off-white base?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking through a product catalogue for permajet - building a portfolio pretty soon and working on paper choice

i can see a lot of paper stock which is listed as 'off white'

now, i know there are printers that do have white ink, but my understanding is they are very high end, and therefore you wouldent have this volume of papers like that, by percentage

can anyone give me an advantage of having an off white (one of them described it as 'ivory') base, which as far as i know, is essentially muting your maximum white point? :shrug:

It's to effect the "look" of the final print. It suits prints that have a warm tone, especially warm tone B&W. It's can be very nice for portrait work

Paper choice is a very personal thing. There are hundreds to choose from. The best suggestion I can give is buy some of the sample packs and evaluate the papers from that. It's not only the paper colour that can effect your choice it's surface finish, Baryta or non Baryta,not forgetting paper weight. There are lots of variables that can effect your final choice. You may end up having a small range of papers you use, depending on the subject.

so it essense it just affects the color temperature by affecting the neutral temperature?

that makes sense - i guess i forgot about the grey underlay component before *kicks self*

on a side note, have you ever used permajets oyster papers? i gather there the same as pearl, but ive never used that and have no idea what to expect

Photographic paper processed in chemistry has a "stain" level - where the white unexposed paper has a density.

Having an inkjet paper with an off white allows inkjet print match.

Also some of the white papers use optical brightners - (adding a blue like washing powder) which some people find unattractive - and can cause some issues with mono images.

so it has applications in proofing as well?

wouldent you need a scale of off white for that, though? rather than a few isolated papers?

so it has applications in proofing as well?

wouldent you need a scale of off white for that, though? rather than a few isolated papers?

Papers with optical brighteners have visually much whiter bases. You need to take that into account when choosing the paper. The paper profile will take this into account so you'll see a difference when soft proofing.

You need to see the paper rather than try to evaluate the product from a catalogue or description. My current favourites for printing are

Ilford Galerie Fine Smooth pearl

Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk

Hanhemuhle Fine Art Pearl

The last two have very similar characteristics, but have different feel to each other.

It is worth getting sample packs only then will you find the right paper for yourself

fair enough

im interested in ilford, but i hear hanhemuhle are more expensive, so il probably give them a miss. where would you recomend getting hold of samples and posibly the actual thing from?

This looked like a good deal to me:
http://www.1stcameras.com/pd-ilford-galerie-limited-edition-pack-a4-60-sheets.cfm

60 sheets, 10 sheets each of the Ilford Galerie paper. ~50p per sheet
* Smooth Lustre Duo x 10 sheets (A4)
* Smooth Gloss x 10 sheets (A4)
* Smooth Pearl x 10 sheets (A4)
* Gold Fibre Silk x 10 sheets (A4)
* Smooth Fine Art x 10 sheets (A4)
* Smooth Heavyweight Matt x 10 sheets (A4)

I have been using the Lustre Duo myself a lot recently.
I would second the need to get the sheets in your hand. I got a sample pack of I think 15 different types from Hahnemuhle, there is a wide wide variety, and at the moment I can't even work out which photos to put on which type for the best effects.

depends what the paper is made with. some papers look white on their own but put them next to others they look smoked lol epsons premium glossy photo paper is a good example of this as it has no optical brightners in it. If you have a look at olmec gloss it is pretty white but it has OBs in it.

most gloss papers have OBsin them these days - it does not make any difference if you use a good profile, the image looks the same on each paper.

Im looking through a product catalogue for permajet - building a portfolio pretty soon and working on paper choice

i can see a lot of paper stock which is listed as 'off white'

now, i know there are printers that do have white ink, but my understanding is they are very high end, and therefore you wouldent have this volume of papers like that, by percentage

can anyone give me an advantage of having an off white (one of them described it as 'ivory') base, which as far as i know, is essentially muting your maximum white point? :shrug:

fair enough

im interested in ilford, but i hear hanhemuhle are more expensive, so il probably give them a miss. where would you recomend getting hold of samples and posibly the actual thing from?

Ilford do excellent sample packs. You can get them from most outlets, I got mine from Warehouse Express. Hanhemulhe do several trial packs. I'd opt for the Glossy range first ( Most aren't glossy but have a Satin or Pearl finish) Again just Google. Got mine from a company called Artifolk I think

try harman by hahnemuhle art fibre paper

fair enough

Back