Off camera compatible flash for Nikon D810?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey folks. Looking to add a wee flash unit to my setup and am looking for recommendations for something that will work as an off camera flash compatible with the D810's commander mode. Been googling it all morning but finding it all a bit baffling. Do most flashes or speedlights have this remote capability or is it something that you have to look for specifically?
Thanks!

You’re probably better off with a remote trigger from Godox (or similar) with compatible flashes than looking to use the D810 as controller.

Look for a Godox x pro n

You’re probably better off with a remote trigger from Godox (or similar) with compatible flashes than looking to use the D810 as controller.

Look for a Godox x pro n
Thanks Phil. Can I ask why though? Do remote triggers just work better than the in built remote function?

They are designed to work together rather than trying to be all things to everything

Hey folks. Looking to add a wee flash unit to my setup and am looking for recommendations for something that will work as an off camera flash compatible with the D810's commander mode. Been googling it all morning but finding it all a bit baffling. Do most flashes or speedlights have this remote capability or is it something that you have to look for specifically?
Thanks!
Most Nikon flashes have commander compatibility... I'm not aware of any third party flashes that do.

The problem with Nikon's AWLS is that it is optical; it's fine in darker environments and smaller spaces, but radio communication is much more reliable/versatile. Most new advanced speedlights have radio receivers built into them, including the Nikon SB5000. Godox (and similar) just offer a lot for the price compared to the OEM models.

Thanks Phil. Can I ask why though? Do remote triggers just work better than the in built remote function?

Most Nikon flashes have commander compatibility... I'm not aware of any third party flashes that do.

The problem with Nikon's AWLS is that it is optical; it's fine in darker environments and smaller spaces, but radio communication is much more reliable/versatile. Most new advanced speedlights have radio receivers built into them, including the Nikon SB5000. Godox (and similar) just offer a lot for the price compared to the OEM models.
This really; the Nikon (and Canon) optical triggering system is overly complex and unreliable, works brilliantly in a small domestic setting, but that can lead to a huge overconfidence that bites you on the bum the instant you go outside or into a larger space. It also relies on wasting a flashgun in the hotshoe, or having to dive into menus on the rear screen if you have a built in flash.

Radio just works, reliably, consistently, and simply.

Potted history of remote TTL flash:

Nikon's AWLS allows the use of a near IR communication between compatible flashguns, as above it's unreliable and a bit clunky - but it's a gamechanger

Canon copied the above with a similar system but added a hotshoe trigger that could be used instead of a speedlight (no 2nd curtain sync)

Some 3rd party flashguns became available copying the protocols of the above, cheaper but the same issues.

Pocketwizard managed to hack the protocols of Canon and Nikon but replaced the near IR with radio signals (worked but was still a bit clunky and expensive)

Yongnuo copied the above, with a simpler better and cheaper system, the drawback being their 'cheap' flashguns but they were borderline consumables they were so cheap. Also like the PW, each camera brand needed a different product as the radio signal tried to copy the camera protocols.

Canon bit the bullet and built their own radio flash system (slightly too little too late)

Nikon tried to implement their own radio system - but laughably were unable to create a trigger that copied the Yongnuo or PW design that worked with existing cameras, so you not only needed a new flash, but a new camera and a 'dongle'

Godox entered the fray with an affordable, simple solution that used 433mhz, worked well, had a whole family of flash, but the 433 mhz band was prone to clashes.

Godox replaced those triggers with a 2.4g system. It streamlined the process by converting the camera signal into a single Godox protocol, so if you have a Nikon trigger on your Nikon camera, it'll work with all Godox products including speedlights built for other cameras.

Some of the timings may be out (and some other 3rd party solutions) - but it should be clear that whilst Nikon were first to market with remote flash, they've been behind the curve ever since

Last edited:
If you intend to do a lot then the Godox route is the way to go. Or if you may buy more than one flash for example.

Also the radio commander is better than Nikons optical system in some scenarios.

If you really just want one TTL flash them I still think it’s worth looking at a nice used sb910. It’s quite powerful but versatile. About £150 ish.

I use that, an sb500 ( sometimes just as a commander on camera ), a Nikon ttl cord , and sundry other flashes ( in manual ). The sb500 I got used for the z6 - lower GN but otherwise pretty decent

Oh - it’s easier to use if you have a pop up flash. Alas I have a d500 and z6 now which makes it less convenient to use as a remote TTL flash - you need another Nikon unit on camera as commander ) or the TTL cord sb26? Or go manual with a long coax cable ( old school ). Sb910 worked fine with my d7100/d750.

Last edited:
I have the NikonD810 and often use remote flash with the nikon Speedlight SB900.
I use the pixel king pro trsnsmitter and receiver which works extremely well I would suggest grabbinng this one before it goes
link

example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYTF_1W8lPE

I also use with it the phottix WXD-188 remote trigger and receiver. well worth grabbimg at the same time

link
example in my garden
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglXZi1FJ3E

these should sort you out as I have already found them on ebay for you

P1060175.jpg

Last edited:
Back