Nuthatch (my first)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Wohooo, had the new 70-200mm one day and it's first outing got me a nice Nuthatch. Was absolutely freezing, my fingers were going numb but I didn't want to go home!

Kaz10will know where these are from ;)

Rather pleased with it, although they are fidgety little things hehe (y)

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

There is a yellow cast on the 2nd one (or it could be just my monitor), but other than that great work!

No. 4 does it for me.

Agreed SLR, there is a slight yellow cast going on :)

Thanks for looking and commenting though, I like to hear what people have to say.

Thanks Kaz ;)

Yes I was absolutely freezing, my fingertips still feel a little tender even now lol! All good fun though. My WB is Auto too, it may be that RAWShooter has given them a little tinge, will have to have another go and check what it's doing.

Scott and Artyman: Thanks guys, much appreciated. Looking forward to more of the same now :)

My WB is Auto too, it may be that RAWShooter has given them a little tinge, will have to have another go and check what it's doing.

I wouldn't do much if anything to 1, 3 & 4, they look okay to me. In fact No. 3 is spot on. It's only No. 2 that could do with a bit of tweaking.

I wouldn't do much if anything to 1, 3 & 4, they look okay to me. In fact No. 3 is spot on. It's only No. 2 that could do with a bit of tweaking.

Cheers buddy, glad you like (y)

The Woodpecker was lurking around today but he was too far away for me with a 200mm.

There was a guy with what looked like a Canon 500mm who seemed to be getting some of the action

Like the pose of 1 & 3

Very nice nutty selection though looks a little yellow on my screen

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Until today I had never seen a Nutty let alone take pics of one, so that alone makes me happy ;)

Sussed the yellow tinge, it was my colour temperature on rawshooter, so will keep a close eye on that in future.

Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting, means alot to me as I've only really started shooting birds since the week before Christmas so any positives comments is a massive plus!

Dan

Thanks Joe ;)

Pippo: Where you up the Chase today also? I only saw 1 other guy and he had a Canon 500mm a tripod...

Yes, I put the seeds out, they comprise of Sunflower Seed, Yellow Millet, cut Maize, Milo, Red Millet and Wheat.

Well done - Nutties don't give you too many chances. When it's cold on Cannock Chase it gets seriously cold!

Well done - Nutties don't give you too many chances. When it's cold on Cannock Chase it gets seriously cold!

Thanks very much (y)

Agreed though, they don't give you many chances so you have to be quick!

Pretty proud of these as my first attempt though.

Today was one of the coldest I've ever felt up there, luckily I'm only 5 minutes drive away so was home with a brew in no time lol

:cool:

Dj - sorry, my grammar does not look so good. I meant that I had woodpecker in wood adjacent to my house . Actually it is a cemetery and has wooded boundaries. Had nuthatches in garden last year, that's why I am interested in the seed mix. The woodpecker today was a first - often heard but never seen until today.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in another thread, daughter has 70-200 in S Amaerica tour, so I am a bit limited anyway.

Ahhh, I do aplogise mate ;)

Thought you meant in the adjacent wood to where I was haha!

Yes, the seed is a good mix that attracts most birds, so works well. The Nuthatch is one of my favourite birds, the way it manouvers and it's stances, looks superb!

Dan, your colour balance is off, in the 1st image the poor fellow looks to have a yellow chest, not sure which body you are using, but I see you are playing the photography lottery that is Auto White Balance :D

I always have mine set to "Sunny", because it is sunlight that is lighting the bird, even when it is lightly overcast. (I even leave it on Sunny when using the flash as it is a tad warmer). The only time I may use "Cloudy" is when it is heavy overcast skies (or to make a sunset / sunrise more orange)

Nice sharp images, the third is my favourite (y)

Martyn,

Thanks for looking and for the comments ;)

I'm out again tomorrow, so will have a look at experimenting with those WB's. I'm using the D50 body, but they were RAW shots so in all likeliness my editing in RAWShooter might be off too...I will check after tomorrows shoot.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm more than happy to hear good tips :)

Last edited:
Martyn,

Thanks for looking and for the comments ;)

I'm out again tomorrow, so will have a look at experimenting with those WB's. I'm using the D50 body, but they were RAW shots so in all likeliness it's my editing in RAWShooter that might be off...I will check after tomorrows shoot.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm more than happy to hear good tips :)

The most accurate raw editor for Nikon files is Capture NX2 (y)

Back