Official ID thread

None too sure but would venture to suggest one of the Ichneumon Wasp species?

Hopefully the more insect knowledgeable TPers can advise :)

Its Calameuta pygmeus the Wheat Stem Borer one of the sawfly species. Defo one of the small sawflies.
It was seen right next to a corn field. I was trying to get a photo of it in that heat. Blue sky and very very bright sun. I took one or two photos of it then the bee came in for a bit of glam action

Moth ID please. This guy or gal flew into the kitchen last night and it was still around today, so out came the camera. Not particularly good images but I hope somebody can identify it for me. Used the on-board flash, a rare occasion!

moth_1s.jpg

Thanks in advance

Howard

Moth ID please. This guy or gal flew into the kitchen last night and it was still around today, so out came the camera. Not particularly good images but I hope somebody can identify it for me. Used the on-board flash, a rare occasion!

View attachment 363095

Thanks in advance

Howard
Hi Howard, it is The Dark Spectacle Moth (Abrostola triplasia). ;)

Hi Howard, it is The Dark Spectacle Moth (Abrostola triplasia). ;)

Thanks Alby, that's great. I had never seen one before, according to UKMoths it is quite common in the south but less so up here in Cheshire.

Howard

Thanks Alby, that's great. I had never seen one before, according to UKMoths it is quite common in the south but less so up here in Cheshire.

Howard
No problem Howard, it seems everyting is moving further north as our land warms these days.

I would like a ID on this wee hover fly. Might be a marmalade hover fly, but not sure. There must have been 20 of them on our Broccoli flowers.Hope somebody can point me in the correct directionb2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back