Nothern lights

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get a little show from the nothern lights whilst i was on north uist last week.This was taken in the church yard around midnight. I need to clone out the red light on the right when i remember.

North Uist by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fantastic. Right place, right time and executed beautifully. Shame about the red light but I'm sure it can be made to disappear.

Great shot Mark, with good comp' and well handled lighting.(y)

George.

Lovely view of the church.

Had you planned to photograph the church at night or did you 'find' it whilst photographing the aurora?

I went to a location a few miles away at the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere to photograph an MOD building( with the aurora) which looked like a giant golfball but a high fence and security lights stopped me getting in. Next to it though was a couple of radio masts so i photographed them then went looking for other buildings and found the church. At the other side of the island was a much photographed crofters cottage but i didnt know which way it faced or if people were staying in it that week so opted for the area i knew a bit better and remembered the church. More images of the week on my flickr site.

Last edited:
Nice capture mark I stay in Scotland but never got out to catch the northern lights yet
On the things to do list LOL

Well worth the effort especially if you are in a dark sky area. This was North Uist and they don't have much light pollution at all. Where i was staying the next thing off the coast is America so no pollution at all from that side of the island.

another from a little further away, its just a pity about the clouds on the horizon as there weren't any clouds anywhere else.

Midnight church by Mark Molloy, on Flickr
I can understand what you mean about the clouds, but does kinda become a leading line leading you into the church :)

Is it me but I think the church looks a bit Minecraft.

Hi folks, new member here. I imagine that this has been asked many times, and there is plenty of information available on the internet but often contradictory. So, what's the best setting to take photos of the Northern Lights? I was in Iceland a couple of weeks ago and we were fortunate to have a couple of nights where the lights were out, however I ended up shooting at ISO 3200 but my EOS 7D (not II) isn't great at higher settings and the photos were quite grainy. It was the first time that I'd ever attempted any night-sky photography and as I wanted to make sure that I caught the lights on camera I didn't spend much time trying different settings. I used f3.5 with just a couple of seconds, but initially tried a higher ISO and longer exposure but as they didn't come out just ended up quick and cheerful to make sure I got something.

Iceland%2B237.JPG

Iceland%2B238.JPG

Iceland%2B258.JPG

Last edited:
Back