is my motto, just because the len is a big one you still need to get as close and not have to do huge crops to get the best results, as much fieldcraft as you can is the way to go and like you said if you get an hide it should be even better to get a good shot

The truth.

For dippers get as low as you can, you don`t really need a hide if there is long vegetation on the banks, just get squat down and cammoed up.Dippers feed in rocky areas of rivers for larvae and small fish, so try and find an area like that.

My relocated KF hides should produce better images this year with a 300mm lens max.

As Frac said, find an area he frequents and get down early, lie down and wait you'll be surprised how close some birds will come when you pose no threat like that.

find an area he frequents and get down early, lie down and wait you'll be surprised how close some birds will come when you pose no threat like that.

I was about as low as I could go! Its just that there aren't any rocks between me and the other side Dippers like there rocks, I think when he gets a bit more used to his surroundings and the water level goes down, not only will I be able to get closer but there will be more areas for him to feed.

Its early days as of yet!

Cheers for the comments

if you watch these, you find that they normally use the same perches up and down the river..try and get yourself hidden from view near one of these perches ,then wait ,if the bird turns up, don't make any sudden moves..you dont need a hide just, use some camo on yourself (trousers & jacket) also cover your hands & face...mark.

Still a good catch James, I could sit and watch the antics of a Dipper all day. Talking of that river, I am guessing it must be Batheaston, Bathampton side of town :shrug: Edit, just looked at your Flickr, Limpley Stoke (y)

Last edited:
would you mind PS'ing a big magenta ring around the birdie?
Looks like a log to me :p

Back