NX2 so sloooowww

Kev

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
When I make a change in NX2, especially if I've magnified the image, the little busy whirly icon thingy goes mad and takes so long I wonder about making a cuppa. Boring boring boring :bang:

I used to be a computer techie but I'm completely out of touch with modern hardware (DOS 6.22 anyone??) so I need some advice please.

I obviously need to upgrade my computer but what will give me the best performance/price compromise with Nikon Capture NX2?

I'm currently using Xp Pro and that will not change.
MoBo is about 3 years old and is a Winfast 6150M2MA
2Gb DDR2 ram
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
CPU is Athon 64x2 3600+ (2.01GHz)

What would you recommend as a decent upgrade?

cheers
Kev

I dunno, everything I've heard about NX is that its slow on just about everything, although some peeps say NX2 is faster than NX, I've only run it on a 2.4 celeron and 1g of ram and its barely usable, I'm not certain how far you need to go to run the thing at the speed you want.
I mean the thing should run good on a 21'st century editing biased spec pc, but I don't know if it does, its a complete meat head.
I was reading about some guy the other day, complaining that his quad core and 4g of ram didn't do sod all to speed up NX from his previous kit, he didn't say what he was running before but it hardly seems to matter, if its slow on that....its just slow/end.
He could have been exaggerating, I dunno.
Its a shame, it produces the very best output from NEF's.

I dunno, everything I've heard about NX is that its slow on just about everything, although some peeps say NX2 is faster than NX, I've only run it on a 2.4 celeron and 1g of ram and its barely usable, I'm not certain how far you need to go to run the thing at the speed you want.
I mean the thing should run good on a 21'st century editing biased spec pc, but I don't know if it does, its a complete meat head.
I was reading about some guy the other day, complaining that his quad core and 4g of ram didn't do sod all to speed up NX from his previous kit, he didn't say what he was running before but it hardly seems to matter, if its slow on that....its just slow/end.
He could have been exaggerating, I dunno.
Its a shame, it produces the very best output from NEF's.

Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear. I've tried a few different PP programmes and although I'm not100% happy with NX2 it's OK apart from the speed.

I read on the Nikon website that the hardware requirements were for 256MB ram and IIRC a pentium4 1.6GHz. I don't think so :wacky:

Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear. I've tried a few different PP programmes and although I'm not100% happy with NX2 it's OK apart from the speed.

I read on the Nikon website that the hardware requirements were for 256MB ram and IIRC a pentium4 1.6GHz. I don't think so :wacky:

Yes, that's plop.
The ram is miles out, my copy of NX uses 600mb of ram on a save as..
You need some actual user experiences, which is what this thread is about.
I have a dual core and 2g, but haven't had the time or the space to try NX on it yet, still using Nikon Capture 4 which I really like.
I'm interested myself in anyone who runs NX at any kind of usable speed.

NX2 isn't the fastest bit of software in the world, but it's definitely the best RAW converter for Nikon files IMO.

I'm running NX2 on Vista Home 32, dual core, 3gb and its quick enough. I've never noticed any speed issues. A 35mg image magnifies from 25% to 1600% instantaneously. What else have you got running in the background?

I'm running NX2 on Vista Home 32, dual core, 3gb and its quick enough. I've never noticed any speed issues. A 35mg image magnifies from 25% to 1600% instantaneously. What else have you got running in the background?

Is your image size 35Mb? The bulk of my images are 12Mb or thereabouts.

Magnifying the image isn't the problem, it's when I manipulate the image, especially when I've magnified it, e.g sharpening or changing any of the settings in RAW.

When you say you've never noticed any speed issues have you used NX2 on anything other the Vista? When you say you have a dual core with 3Gb, is that 3Gb of ram?

Thanks for the response, what spec is your CPU, intel or AMD, and what speed is it? Maybe that I'll have to grudgingly try Vista.

Kev

Is your image size 35Mb? The bulk of my images are 12Mb or thereabouts.

Magnifying the image isn't the problem, it's when I manipulate the image, especially when I've magnified it, e.g sharpening or changing any of the settings in RAW.

Kev

I picked a 35mb image so NX2 had more work to do. I have magnified and sharpened, lasso tool, done all kinds of things, and saved as nef and jpeg, no speed issues at all. Sorry, I tried to force some. I'm talking about less than a second.

When you say you've never noticed any speed issues have you used NX2 on anything other the Vista? When you say you have a dual core with 3Gb, is that 3Gb of ram?

Thanks for the response, what spec is your CPU, intel or AMD, and what speed is it? Maybe that I'll have to grudgingly try Vista.

Kev

I've only had NX2 on Vista Home ed.

Here is my spec:

Central Processing Unit(CPU): Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz​
Physical Memory X 4​
1GB​
512MB​
1GB​
512MB​
Hard Disk X 2​
Hitachi 298.09GB​
Hitachi 298.09GB​
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Have you cleared your cache?

Also, I keep my PC very clean. I run tools like CCleaner, Tuneup utilities or Vista Manager daily, and I clean registry etc

I've been through all from Win3.2, 95, 98, ME, 2kp, XP and Vista Home. Absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, like anything, it needs a bit of looking after and cleaning.

I hope this has been helpful.

I don't have much trouble with 4 gig ram on the earlier Nikon NX.(windows XP Home)

Realspeed

Thanks for the feedback, so it looks as if I can get NX2 to go faster. I just need to figure out what to change.

The only reason for me not to change to Vista is the cost and learning curve, I know XP and it's very stable and does everything I want.

I've read that XP doesn't like to run with more than 3Gb of ram.

If you're able to use NX2 effectively on a 35Mb file then I really should be able to get mine running better. I'll look at cleaning my computer first, but looking at the Taskmaster there's not much actually running in the background.

cheers
Kev

I only have Capture NX but on my machine everything is instant on it.

I have Intel Core2Duo E8500 @4.2ghz, 4gig RAM and its running Vista 32bit on a 750gb SATA hard drive with 500gig free, graphics is an Nvidia 280 1gb ram.

To be honest though nothing is slow on this PC.

I would say upgrade your PC to a modern Intel dual core with at least 2gig ram and a sata hdd and you will be flying, also Vista will make that spec faster as well

I would say upgrade your PC to a modern Intel dual core with at least 2gig ram and a sata hdd and you will be flying, also Vista will make that spec faster as well
That's certainly the way I'm leaning.

I've a question about dual core, my CPU is listed as 64x2, does that make it a dual core and therefore is it still pretty quick at 2GHz.?

I've already cleaned the PC cleared the cache and ran scandisk and defrag and TBH it's not made that much difference.
I may try Vista on this PC before swapping the MoBo and CPU, my HDD is already SATA and I think there will be little to gain from upgrading the graphics card as it's still half decent.

thanks
Kev

Your cpu is an older AMD X2 dual core, while yes it is a dual core the tech inside is vastly different to the modern versions from Intel which are much faster in comparison, don't go Vista without a new chip and faster up to date ram DDR2 or 3 (min 2gig)

Have you got the manual?
If so look at pages 39 (Edit List preference) and 46/47 (Cache Settings)

Have you got the manual?
If so look at pages 39 (Edit List preference) and 46/47 (Cache Settings)

I'd already tweaked the cache settings to my requirements thanks. I've had to leave the main cache on the "c" drive as I only have the one drive.
cheers
Kev

I upgraded the ram from 2GB to 4GB on my macbook pro and then NX2 started running at an acceptable speed. Still now where nears as fast as LR2 and Photoshop though.

T.

I upgraded the ram from 2GB to 4GB on my macbook pro and then NX2 started running at an acceptable speed. Still now where nears as fast as LR2 and Photoshop though.

T.

i got a quad core intel / 4gb DDR3 / 1GB pci-e card etc ..etc ....

and its still boringly slow doing certain things ... so somewhat dissapointed :shake:

I ended up with a dual core 6000 with 3Gb ram and it only improved a bit.

I really don't know why others seem to have no problems, maybe they're using it only with JPG's :cautious:

Kev

When I make a change in NX2, especially if I've magnified the image, the little busy whirly icon thingy goes mad and takes so long I wonder about making a cuppa. Boring boring boring :bang:

I used to be a computer techie but I'm completely out of touch with modern hardware (DOS 6.22 anyone??) so I need some advice please.

I obviously need to upgrade my computer but what will give me the best performance/price compromise with Nikon Capture NX2?

I'm currently using Xp Pro and that will not change.
MoBo is about 3 years old and is a Winfast 6150M2MA
2Gb DDR2 ram
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
CPU is Athon 64x2 3600+ (2.01GHz)

What would you recommend as a decent upgrade?

cheers
Kev

You need an iMac ;)

I only have 2GB on my iMac and it runs as fast as I need it. No slow downs at all. Instant.

Gary.

i wonder what sort of spec system Nikon recommend ... ?

I can't remember off the top of my head but it's very ordinary, IIRC Pentium 1.6Ghz with 512mB ram, or at least of that order.
I'd like to see a computer of that spec PPing a NEF file from a D3X :bang:

Kev

I can't remember off the top of my head but it's very ordinary, IIRC Pentium 1.6Ghz with 512mB ram, or at least of that order.
I'd like to see a computer of that spec PPing a NEF file from a D3X :bang:

Kev

That is what you said in post 3 :thinking:

Back