Odontophobia ... !!!

Edit My Images
No
Odontophobia ... :eek: :puke: :sulk: :( :wacky:

I am only going for a check up at lunch time ... but I seriously HATE going to the dentist ... always have and like as not always will ... (what a whimp eh !) ... and it just seems to get worse the older I get ... !

Thing is my current dentist is NHS and seems to go along with me suggesting everything is fine so I can get out of there pdq ... even hate the routine clean he gives me each time ...

My teeth are far from perfect because of this inate fear ... but, touch wood, they are not giving me any grief at the moment.

Jill attends a local private dentist and he is far more thorough with her than mine has ever been with me. I know I will probably regret it in time because sooner or later I am going to have to have a mouthful of treatment done ... :eek: ... not only is this going to scare the proverbial out of me it is probably going to need a mortgage to sort out ... :bang:

But I can't help it ... I know it is illogical and quite unnecessary but ... I would rather do anything other than have treatment at the dentist ...

Does anyone else have this problem quite as badly as I seem to ... :shrug:

:p

I bet Fangman does!!! ;) :D :LOL:

I went to the dentist. He said -

'good news and bad news'

'Your teeth are fine but your gums have got to come out.'

Thanks, I am here all week, literally. :LOL: :puke:

I fear all medical practitioners, truly scare me to death (no joke intended).

Never had any nightmare experiences to trace it back to, just always had that fear.

Goodluck this afternoon, and be brave :thumbs

:D

I worry...but I worry about losing my teeth more! I will have fillings without pain relief if I can cos I find the injection worse than the driller killer to be honest, mind you I have had to be peeled off the ceiling once or twice! ;)

I only go to the dentist when something hurts but it doesn't bother me at all. A couple of times I've nearly nodded off in the chair :)

I wish Pxl8 ... oh how I wish ... :eek:

And I know that feeling Marianne ... I'm usually crawling all over the ceiling before I go ... ;)

:LOL: @ Glo ... sensitive in your old age Glo ... :D

Off to get ready and go now guys 'n gals ... thanx for all your support ... :cautious:

:D

Totally with you Ven - but in a much more irrational way. Haven't been since 1989 and would much rather take the 'Men behaving Badly' approach than cross the threshold of one of those evil apron wearing failed Dr's again.

GP's and Dr's - one visit in 15 years for tonsilitis (couldn't do much for myself on that one).

Yes, its totally irrational. No, I can't be helped :(

GloTeaser said:
Ill tell you why I hate the dentist ...... when you come back!

BACK ... Glo ... :D

And no problems found ... as instructed when I walked in the door ... :woot: ... still broke into a cold sweat going up the stairs and continued sweating even while having the obligatory clean-up ... :eek: ... until I finally left the surgery after having to sign bits, pay and make another appointment ... :nuts:

Although I did feel a bit better discussing it here afore I went (thanx peeps ... (y)) the thinking started en route and just builds up until it's all over ... :cautious:

GP's and Dr's - one visit in 15 years for tonsilitis (couldn't do much for myself on that one).

Yes, its totally irrational. No, I can't be helped :(

Crikey Jonny ... don't you worry about what might need doing in there ... :eek: ... 15 years and never a problem ... :cautious:

Crikey Jonny ... don't you worry about what might need doing in there ... :eek: ... 15 years and never a problem ... :cautious:

I do worry that at some point I'll have no choice - just keeping that day at bay as long as humanely possible.

the rest of me is pickled so fairly healthy :)

I just turn up, open me gob as wide as possible and tune out!

I don't mind going to the dentist, but since I moved from Yorkshire, I don't seem to be able to get registered with one :( so I haven't been for well over a year now :eek:

I know it sounds stupid but I always take and ipod with me. That way you can lose yourself in the music as much as possible and try to forget about what is going on in there. I went 12 years with no dental insurance (thank you US) so I didn't start back till I went in the Army well 4 years later they are still fixing stuff and I now see the dentist about every 6 weeks to try to fix all that happened in the 12 year hiatus.

I don't mind going to the dentist, but since I moved from Yorkshire, I don't seem to be able to get registered with one :( so I haven't been for well over a year now :eek:

Never thought of private Min ... :shrug: ... got to be better than risking HRF's experiences ... :eek:

H.R.Ford said:
I now see the dentist about every 6 weeks to try to fix all that happened in the 12 year hiatus.

Tough break HRF ... that would do my head in ... as it is, probably because of this inate phobia ... I have always gone for six monthly check-ups and it seems to have paid off ... keeps touching wood ... :D

Odontophobia ... :eek: :puke: :sulk: :( :wacky:

But I can't help it ... I know it is illogical and quite unnecessary but ... I would rather do anything other than have treatment at the dentist ...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm am absolutely petrified of the dentist. About 15 years ago, I had a toothache, and I lived on coffee, cigarettes and pain killers for three weeks before I went to the dentist. In the end my friend made an appointment for me and dragged me there under false pretences! When I sat in the chair, I put my hand over my mouth and burst into tears! In the end I had to have the tooth out, and it cost me £200 quid to have a general anaesthetic. I was 24.

I never went back, until last year, I went with a friend who has the same problems, but not quite as bad. So we sort of supported each other. But I needed another tooth out, so the dentist referred me to a Dental Phobia clinic they run in Coventry. The appointment came for last July, but I never went. And have not been back since. My tooth that needs removing is still there, and to be honest it's a mess. But I just can't go. Even talking about it, just typing this, and reading everyone's comments, makes me want to cry.

Irrational, Illogical and unecessary? yes it is. But no matter how many times I tell myself that, nothing changes. I've tried pills and hypnotherapy, but nothing seems to work.

So yes, I think maybe I can understand exactly how you feel...

Hey Fi ... thanks for the comments and your history ... seems you might have it worse than me ... but then I only keep going for a check up to try and make sure I don't have to suffer anything major ... but it will come ... :eek:

I cannot remember, even, the last time I had a filling ... but I do remember the last tooth (teeth) I lost ... I was about your age when you had your last one out ... general anaesthetic too but in a forces hospital where they whipped out ALL FOUR of my wisdom teeth ... only went in to have the two out that were troubling me ... Major OUCH !!!

When I came round I spent the next 24 hours hooping and generally feeling worse than I ever have before ... well one or two serious hangovers excepted ... :D

But I would advise ... whatever it takes that you do get the tooth out Fi ... it will cause all sorts of problems and ... but I guess you already know that so I'll shut up about it ... :shrug:

... suffice to say you have my complete empathy ... ;)

Always go for checkups, scaling, cleaning and brush your teeth and take calcium supplements. :)

Back