Not your usual Swan....

S

stepheno

....but a little belligerent. TIA for coments.

swan01.jpg

regards

I like the idea of the shot, but it seems a little dark, and I think it loses the detail of the swan. I'm sure there is a way it can be lightened a touch in PS without burning all the highlights out (just don't ask me as I'm hopeless!).

It makes a refreshing change, as you say, it's not your usual swan shot :)

Thanks for the feedback Minimeeze - I may have been overzealous with the RAW file, I wanted to have good contrast with the backlight. Here's the original jpg for comparison.

swan02.jpg

regards

ps I'd be interested to see other members processing.

I prefer the lower contrast version.

I'd say it was a nearly great shot. Maybe its not quite sharp enough, maybe its the angle being too high. Whatever the cause my first reaction was 'what is that?'. Should have asked it to turn its head to the side a bit ;)

Looking at the water it may be a bit front focused?

As RobertP says, I agree the focus might not be exactly were it was intended, however I would also say that the light looks like it was against you also, very bright but from a bad angle, confusing the metering of the shot.

I think maybe it just didnt work IMHO.

Would be interested to know if this is a crop or resizing of the actual shot?

Im sure with a the right post processing it can be made to work but thats way beyond my league of PS skills;)

Robert - I agree, the focus is a bit to the front. I was trying to avoid the clicheed swan shot and was waiting for a reaction (which is when you have to be quick). My 70-300 was on full zoom when it's not at it's sharpest.

Warspite - looking at the photo the sun eas coming from behind the swan at about 1 o-clock, not helpful. There is no crop. I think you are right, it might have been a good shot but this just hasn't worked.

Appreciate both your comments.

regards

I had a little fiddle with the swan :naughty: , shadows/higlights/warming filter/selective sharpen/blur.

swan02.jpg

Can't make up my mind if its better/worse or just different :shrug:

I sympathise! You get the action only once and as you say have to be quick. It is one of those times you almost have to trust to luck on what your last setting was and the autofocus is where you think it is!

Back