Dropped my 7D and 24-70L. There are casualties....

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 31981

I don't think a 24-70L is supposed to look like this is it? lol
It *was* attached to the camera when it tumbled out of my bag towards the ground....but the road wrenched them apart.

Off to CPS it goes. I really hope it doesn't cost much to repair. The mount on the right has an inch-wide ribbon that was soldered to the lens, so I'm not even going to attempt to put it back together.

Damn, it only dropped 3 feet!

P****d again? :eek:

The fisheye is comfortably in the bag. They've both been used quite extensively today! Just importing to Lightroom now so at least there's some consolation that I might have got a couple of keepers from today!

The fisheye is comfortably in the bag. They've both been used quite extensively today! Just importing to Lightroom now so at least there's some consolation that I might have got a couple of keepers from today!

Only pulling you leg buddy though looking forward to seeing what you've got with both :D

The fisheye is comfortably in the bag. They've both been used quite expensively today! Just importing to Lightroom now so at least there's some consolation that I might have got a couple of keepers from today!
You spelled it wrong.

I'm more concerned that Marcel is an Apple user, by rights he should be using Nikon not Canon :D :exit:

I guess that is what happens when we persuade admin to actually get their cameras out! :exit:

Good luck getting sorted :hug:

Glad it was only his camera he had out! :D

Oh I took my tripod with me too but it was bloody cold up in the Yorkshire Dales.
That cold it'll probably be back out by next Wednesday.

View attachment 31981

I don't think a 24-70L is supposed to look like this is it? lol
It *was* attached to the camera when it tumbled out of my bag towards the ground....but the road wrenched them apart.

Off to CPS it goes. I really hope it doesn't cost much to repair. The mount on the right has an inch-wide ribbon that was soldered to the lens, so I'm not even going to attempt to put it back together.

Damn, it only dropped 3 feet!
I always end with bits left over too when I "fix" things :whistle:

Seems like my 7D's grip took a hit too. It's got a dent in the corner (on the left hand side away from the controls, thankfully), and you need to push the door shut...it doesn't spring open when you release the catch.

Not a massive problem, but at least it all works.

Still gutted about the lens though.

I'm wondering if I should send it to Elstree or CCC. Elstree use Canon's fixed pricing structure don't they?

Elsetree is the Canon. Fixed price only applies to regular servicing. My wild guess would be anywhere from £300 as a best case scenario all the way up to £5-600 in worst case.

Hope the repair isn't too painful though I'm sure @StewartR might have an inclining on the rough cost someone's bound to have done similar
Yeah, I'm sure "someone" must have done something similar, eh Matt? ;)

I'll take a look at my maintenance database tomorrow and see whether I can offer any suggestions re pricing.

Yeah, I'm sure "someone" must have done something similar, eh Matt? ;)

I'll take a look at my maintenance database tomorrow and see whether I can offer any suggestions re pricing.

Hey I'm extra special, I didn't break just one item :p I busted two I one go....must get some sort of prize right?

My repairs database goes back to 2010, and in that time we've sent 79 lenses off to Canon suffering from impact damage. (Plus several which had suspected impact damage, but obviously they wouldn't have been in several pieces if it was only "suspected" impact, so let's not worry about them.)

The vast majority of impacts have one of two symptoms:
  • obvious damage to the front end (broken front element, broken filter, filter jammed on, broken hood, dents, etc);
  • seizure of the zoom and/or focus ring.
It's pretty rare for lenses to actually come apart into several pieces. Only ("only"!) 5 of those 79 lenses were in pieces, and none of them were 24-70s. But most small lenses are pretty similar at the rear end, which is where they tend to break, so it's probably useful to look at what those repairs cost.
  • 24mm f/1.4, February 2012 ... £338
  • 16-35mm f/2.8, March 2013 ... £167
  • 14mm f/2.8, April 2013 ... £582
  • 24mm f/1.4, March 2014 ... £248
  • 16-35mm f/2.8, October 2014 ... £248
(That's the Northern Lights season for you ... windy .. tripod blew over ... dark ... icy ... tripped over tripod ... etc.)

**Make mental note - keep an eye on wind and tripod!!!**

Can you claim on your insurance?

I think I can claim on my house insurance, which I didn't want to do....as it''ll just end up loading my premium.
But then again, this is why we have insurance right?
Catch 22 situation :(

I'll double check my policy. I've only just managed to get my premiums right down too.

I think I can claim on my house insurance, which I didn't want to do....as it''ll just end up loading my premium.

I'll double check my policy. I've only just managed to get my premiums right down too.

yep no point having insurance if your not going to make use of it when you have a valid claim, guess it depends on the cost analysis as to if its worth claiming

I'd mock you but I've just superglued my D5200 to my own hand.

Well I've sent it off today, put a limit on the CPS form for now.
I've not checked with my insurance. There is an outside chance they might want to use their own repairers, although I'm not sure who they'd use.
That said, I only want Canon to look at it anyway, so if they say that's a stipulation of being paid (Their own repairers) then I'll just suck it up.

Sods law that just after it breaks, my daughter's prom dress arrives from the US and I need to film an audition tape for Harvey lol
Best bloody lens n all!

Well, good news!
I put a pre-authorisation amount of £150, and was waiting for the phonecall to say "Actually Mr Booth, it's going to be much more".
Had a text and email today, it's on it's way back!

Now I'm assuming it's been fixed lol
So it must have been under the £150 to repair.
Which means with a £50 excess I'm not sure whether to claim it on my house insurance. If I do claim, then I can get the grip sorted too (slight dent and stiff battery door, so wasn't going to get that fixed if I was paying for it directly).

Well, good news!
I put a pre-authorisation amount of £150, and was waiting for the phonecall to say "Actually Mr Booth, it's going to be much more".
Had a text and email today, it's on it's way back!

Now I'm assuming it's been fixed lol
So it must have been under the £150 to repair.
Which means with a £50 excess I'm not sure whether to claim it on my house insurance. If I do claim, then I can get the grip sorted too (slight dent and stiff battery door, so wasn't going to get that fixed if I was paying for it directly).

Well that's nice news then (y) much better than some of the doom mongers in the thread :p

Good news indeed. And not only better than the doom mongers predicted, but also better than those of us with actual relevant data predicted!
Pah, facts! When have they ever mattered against opinion on TP :D

Good news Marcel. My 24-105 cost £165 when the autofocus broke

Dunno what scares me most ... the image of the lens in bits or the screwdriver nearly out of view in the top right corner! :eek:

I had to claim on my house insurance a couple of years ago due to storm damage, and this didn't put my premiums up at all?

I had to claim on my house insurance a couple of years ago due to storm damage, and this didn't put my premiums up at all?

Ah that's because you were claiming for something that could be proven to be out of your control. I detest how insurance immediately take the view you're "pulling a fast one".

Not saying Marcel is at all - he's not that kind of guy. But, most insurance companies start by thinking we are all "on the make".

Well I spoke to my insurance over the weekend, and explained that although I may want to start a claim, I've already sent the lens off for repair.
I explained that due to what it is, I'm sure they won't have an approved repairer for it. Besides, I'd only want Canon fixing the lens anyway.
She agreed and understood.

Now looking at the bill, it's come to 103.21. There is a "Part Goodwill" line on there for 39.44- So I'm not sure exactly what that's for.
There is a list of parts they've replaced which is nice to know.

Oh I've just noticed, there's a page 2...plus vat which comes to 123.85 :D

Still less than what I feared (I was expecting around 2-300 tbh).

I've decided I'm not going to claim on my insurance, and instead just take the hit (pun intended).
If I claimed, I could get my battery grip sorted, but tbh it's not essential and I'd rather have my insurance should anything bigger happen in the near future.

Good news indeed. And not only better than the doom mongers predicted, but also better than those of us with actual relevant data predicted!

Looking at the data you showed me, I am rather pleased it turned out better than expected! Although your repair costs did vary greatly from one extreme to another...the average did look like I was going to pay at least double what I have.

Back