Novice!

Name
Karen Harvey
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I’m completely starting out and looking to buy a bridge camera which is less bulky than my Nikon D3500

Nikon.com/imaging/lineup/dslr/d3500/

I'm looking to buy something smaller but without losing zoom capabilities if possible.

Can anyone tell me how this compares please? I've tried looking at optical and digital zoom but can't work it out.

/products/sony-cybershot-dscrx100-v-high-performance-compact-camera-black-10186036

Thank you

And I hope the above aren’t classified as links. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the forum, the important question is which lens are you using with your Nikon? The Nikon 18-55mm kit lens has an equivalent focal length of 27-82.5mm while the Sony RX100v has an equivalent focal length of 24-70mm so the Sony will got a little wider and the Nikon lens will go a little further. The Sony's sensor is smaller than the Nikon although it's still a reasonable size unlike the smartphones sized sensors some other compacts use.

The links have been filtered so I think these are the cameras you're asking about:

Last edited:
Yes those are the cameras. Thank you. Would there be a hugely noticeable difference in the how far they could both zoom?

Would the below be a better investment - it has amazing zoom capabilities?

Sony RX100 VII​

Thank you for any advice.

Yes those are the cameras. Thank you. Would there be a hugely noticeable difference in the how far they could both zoom?
No, the Nikon can zoom slightly further but I don't think it would be noticeable. The Sony goes a little wider which can be useful as you can always crop a little to zoom in on a photo but you can't make the photo wider.
Would the below be a better investment - it has amazing zoom capabilities?

Sony RX100 VII​

Thank you for any advice.
The mk6 and mk7 versions of the camera has a much longer zoom range of 24-200mm compared to 24-70 of the mk3, 4 and 5 versions (and 27-82.5mm of your Nikon lens) but the tradeoff is the longer 24-200mm lens doesn't let in as much light. It's not an easy answer to compare the different RX100s and your Nikon Zoom lens as the Nikon has a larger sensor but if you were wanting to take a lot of shots in low light at wide angle, then the RX100V is a better choice but if you're looking for a more general use camera in a variety of conditions the RX100mkVI or mkVII is likely a better choice as it has a much better zoom range.

It's tricky for me to comment because I haven't used an RX100 with the longer zoom lens only the older ones with the shorter zoom length, I have been toying with an RX100VI to have as a pocket camera again but it's quite a bit of money wasted if it doesn't get a lot of use.

Back