Ocean Sky

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Ocean_Sky_01.jpg

Living in the city, it's hard to get shots of the sunrise as the buildings always block it out :(. So, it's nice when the sky does something interesting before sunrise - like it did this morning :naughty:.

That Blue sky is stunning-almost like an approaching storm. I've just looked out the window and its nothing like that. Rob

That Blue sky is stunning-almost like an approaching storm. I've just looked out the window and its nothing like that. Rob

;) That's probably because I live in Germany and you're in London :D.

It was the tail end of some pretty heavy rain, but it almost looked like an inverted ocean with those wave-like shapes on the left.

Last edited:
;) That's probably because I live in Germany and you're in London :D.

That might have something to do with it:LOL::bonk: Now you mention it, it does look like an inverted ocean.(y) Rob

Like that, great colour and very surreal :)

That is a spectacular NLC (Nocti Lucent Cloud) display. Well caught.

That is a spectacular NLC (Nocti Lucent Cloud) display. Well caught.

Thanks :)! Do you think that I should go and post it in the, "Cloud Appreciation Society" thread - sounds like a rare variety :D?

;)

They are a bit of a mystery... Ian DJ knows a lot more about them than I do... they're not really clouds in that sense. These are "clouds" of possibly ice crystals some 50 odd miles up in the high atmosphere. They only show when the sun is below the horizon and shining on them, when the high atmosphere conditions are right. You can see normal clouds as dark patches beneath them.

They are a bit of a mystery... Ian DJ knows a lot more about them than I do... they're not really clouds in that sense. These are "clouds" of possibly ice crystals some 50 odd miles up in the high atmosphere. They only show when the sun is below the horizon and shining on them, when the high atmosphere conditions are right. You can see normal clouds as dark patches beneath them.

Hmm, interesting stuff :)!

You can see the entire formation a lot more easily in this wide angle shot (although I felt that it looked a little bit less dramatic than the previous version :|). As you said, the actual clouds (the small, patchy ones in the top left) appear black beneath them.

Ocean_Sky_03.jpg

I must say, I don't think that I've seen the sky looking quite like this before, but then we have had a lot of very heavy rain and some weird atmospherics lately :(.

You know, I prefer that wide angle view even more :) NLC's are normally only seen during June and July.

I prefer the wide angle too. :) It is a stunning sky though. Reminds me of being under water.

Thanks for the positive comments, folks :).

I was quite annoyed with the fuzzy trees in the wide angle version, but the wind had picked up a bit when I took that one. Still, if it doesn't bother you, then I can live with it too (I will straighten it a bit though) :D.

Stunning!!! I have never ever seen a sky like that, ever. Do you think you get purple versions? :D

Gary.

gorgeous sky! Never seen anything like it!
I prefer the 2nd pic that was posted, is a lot more interesting. A little too much black in the first photo for me.
Good work :)

Stunning!!! I have never ever seen a sky like that, ever. Do you think you get purple versions? :D

Gary.

Oh I think that could arranged, Gary :D! Just a tweak or two on the ol' WB and who knows ;)!?

gorgeous sky! Never seen anything like it!
I prefer the 2nd pic that was posted, is a lot more interesting. A little too much black in the first photo for me.
Good work :)

No, I've never seen anything like it before either. It was rather spooky that I woke up at that time and suddenly got the urge to look out through the curtains, as that's something which I never normally do if I wake up in the middle of the night :shrug:!? Perhaps the gods of photography were trying to tell me something :LOL:.

Anyway, just to complete the thread, here's the third and final capture from the night, which I pulled out the camera last week. It was under-exposed, but because I'd used a wider aperture, it was a shorter shutter speed and the image has less movement blur. It also had the Pole star (I believe :thinking:) in it, which is a nice touch.

Ocean_Sky_05.jpg

This may well actually be my favourite from the bunch :naughty:.

A unreal looking sky there and some great shots, I particularly like 2 and 3. Did you do much Post processing to these images?

A unreal looking sky there and some great shots, I particularly like 2 and 3. Did you do much Post processing to these images?

No, for a change :naughty:.

WB was set to auto and looks about right to my eye. All I did was to boost the contrast by 5% and sharpen by 15% (and a quick crop and straighten ;)). On the third image, I had to push the brightness right up and balance it out with a little more contrast, as it was quite under-exposed when in raw format.

These 'noctilucent' cloud formations really are this stunning and surreal to look at - we just don't see them very often :shrug:.

Awesome sky, you should have kept it back for next months "Nocti Lucent Clouds" competition :)

Those look bloody stunning - first for me (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
NLC s - thought that was something to do with car parking :wacky:

Awesome sky, you should have kept it back for next months "Nocti Lucent Clouds" competition :)

Now there's a comp that I could have got more than 4 votes in :naughty:, had I not blown it by posting these here :(.

;)

Those look bloody stunning - first for me (y)
NLC s - thought that was something to do with car parking :wacky:

:D No, it stands for 'Northern Landscape Club'; something reserved for highland dwelling, 10 stop owning masters of the shutter - way above my level ;)!

These are just snap shots really :|, Mother Nature has to take the credit.

Thanks for the comments, guys ;).

Back