NOT for the faint hearted.

Thanks for that, I am not massively up on the technicalities of rifle shooting.I just know where the deer usually are and which ones need to be culled.

We need a pic. ;)

A few years back there a legendary deer guide up in the wilds of Scotland and people used to pay a fortune for the privilege of shooting a deer. A lot of his customers were big strapping young German geezers. He himself was in his late 70s, but despite their protests he insisted on carrying their rifles so they'd be as fresh and unstressed as possible when it came time to take the shot.

Off he'd go up what he called "the hill" but most of us would call a farping mountain. After about half an hour they were praying for him to break a leg or have a heart attack. :LOL:

Nothing could save you from his scorn if you cocked up the shot when the time came. The ultimate indignity was when he took the rifle off you and finished the job himself.

I like to think he's still up there, but I suppose the odds are against it. :shrug:

That wasn't Arthur Cadman was it? My parents bought his house, he moved next door and became a firm friend to me when I was growing up, I used to go shooting (all sorts) with him, 'floundering' on the Beauly Firth which was great fun with nets and spears and many other outdoor activities. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word although he didn't suffer fools gladly and you may remember him from when he took jack Charlton wildfowling and it was shown on television. Apparently JC was the "most arrogant and boorish man he had ever met."

Quote from the obituary:

At one time he had the reputation of owning the best goose dog in Britain, Bear, as well as the finest deer dog, the labrador Mole.

Bear and Mole were probably the best working dogs I ever came across although Mole did have a destructive streak, Arthur left him in the car one day (an old Russian Muskovich) and when he returned all that remained of the seats were the metal frames and springs, everything else was ripped to shreds! :LOL:

Cadman was a legend, loved his books and even the in-land wildfowling in Jacks Game was watchable.

Thanks guys.........(y)

I have picked up some good names and reading from some of the names and websites mentioned by you..............are you all of the same era as Arthur?.............:exit:.......:D

That wasn't Arthur Cadman was it? My parents bought his house, he moved next door and became a firm friend to me when I was growing up, I used to go shooting (all sorts) with him, 'floundering' on the Beauly Firth which was great fun with nets and spears and many other outdoor activities. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word although he didn't suffer fools gladly and you may remember him from when he took jack Charlton wildfowling and it was shown on television. Apparently JC was the "most arrogant and boorish man he had ever met."

Quote from the obituary:

Bear and Mole were probably the best working dogs I ever came across although Mole did have a destructive streak, Arthur left him in the car one day (an old Russian Muskovich) and when he returned all that remained of the seats were the metal frames and springs, everything else was ripped to shreds! :LOL:

I can't remember the old guy's name Colin, but that wouldn't be him - this guy was born and bred in Scotland. Great post though and a good read!

J Charlton is, or was, a very keen shooter, and that's not the first time I've seen him referred to in those terms by people who went shooting with him. Insufferable big head.... allegedly. ;)

Sorry mate, media stuff holds no interest to me. I don`t like nor trust any of it.

JMO........(y)

I don`t watch telly much, is it worth the watch?

No offence intended.

It's excellent mate -you should watch it.

Very informative, but no punches pulled and no BS. The girl who actually gets to shoot a deer has a huge crisis of conscience about the whole thing anyway, and broke down in tears when she'd done it. Don't want to spoil it for you - give it a watch. Breathtaking scenery. ;)

What a a fantastic geezer that head keeper is!

Last edited:
very infomative programme but totally irresponsible letting someone try to kill an animal that has no experience therefore not being able to do it with one shot thus causing the animal to suffer.

very infomative programme but totally irresponsible letting someone try to kill an animal that has no experience therefore not being able to do it with one shot thus causing the animal to suffer.

Well I'd have to disagree. She'd proved reliable on the static target, and when it came to shooting the deer, she couldn't have been in better company or had better guidance and advice. Even the best shots don't always kill cleanly with one shot. She just placed her shot a fraction low, but brought the deer down and the keeper was able to finish it as quickly as possible.

Even though I like venison I would find it very difficult to shoot a deer even as a hunter. I have no problem taking rabbits up to 40 -45 yards head shot with an air rifle or roost shooting pigeons again head shot, but anything bigger like a Deer I wouldn't like to shoot so I would leave that up the experts in that particular field. I have nothing against culling deer as long as it's done properly and humanely.

Nice rifle and the sound suppressor is almost as big as the dustbin on my mates .17 HMR :D

Nev

Well that killed an hour for me. Absolutely fantastic programme, and highly recommended for anyone who wants to understand more about the subject.

Thanks for the link. (y)

No worries, i have now watched the whole series, and thought it was very good viewing.

From all the bad press that hunting/pest control has, i thought this, from the BBC of all people did very well to balance out the argument, just by educating, a very mis-informed, sheltered public.

Regards,

Jonathan

Allelujiah.............:D

I love a bamby burger or three, dont have a problem with the cull either.

As a novice photographer, I'd like to know what mkaes these good photographs, if indeed thay are. Cheers.

To add, theeeeeeee thing we care the most for is the is wildlife and the conservation of it.The balance needs to be aportioned(SP..sorry), but most things have a place,some do not,but the balance needs maintaining in a sympathetic way. I strongly believe that the majority are trying to do that.

The thing I liked about the programme, was that of all the guests, they didn't choose the best shots - the best shot was actually an experienced shot who'd never shot a deer before. No doubt he would have done the job well, but he was a hunter with no qualms about the job.

The three they chose were all competent steady shots on the static target , but all with real conflicts of conscience about the whole thing, which is of course why they were chosen - the programme wouldn't have have been the same without that conflict in the shooter.

Sadly it wasn't a clean kill, but she did commendably well bringing the deer down for the keeper to finish it .A real cock up would have been a lightly wounded deer which took off and needed to be stalked for miles for a chance of another shot. Everyone wants a clean kill and everything is done to achieve that end, but it doesn't always happen. Do you think that the guy at the abatoir with the humane killer never misses?

The girl's distress and remorse when she was confronted with the deer was real and only to her credit, showing she'd controlled her feelings well enough to do the job. Seasoned shooters may not be in floods of tears every time they shoot a stag but if they didn't feel a bit like that young lady they probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.;)

Good captures and I agree this has to be done to control the number but there are also quite a few people shooting just for fun and in an unprofessional manner. Just after christmas we found a deer on our land which had been shot just for fun, bullet in the stomach, not nice and totally wrong.

Back