Off Camera with cord & Speedlite 420EX

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
OK a bit of help required with some basic flash photography - I don't anticipate doing too much
with flash so didn't feel I needed an all singing & dancing Speedlite like the 580 so I picked
up a used 420EX & on my 450D it does everything I could wish for - I would like to use the 420EX
off camera though just on its own positioned to the side of the subject (products for £bay etc)
The subject will be close to the camera (within a metre) so I was hoping I could connect the
flash to the camera with a lead? - I don't want to go down the wireless route as that would mean
the expense of a Transmitter like the ST-E2 although no doubt there are non-Canon alternatives?
From what I can see in the manual I believe need the following:
1x Off Camera Shoe cord (do these come in various lengths?)
1x Off Camera Shoe adapter OA-2
1x 420EX mini-stand (are these the same across the Speedlite range or specific to each model?)
The one for my 420EX is missing - Any tips on where to pick one up? - Canon or third party?
That's enough questions for now - Any help greatly appreciated ... Paul (y)

You do NOT need the Off Camera Shoe adapter OA-2

Just the Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3 or ebay clone. I have the Canon OC-E3 and it will stretch to about 50 inch or 130 cm. The end that fixes to the Speedlight has a threaded underside to screw to a tripod on whatever so you would not need the mini-stand either.

You do NOT need the Off Camera Shoe adapter OA-2

Just the Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3 or ebay clone. I have the Canon OC-E3 and it will stretch to about 50 inch or 130 cm. The end that fixes to the Speedlight has a threaded underside to screw to a tripod on whatever so you would not need the mini-stand either.

Whiteflyer - Thanks for that you are a diamond (y) - I was getting worried when I looked at the price of these bits!
Paul

Back