Beginner Off Camera Flash Test

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Just bought a second flash from the forum and was just having a play with the flash and a soft box. I took this picture, please can you let me know if I have the exposure correct and what I could have done better to improve the photo.

FlashTest
by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Kev

Looks ok to me? if anything maybe a tad over exposed? Shot would be better if you had shot it in portrait mode and cropped tighter...... These are only my opinions BTW

i haven't got a clue about the exposure settings. but he is a very cute cheeky looking chap.

Paul

Will give it a go next time I can get him to sit down and pose.

Thank you both, he is very naughty and cheeky.. :)

Looks fine here. Your monitor set wrong?

Thanks, hope not just calibrated it yesterday. I am still learning OCF so just want to make sure I am heading in the right direction when getting the exposure.

It was Paul I quoted.. not you. He said it looked under exposed. Looks fine here, so I wondered if his monitor was too bright.

Exposure looks fine to, plus a cheeky grin. A little light bounced back would have not gone a miss to lift the shadow in his left eye and side of face.

Typo in second post... I did type over in the initial post. I know you said a tad... but it looks perfect here... if anything.. ever so slightly dark.. which just makes it look really rich. I wasn't having a go.. it was advice... I was merely asking if your screen is set right.

Typo in second post... I did type over in the initial post. I know you said a tad... but it looks perfect here... if anything.. ever so slightly dark.. which just makes it look really rich. I wasn't having a go.. it was advice... I was merely asking if your screen is set right.

I agree. If anything a tiny touch under exposed. If you think it's overexposed, Paul, I suggest that David may be correct re your monitor.

Looks good here, exposure looks fine on my monitor. Love the cheeky grin. Also would have cropped in a bit tighter but that's just ny personal preference!

S

Exposure looks fine to, plus a cheeky grin. A little light bounced back would have not gone a miss to lift the shadow in his left eye and side of face.

Mike,

Thanks, would it be better using a reflector on the left or a flash on low power.

Kev

Looks good here, exposure looks fine on my monitor. Love the cheeky grin. Also would have cropped in a bit tighter but that's just ny personal preference!

S

Thanks Shaheed, no where as good as the ones you post, just need to keep practicing..

Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated.

Experiment with bringing the light more on axis. With one light I like to have it virtually on axis as the brolly at 45* has been done to death - plus you get more even fall off.

The23rdman said:
Experiment with bringing the light more on axis. With one light I like to have it virtually on axis as the brolly at 45* has been done to death - plus you get more even fall off.

Thanks.

I think the confusion about exposure is a result of the fairly severe fall-off in the image. The lighting isn't particularly even hence some bits look over and some under. Mind you I'm on a laptop at the moment so who knows?

I would experiment until you find light you like. I don't worry about whether things are popular, have been done before, get plaudits from a certain group or not. Everything has been done a gazillion times already and there's nothing new to do so I'd just stick with what you like. Everyon has a their own ideas about what looks good.

Bringing it more on axis will certainly help with your fall off issue and that would be a good thing IMHO

Last edited:
I think the confusion about exposure is a result of the fairly severe fall-off in the image. The lighting isn't particularly even hence some bits look over and some under. Mind you I'm on a laptop at the moment so who knows?

I would experiment until you find light you like. I don't worry about whether things are popular, have been done before, get plaudits from a certain group or not. Everything has been done a gazillion times already and there's nothing new to do so I'd just stick with what you like. Everyon has a their own ideas about what looks good.

Bringing it more on axis will certainly help with your fall off issue and that would be a good thing IMHO

Nice shot:) i would be happy if i had taken it:)

Thanks, will practice more.

There is is less light spread with a softbox (as mentioned in the initial post) than with an umbrella, so the the falloff is a little more pronounced.
If you want to a second flash you have more messing about (without using a meter) so I would use a reflector, or as suggested bring the light round slightly toward the camera axis, whichever suits. Bringing the light right round will flatten the image an remove any shadow and shading, which you may not want.

Mike54 said:
There is is less light spread with a softbox (as mentioned in the initial post) than with an umbrella, so the the falloff is a little more pronounced.
If you want to a second flash you have more messing about (without using a meter) so I would use a reflector, or as suggested bring the light round slightly toward the camera axis, whichever suits. Bringing the light right round will flatten the image an remove any shadow and shading, which you may not want.

Thanks. Thinking of getting an umbrella but might have to get a reflector first.

I'd stick with your plan and get an umbrella. You can use an old piece of white board, or a sheet or shirt or a whole load of other things as a reflector so don't splash out on one until you feel happy with what you're doing.

I reckon we're using confusing terms here. But all you need to try is moving the light further away and nearer to the subject and see what happens.

By bringing the light source closer to your subject you will get a nice interesting contrasty look but with smooth transition between light and dark tones. By taking it further away you will get less contrast but a hard shadows and transition and generally less flattering. See what appeals to you. There's no point buying modifiers without knowing what you want them to do.

Here's a great tip. Buy this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384815418&sr=8-2&keywords=light science and magic

It'll pay for itself better than any modifier on the market

Last edited:
I'd stick with your plan and get an umbrella. You can use an old piece of white board, or a sheet or shirt or a whole load of other things as a reflector so don't splash out on one until you feel happy with what you're doing.

I reckon we're using confusing terms here. But all you need to try is moving the light further away and nearer to the subject and see what happens.

By bringing the light source closer to your subject you will get a nice interesting contrasty look but with smooth transition between light and dark tones. By taking it further away you will get less contrast but a hard shadows and transition and generally less flattering. See what appeals to you. There's no point buying modifiers without knowing what you want them to do.

Here's a great tip. Buy this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384815418&sr=8-2&keywords=light science and magic

It'll pay for itself better than any modifier on the market

Thanks, sorry just saw your reply. I have read that book and am currently reading Syl Arena's book which feels a bit more interesting.

I have bought an umbrella which I used at the weekend but the holder was incorrect so had the get the hole drilled larger which I did yesterday so will have a play during Christmas.

Hope it goes well. Syl Arena's book is great for Speedlites. He gives a really good account of practical use of the inverse square law IIRC. The highlight of the book. I have to say I'm not so sure about some of his recommendations for modifiers though

Back