Oil Drops in Water

Thanks
It's different coloured card laid on the floor, I then put some water in a Pyrex dish and placed it on a sheet of glass that was about 2 ft off the ground above the card. I shone a lamp onto the card an dropped some vegetable oil into the water and started snapping.
Had to zoom in a bit on PS and that how they turned out.

Give it a go it's pretty easy

I like these types of shots. Give it a go with some 3D effect wrapping paper under the dish to get some trippy results.

They're good. I like these kinds of shots. The colour seems a bit over-saturated, but that might be my (laptop) monitor.

I had some interesting effects using food colouring with the oil and water too.

Cheers matt that sounds good I'll give it a go next time the wife has one born every minute on the telly :)

I know what you mean babs that first one does look a bit bright, it's only had a small levels adjustment tho? Oh well I like it anyway lol

Brilliant them matt really good. Are they done with the 3d wrapping paper? Might have to make a trip to clintons : )

Thank you(y). These were taken on 3D paper(I think it was a gift bag) with the dish right on top of it. I'm going to try it your way to see if that will help with the light reflecting of the oil.

Here we go this is how i did it.

First off theres a few basic things you need

: Camera (obviuously)
: Tripod
: Cable release or self timer on camera
: Lens (a macro would be better but ive only got a 18-70 mm kit lens so thats what i used) Used PS to crop and zoom later
: Coloured card (any colour you want really but i found the darker vivid colours worked best)
: Desk Lamp
: Pyrex Dish
: Sheet of glasss (i used a sheet out of a big picture frame)
: Something to balance the glasss on a few feet off the ground (i used two old speakers)
: Cooking oil
: Water

Now to set up rest your glass (or whatever your using) across your two props and lay the card out on the floor beneath it.

Next, set the lamp up so it shines directly at the card about 12 inches away (you can experiment with this distance when you start shooting to get the best results)

Next, place the pyrex dish so its directly above your card, and put some water in it. Just enough to cover the bottom of the dish. Now start dripping some oil into the water so you get a few bubbles, its up to you how much oil, depends how many bubbles you want.

Now set your camera up on the tripod. In manual mode i used an aperture of f/11, a shutter speed of 1/50 sec and ISO set to 200. Position the camera as close to the water as you can to achieve focus on the bubbles. I used manual focus because the auto was struggling to find the bubbles. I also zoomed right in at 70mm because i dont have a macro lens.

Now set your self timer to 2 sec or whatever and start shooting. Have a look at the images you take and adjust your settings accordingly. Zoom in on your LCD to make sure the bubbles are sharp and in focus.

In PP you can do whatever you need to get the desired images. I had to crop and zoom in to get the ones i did. Then just some small levels adjustments to get right brightness etc.

If you havn't got a bit of glass or the capability to shoot from off the ground then you dont have to. matt b took some great shots just using 3d paper underneath the dish. Just experiment with whatever youve got lying around the house.

Hope i covered everything here, let me know if you need any more help.

Sean

Thank you Sean, very good of you to put yourself out.
I think a lot of folks are grateful for this info
Cheers
Mal

Back