Oil and Water with a twist

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have been trying to perfect different ways of shooting Oil on Water

Ive attached 2 images that are different in so much as I added a deep red coloured wrapping paper under the bowl to create this

goldenglobesEXIF.jpg

Wrapping paper with Stars printed on it are clearly visible in the bubbles of this shot

StarBurst.jpg

C&C welcomed, looking to learn (y)

Les :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dave- just playing with the new ring flash at the moment
any tips on best use?

Les (y)

I like the red one. Nice effect, not so struck on the second one.

we're all entitled to an opinion- thank you for your comments - I actually prefer the 2nd image too

Its a long learning curve this Macro lark :D

Les (y)

yes I think it is-the oil was moving and I used a slow shutter speed - Im new to Macro photography- only just bought a Macro lens - But, I'll persevere (y)

heres my latest

OilCD12.jpg

No flash compensation on the ring flash unit-

102_3552.jpg

can I adjust output through the Camera??

Les ;)

Ps it seem to work very well in Aperture prioity mode and Programme mode

a little bright in manual

Marumi DRF14

Les ;)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77695/show.html

The leaflet I got with it says:

Flash exposure compensation by way of controlling the lighting intensity. can be altered by using the exposure compensation on the dslr body, which allows the flash exposure to be adjusted + or - 3 stops

when exposure compensation is selected the ring flash unit will emit the lighting amount according to the flash exposure adjustment

Ok so wheres the exposure adjustment on my camera lol

UPDATE_ found the Flash compensation mode button on the camera and I can adjust the flash output + or - 3 stops

Thanks Dave youre a star :clap::clap:

or is it page 86 as - Page 88 I think refers to the built in flash and the ring flash as per the photo covers the hotshoe and prevents the in camera flash being activated

Ha ha - its old age Dave- happens to all of us :wave:

Thanks for you patience and advice - I'll go practice my Exposure compensation now

Cheer mate

Like the latest shot Les :clap:

A great start to macro. Much better than my first attempts. Just need to look out for some little garden critters now. I'd like to see afew insect shots with that 'Marumi DRF14' ring flash. Ive looked at that ringflash before for my A700 so im quite interested in seeing afew more results.

Thank you Chris- I like it too ;)

The new Ring Flash looks sturdy enough -and not a major expense around £120 if you shop around

Ive done a couple of flowers with the Sony Alpha 390 on manual setings and needed to compensate the exposure by - 1.5 stops to get the flash exposure right,when close up to the subject as their is no power out put settings on the flash unit- good job Sony incorporate this feature in their camera's :clap:

I'll post some images as soon as I find some Insects or Fungi - Im out and about tomorrow

Are you going to be hand holing when doing insects Les, if so, try these settings in Manual ISO 200, F8/11, shutter 1/250th sec fire your flash, (plus any compensation either way + or - its usually minus) this is the optimum speed for your flash so you will get sharp shots sometimes they look a little dark, but easy to lighten in PP, have a try tonight with something/anything you'll see it works (y) forgot what the techniques called:thinking: old age again :LOL:

Last edited:
I'll give those setting a try Dave, thank you (y)

Les

Back