Old Abandoned Fishing Boats - Does this work?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I really can't decide about this, so I thought I'd ask, does this work? I really am not sure. One side of me says 'needs a better sky and the sun to be out', but then the other side of me says 'they're abandoned and rotting away so the grim weather is in keeping'.

Not sure about the composition either, damn these landscapey type things are difficult!!!!

mull-old-boats.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

I like the composition, but I think I would have give a bit more space to the front of the front boat, seems a little cramped, and less to the back of the last boat

Not grim enough!
It looks quite pleasant and it shouldn't. It should look more gloomy, more shadowy, more nasty.

Have you tried this in b & w?

A slightly different composition may have helped. I would have perhaps tried to get all of the front ropes in the shot, rather than crop them. Also a bit of light between the boats could of been effective.

Nice shot though (y)

I like it but agree that it would be good to see in mono. Definitely needs more space for the boat on the left - the cut off rope is distracting to me.

Couldn't really get any further round or really any further back, but I took this earlier in the day, given the sky a quick bit of PP and I quite like it, in fact I think I prefer it to the first image. Looks nice in B&W but I keep getting drawn to the colour version.

mull-old-boats-moody.jpg

Last edited:
Are these the two old boats just outside Salen on the Isle of Mull? They look remarkably the same if they're not.

The first shot kinda works for me but I'd agree that the boats might have been better placed at the other side of the frame with the space to thefront of them rather than behind them. The PP work gives it a dreamy feel which I quite like :)

I think the second version is also good but again I feel that the space should maybe have been towards the front of the boats rather than the rear.

Good shots though, well exposed and the PP has been well handled, well done :)

I should be on the way to work so this is a quicky.

I much prefer the atmosphere of the second although I feel it needs a touch more contrast and a crop to emphasise the boats. Robert Capa once said, If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.” This usually works for all types of photography not just war/correspondance.

I think the second picture seems to me to be two pictures in one, one with interest, nice lighting and potential and one fit for the bin.

mull-old-boats-moodyleft.jpg
mull-old-boats-moodyright.jpg

The left hand image to my opinion is where we should start. It may have been said that you were trying to give a feeling of isolation for the rotting boats but this would really have required a lot more space at the front of the boats and for them to be placed a lot more centrally (and thus giving a static feel), thus I feel that the large amount of space on the RHS detracts from rather than enhances the image.

Whilst like the left hand image and feel that it would make a great painting with it's dramatic sky, I persoanlly like the rotting, decaying feel and the would remove the bright sky at the top giving a much more gloomy feel.

mull-old-boats-moodycrop.jpg

Back